Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Need to tap a wire to activate flashers from keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 05:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Need to tap a wire to activate flashers from keyless entry

91 SRV V6 3VZE 4door, auto

I've been searching, reading, and studying for weeks now but i can't figure this out. I followed a very on-point video on youtube by some kid who had installed a cheap keyless entry system into his T4R (link below). Everything was spot-on until i got to the 'green wire' he tapped to activate the flashers (around 3:30 in the video). My fuse panel is very similar to, but different, and there is no explicit green flasher wire in that location. There's a harness which I now believe is the bundle of wires that go into the engine compartment which has two different dark green wires with something like brown traces on them, it was probably stupid but i tried both and neither of them were the one i want. I know there's a taillight relay there, but there is no wire coming out of it so i guess that doesn't do me much good. i've also read that there's a flasher relay up underneath the steering wheel but it's famously difficult to get to and again - i'm not sure a relay does me any good? i've had it apart for weeks now, everything is ready to go back together but i really want to try to get this last piece wired before I start driving it again.

TIA.

install video:

keyless entry:
Amazon Amazon
Old 09-27-2023, 07:08 AM

Received 826 Likes on 653 Posts
Hmm. The directions say "The installation had better to be operated by the technician in 4S automobile stores or formal automobile repair stores, rather than yourself." Well, now you know.

The directions indicate the brown wires go to the turn signals, which are G-Y and G-B. But he may have actually hooked them both to the taillight, which is G-R. Well, that doesn't help.

UNLESS ... he lives in Canada. My EWD shows the taillight wire (pin 11, in connector I-11 to the integration relay) is solid Green up in the Great White North.

I'm guessing you don't know where the integration relay connector is, so you could try to locate the G-R wire and test for battery voltage with the taillights on.

Good luck!

Last edited by scope103; 09-27-2023 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-27-2023, 12:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah i'm no pro, clearly

...when you say 11 pin connector is that the harness coming to the fuse panel from behind? Thanks for your reply.
Old 09-28-2023, 06:03 AM

Received 826 Likes on 653 Posts
Toyota calls the block by the driver's knee "Junction Block No 1." We call it the inside fuse panel. Somewhere near that (behind most often) is a white box with mystery contents called the Integration Relay. This might help: https://web.archive.org/web/20110205.../4lighting.pdf

Alas, Junction Block No 1" is one of the few parts that changes with year and equipment, so the manual will only be approximate. But I think you're trying to find the tail light wire, so whatever location or color, your multimeter will tell the tale.
The following users liked this post:
tntwyckoff (09-28-2023)