Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

need major help!! No spark wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need major help!! No spark wont start

I was adding some lights to my rig by taking 12volts from the positive block that is beside the coil on my 91, when i was tighting up the bolt that holds the wires i touch my wrench off the fender which sparked pretty big which made me let go the wrench and it touched off the top of the coil and sparked again.

Now the truck wont start, it work fine before litterly 5 mins later it wouldnt. All the fuses under the hood and kick pannel are good, i tested the coil for resistance and the secondary resistance reading is in spec but measuring it off the two terminals on the front gave me 1.1ohms and it's supposed to be .5 to .7ohms. Plus in the manual it says that if the coil or the igniter ground out they could be damged. I really need some help here as this is my daily driver and i need to get to work monday.

Ok I copied that from another forum, since then i've replaced the coil and igniter from a running truck, and tried and working ECU and i still have no spark from the coil. I checked the pickup in the Distributor and its good, I think all the fuses are good, the large 30 amp ones in the fuse box under the hood look un-broken. Could it be the "head" relay the red one in the fuse box under the hood, how would i check that?

I'm starting to get really pissed off here as i'ver pretty much changed or check everything that it could be......i know my dis cap and rotor are a bit worn but it should still spark right off the coil wouldn't it? I need some help and suggestions for sure!!
Old 04-14-2009, 02:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Well, it's going to happen anyway, so:

WHY THE H*LL WEREN'T YOU TAPPING DIRECTLY FROM THE FUSE PANEL TO INSTALL LIGHTS?!??!?

OK, now that's done....

There's no telling what else you fried when you grounded out the coil. The only thing to do is go from that point backward, checking the entire circuit. Sorry, don't any further wisdom to impart....good luck.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:31 AM

Ya i know it was a stupid move, i was in a rush and wasn't thinking. Like i said as far i know everything is good and checks out, i still have to check the open curcuit relay but i'm sure that was nothing to do with spark.

Maybe the ignition switch is burt? But i still have all the dash lights when the key is on, power at the coil as well.

Like is there any hidden fuseable links or somthing i'm missing?
Old 04-18-2009, 02:36 PM

BUMP!!!

Anyways pulled the codes and got the RPM Signal one which is No signal from "Ne(distributor) and G(ground?) to the ECU". By looking at my circuit drawing from the FSM the Ne wire comes off the lgniter/harness plug to the ECU, when i checked that wire with the key ON i have power there.....maybe i dont have a good enough ground for the distributor. Can i add a jumper to ground on the distributor wire?
Old 04-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Check all the fuses, in cab and engine bay.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:46 PM

did that a weekago, they 're all good
Old 04-21-2009, 04:56 PM

did you test the fuses or did you just do a visual check? i bet next time you unhook the battery.