86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New clutch seems loose

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New clutch seems loose

So I just recently installed a new clutch and flywheel after the installation it seemed like the clutch pedal was really easy to push, the clutch engages and disengages fine, and I'm sure there is no air in the system as I bled the crap out of it but still loose, I thought it may be the master or slave cly. but I don't think it is cause prior to removing the old clutch it was stiff, is there any way I could tighten it somehow?
Old 12-06-2010, 01:39 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Well depending on the condition of the old clutch disc and pressure plate when you removed them, being looser than that could be considered normal. You see if the the old clutch disc was worn to the point that it took extra pushing length on the pressure plate to disengage it, that could mean that the extra travel of the pressure plate release mechanism would translate into extra stiffness in the clutch pedal. So with a new clutch disc installed the pressure plate requires less travel, and would therefor be less stiff in comparison when disengaging the clutch. That would translate into less effort needed to push the clutch pedal to the floor, or a "loose" feeling pedal as you've described it.

However if you've just replaced a heavy duty pressure plate with a stock type one, then that's undoubtedly why it feels "looser".

And no, there's no way to stiffen or tighten it. If it appears to be functioning correctly, then there's nothing wrong with it. You'll just need to get used to it. Or replace the pressure plate with a heavy duty one with more clamping force, if you want it to be tighter/stiffer.

Last edited by MudHippy; 12-06-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you lubricated the ball stud and the shaft the throw out bearing rides on, could cause it to move easier also. Everything could have been binding a little bit.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ahhh okay, well I can undertand the fact that the pressure plate not having to move as far translating into less pedal resistance. However the clutch and flywheel were both heavier duty than the ones I pulled out but I'm not to sure about the pressure plate I didn't really compare them. After its all said and done the clutch grabs really hard now so I guess I should quit bitchin and get used to it haha. Thanks for your guys insight though!!