86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Aussie Locker in Front

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Aussie Locker in Front

Just finished installing the Aussie locker in the front of my 86 4R. The overall install was pretty simple. This is the first time doing something this big for me. Before this install the biggest thing I did was oil change and installing my Downey suspension. So overall I think anyone can do this install. There were plenty of info on here and from Zuk's site.

I have to thank both Zuk & Theo (86Original) for there help by PM. Hopefully this weekend I will be able to take it out on the trail to truely test it. Tonight I just went to local park area and tested it very lightly. Just from initial testing it seems great. There is one section where I use to spin my wheels and had to drop it into 4LO. But this time I just had it in 4H and hubs locked and it just crawled up. When I tested it in 4LO it seemed so effortless!!

I will report back again after taking it out this weekend on the trail. I am going to see how I like it and then decide on getting the rear locker. This time around I got a great deal on this locker so I had to get it. Initially I was just going to do a rear e-locker but now I think I will go w/ Aussie for the rear too. I like how it drives w/ the front in 2WD. I am not sure how it will be in the rear but I am sure its something I can get use to for the advantages of having it.

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to share w/ everyone just in case it helps someone out there thinking of getting an Aussie.

Steve
Old 09-19-2006, 11:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
nice
Old 09-20-2006, 09:16 AM

what type of locker is an aussie is it more like a limited slip or do you engage it into fulltime? how much was it? and do you still have your IFS how was it instaliing it into your diff?
Old 09-20-2006, 11:11 AM

aussie is a locker, it engages on its own. no limited slip here as the power IS distributed evenly with a locker. but here is there site.

http://www.aussielocker.com/make.php.../9edb/20/.html
Old 09-20-2006, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sonofmayhem
aussie is a locker, it engages on its own. no limited slip here as the power IS distributed evenly with a locker. but here is there site.

http://www.aussielocker.com/make.php.../9edb/20/.html
thanks sono, thoes lockers sound realy nice from the site! have you ever installed on in the front diff?
Old 09-20-2006, 02:50 PM

The install was not too bad. Again, this was my first time doing anything like this and w/ the instructions and Zuk's site everything went pretty smooth. I was hesitant at first on doing this but I researched on here and Zuk's site and decided to do it. I am glad I did it too cause I learned alot from it. I plan on doing the rear install once I decide to get the rear locker.

I believe the regular price for the lockers is like $252 shipped. I however, was able to pick it up from someone new that didn't want it anymore for less. That was my main reason for going w/ it at first.

hth
Old 09-30-2006, 09:55 PM

Just wanted to update and let everyone know that the front locker performed very well. We went to a local trail today the truck performed very well. The cost and time to install the locker was completely worth it. I was able to do optional climbs that I couldn't before being open. Also, w/ the locker I was able to just crawl my way through pretty much everything. Whereas, before the locker I had to use a lot of momentum. So not having to use lots of speed was nice. The only thing that was not great was the steering which I already knew before purchasing the locker. On slick rock the steering is some what tough. On tight turns I had to do back up a few times to make the turn. But overall I would say the lockers are great!

My rear aussies should be coming in next Wed. or Thurs. I can't wait to get the rear lockers installed. Thanks for time. Just wanted to let everyone know how the lockers worked out.

Steve
Old 01-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Steve, any updates on how the aussies are working out for you? Did you get the rear installed?
Old 01-06-2007, 12:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since this got brought up, anyone had problems with worn our Differential cases?

I was interested in the Aussie as well but my rear-dif case was worn out. the spider gears wobbled around in the case. I was told this is the tole tail sign of a worn case. I never took the case apart to investigate the truth about what actually WORE out but I'm wondering if anyone actually has?

Zuk?

What actually wears out in the stock open carriers? is it the bearings? The actual spider gear(s)?

Anyways, since this I've been hesitant about installing lockers like the Aussie that require the STOCK carrier. So I put a Detroit Truetrac in my rear 3rd (all new differential, opposed to re-using stock Differential case).

anyhoo, for those out there considering Steve's setup you may want to consider an Aussie for the rear-end and a Truetrac (Limited Slip Dif) for the front to avoid the steering problems associated with front auto lockers.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:28 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by drew303
Since this got brought up, anyone had problems with worn our Differential cases?

I was interested in the Aussie as well but my rear-dif case was worn out. the spider gears wobbled around in the case. I was told this is the tole tail sign of a worn case. I never took the case apart to investigate the truth about what actually WORE out but I'm wondering if anyone actually has?

Zuk?

What actually wears out in the stock open carriers? is it the bearings? The actual spider gear(s)?

Anyways, since this I've been hesitant about installing lockers like the Aussie that require the STOCK carrier. So I put a Detroit Truetrac in my rear 3rd (all new differential, opposed to re-using stock Differential case).

anyhoo, for those out there considering Steve's setup you may want to consider an Aussie for the rear-end and a Truetrac (Limited Slip Dif) for the front to avoid the steering problems associated with front auto lockers.
Ya...the sidegears can get real sloppy fitting....also the power pin (crosspin) can wear an egg shaped hole in the case itself. I've seen both conditions. Lots of folks have spare case laying around. Even I do. If the gear oil hasn't been changed in 10 years then that can happen.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:50 PM

steve installed the front aussie first, as he got a good deal. i'm only going to be able to do one a season, so is there any advantage to doing the rear first? for me, it's my dd and i'm more concerned with snow/ice in the high country.
thanks.
nice site zuk!!
Old 01-06-2007, 05:33 PM

I want to get a locker for the front dif. However can I still use 4wd in ice/snow conditions. I heard there are certain considerations with a locker use in those conditions.

wooohooo 100 posts!
Old 01-06-2007, 05:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes you can, just be careful. The only difference is your more prone to have your rear-end slip out from behind you because both tires are being driven so they both break free of traction at the same time (in an ice covered road situation).

Just drive carefully and slow and off the pedal. IMO only stupidity gets you into a stupid situation. DRIVE CAREFULLY
Old 01-06-2007, 05:43 PM

so the rear tires will slip with a front locker? or the same tires with the locker? I thought just get the locker up front so I just have it when I need it, is that a good idea?
Old 01-06-2007, 06:23 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Even when offroading your rear tires do most of the work. I would suggest a rear locker before a front one.

If you think about how the weight is distributed when climbing a hill, it is more important that the rear have traction.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:52 PM

I just don't want to deal with the rough ride of having a rear locker unless I can get an air locker but those are expensive.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by drew303
only stupidity gets you into a stupid situation.
hahaha sorry to go off-topic but that just reminded me of something I saw at the beach today. A new ford explorer (almost 4wd) stuck in about 4" of sand, no more than 20 feet off the pavement - being yanked out by a tow truck. I wish I was more attentive, I was parked right near them and could have saved them at least a hundred dollars. and maybe had an opportunity to use my dormant tow rope. the irony is that the parking lot was on the other side of the street. :bigclap:
Old 01-06-2007, 09:23 PM

explain how it was "almost 4wd?" What did they do to get stuck?