Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Need some good advice on a 22-re problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thook I am so glad you chimed in. I have been reading your posts on Chefs thread...good stuff. This weekend I eliminated the AFM (installed new one), eliminated the 02 sensor, (unhooked it), and tested the coil, (good). I also replaced all the rubber fuel lines. I did get the thermo sensor replaced a while back but I dont know what the fuel pressure regulator is.. I will have to check into that. I also talked to a mechanic today that was recommended to me. He explained that the last 22-re he worked on had dirty injectors and the symptom were exactly what I am dealing with. Can injectors be taken out and cleaned? I would look but I am at work and dont have access to Chiltons. I will find out tonight though. I bought some gum out and will try that before I tear the thing apart...again! Thanks guys.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:22 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Having clean injectors with all these new parts, semi-build, would really be a good idea. You have to remove the plenum(upper intake) to get the fuel rail out, then injectors, and then you need to be sure that you flush out the lines(read my thread, lol) and fuel rail, then send off the injectors to witch hunter or RC, .....or walk them in if you've got a local injector service(recommended, as you wont have to wait but one day). While your in there, check all the connectors, put dielectric grease in ALL of them, and clean any connections/connectors that seem a lil corroded or oxidized(you can use electrical cleaner).

Most Injector service is about 100$ for all four, including mailing. Mine was around 100$ total, including having the CSI cleaned as well, as I walked them in and walked them out the next day.

Of course, I'm only mentioning this stuff IF you do decide to have them cleaned. Take a good look in the lower intake to see if it's disgusting, hehee, and also, ....clean out the plenum REALLY well if you've not already.

FPR is on the back end of the fuel rail and is connected to the vacuum on your VSV(air valve on top of the valve cover toward the back).
Old 07-06-2010, 03:33 PM

I will check into having them done locally for sure. I have had the injectors in the back of my mind this whole time after seeing the condition of the inside of the gas tank. I just really didn't want to pull of the EFI again. It is has been long enough ago though that I really dont mind it. I guess I am willing to do anything at this point to be able to cruise down the road with no problems. One thing for sure though, when I am done, the engine will be mostly new...grin.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:44 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks, ehertz. I do my best....

You can try some Seafoam through the injectors, but depending on how clogged they are, you may not have much luck. I'd done it several times. But, when I rebuilt, I went ahead and had the injectors refurbished by Mr. Injector. Found him on ebay. Certainly less than $100 with shipping. I wanna say 30-$40 less. And, he did a great job. But, whatever you want to do. Others have had luck with Seafoam. Anyway, after I'd gotten the flow charts back I could see all the Seafoam'ing didn't do much. I've read about another product, though, here at YT that's supposedly much better than Seafoam when it comes to fuel system cleaning. I'll see if I can find that info, again.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:15 AM

Thanks for the reply and advice. I tried both the lucas and gum out treatments but that did not seem to help. Last night I went ahead and pulled off the EFI to get to the injectors, and got them out this morning. When I took off the EFI/throttlebody, I found a vacum line that was not attached. I could not see it when everything was assembled due to the EFI. It is a line that comes from the EGR Vacum Modulator and was supposed to be hooked to the EGR valve. I have attached a photo. The green arrow shows where the line was unhooked and hanging freely. Could this have been causing my problems?
I am going to try and track down an injector cleaner locally today. More to come....
Attached Thumbnails Need some good advice on a 22-re problem-egr-vacum-modulator-egr-valve.jpg  
Old 07-07-2010, 08:32 AM

Mm....yeah....hahaha. The EGR is supposed to open for high flow under high temp's and hard acceleration. With that line being disconnected, there is a vacuum leak at the modulator preventing the opening of the EGR.

Here's a good link...
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h61.pdf

Man, if there was ever a reason for anyone to get a smoke test run to rule out vacuum leaks, this would be one. The little things that are hard to track down. Ya hear that, Chef! Get a smoke test run...asap.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:49 AM

............ hahahahaha. I hear ya, ....still waiting for this guy who's connected to all the shops near me to give me a call. I promise, Thook,... I'm not afraid of the smoke test, ahhahahaa.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:50 AM

Looks like that could certainly cause the sort of problem I am having!!!! I am going to proceed with the injectors though since I have got them out. Dont you think? YOu guys rock!
Old 07-07-2010, 09:02 AM

Yeah....might as well since you have them out.

I believe you, Chef. I just wouldn't be surprised if your crawling idle was a vacuum leak.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:06 AM

You'll be amazed, Hertz, how different the flow pattern/leak test results come back, AFTER proper cleaning/conditioning!!! Mine started at around 148 on two of them, leaking, as well as the CSI a bit wide and leaking.....all came back "Excellent" and "No leaks", ....not to mention with new O-Rings, Grommets, Filters, etc...... I'm not aware of the one Thook mentioned that tests all 4 for 40$...but hey, it's up to you. Most on here use Witch Hunter, ...I used RC Injectors because they're right up the street in Torrance, CA. So I walked them in and picked them up the next day, and BONUS; I was able to TALK TO THEM about many other issues they find while building race motors, etc.

It's a good thing to have done, Hertz....you could DEFINITELY run into issues, later on, with them, ....and you'll only have to tear the intake back down, etc., once again, once they finally get so clogged or stuck open/closed, .....IMHO....WELL worth it, they're crucial!

I'ma watchin! lol.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:08 AM

Yeah, could be the Booster, but I've not had time to change that out, bleed the brake system after, etc., just to CHECK if it's bad or not. Could be many things at this point, suppose. , lol.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:09 AM

No, no.....not $40 for the service. It was $40 or so less than $100. So, around $60-$70. I don't remember as that was over two years ago.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:09 AM

I'm going to try and bypass the booster again, plugging it up at the plenum,....just to see if my idle creeps up again. Ok, done with my highjack, hahaha.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:10 AM

Ahhhhhh(on the injector pricing)...I see!
Old 07-07-2010, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Yeah, could be the Booster, but I've not had time to change that out, bleed the brake system after, etc., just to CHECK if it's bad or not. Could be many things at this point, suppose. , lol.
I believe we're closer than you think to getting her wrapped up.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:50 PM

The screens in the injectors look clean, and I would like to save the money and go home tonight and put them back in (with the ERG vacum line hooked up) and try to run it....but I am going to hold off and send them into Mr. Injector. My wife is certainly not going to like the idea of spending more money on the 4Runs, but I want the piece of mind of having it done. It is $16.00 per injector and that includes the parts, plus a $5 shipping charge. A local shop wants $20.00 each not including parts, so I am going to ship them out to Mr. Injector and hopefully save a little $. In the mean time I have got a radio/cd player from a friend, and I have to clean out the plenum. I will milk out those jobs to keep me occupied until I can reassemble everything.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:26 PM

Injectors should arrive tomorrow. Cant wait to get them back. I have picked up an 86 Trooper II in the mean time. Motor seems to be good, but I have to replace the clutch. This will be a crash course in clutches for me. Anyone have any comments on the Troopers? I have not heard much feedback on them?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:39 PM

AFAIK, the 4 cylinder models were good. That's all I know....hehehe.

I just ordered an injector rebuild kit from Mr. Injector today. I'll be rebuilding my wife's as all but one (which is relatively new) have over 200k on them. Truck's acting funny intermittently like it's not getting enough fuel under load. Fuel pump's new, filter's new, COR's new, AFM's new, no lines are obstructed, so that's all it could be. Hmph.....this'll be a first for me. Butz! I have new ultrasonic cleaner....woohoo! Plus, I the ones I'm actually rebuilding are a spare set.......meaning, I'll rebuild the ones I'm removing at a later date and have spares yet again. So, down time oughtta be a day or two at most for her.

Oh, and I got a low down on a really good method of keeping injectors clean, clean, clean alleviating having to do them every 100k or so. Pintle injectors are the earliest style. As well, they're the most prone to clogging.

I hope this works out well for you, ehertz. EGR and new injectors.....hopefully means da' fix.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:56 PM

Sweet!! Doing your own I mean...I dont like having to send things off and I'd rather do it myself too. Injectors are a foriegn object to me though. I didnt even know they could be rebuilt...How does the ultrasonic cleaner work? I am guessing that is quite different from a standard parts cleaner? I know stupid question...Sooo I am keeping a positive outlook on things and I am CONVINCED!!! this will solve my problems
Old 07-13-2010, 07:59 PM

Oh yah, Thook are you close to the Buffalo? Love the Buff!!! Will be there 2 weeks from now. Likely Woolum to Tyler Bend. I have installed the yakima racks on the 4runner and have the canoe polished. I am ready to go...as long as the 4runs is!

Quick Reply: Need some good advice on a 22-re problem