86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help

so I have a 1990 extra cab v6 5 speed 2wd. It’s bagged. I know I have a short in the lighting because when I have parking lights turned off the blinkers work fine but when I turn the right blinker on all the parking lights flash with it but if I have my parking lights on the right turn signal stays on. All exterior turn signal lights stay on and dash right turn indicator stays on. I’m digging into that shirt to find the issue. But the bigger issue I am having is the truck won’t start unless it’s jumped. Alternator is charging good. I could possibly have a weak battery but it’s reading 12.4 volts and won’t crank. But as soon as I hook up another car to it it will fire up the first crank. No hesitation. What r ur guys thoughts. It’s just hard to check for shorts when I can’t get a reliable start with out jumping it. Any input will help. Thanks in advance
Old 05-13-2018, 03:07 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Some history ??

New to you vehicle ?

This no cranking is a new problem??

It comes back to the above questions .

Can be a issue any place in the starting circuit .

Poor or dirty connections, weak battery starter solenoid needing attention any or all of those

When did the light problem start ??.

Your light problem sounds like a poor ground in the turn signal socket in the rear

If you have a trailer light converter box another place that can cause interesting light problems
Old 05-13-2018, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’ve had the truck for about 4 years. Been parked for over a year. Both issues started when I just pulled it out the other day. I charged the battery up and over night it drained its self while I’m hooked from the truck. I’m gonna re do the whole battery system and run two batteries. Gonna go threw and re do a bunch of the wiring and change out a lot of the grounds and see where that gets me. Thank u for the fast response. I just have so much power going out between the sound system and the compressors for the bags. That I need to do a lot of upgrading.

One question i on I do have is can I run a bigger wire from alternator straight to the battery or does it have to go threw the fuse box.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:19 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Like mentioned above, possible bad ground at the lights sockets. Buy check everything there.

Re: no crank​​​​...
Start by cleaning up all your power wiring. ALL connections to the battery, not just the cliched "check grounds".

Originally Posted by Thomas Johnson
..One question i on I do have is can I run a bigger wire from alternator straight to the battery or does it have to go threw the fuse box.
Nothing is wrong with the stock power circuit. I have a 32 YO truck, yet I see no issue with it. Problem comes from bad connections, corroded / broken wires. IF you connect a wire directly.from battery to alternator you will bypass the fuse network that's there to protect the stock wiring.