Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

?? Need help in wiring in rebuilt motor.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
?? Need help in wiring in rebuilt motor.

(The motor is a 3VZE, v6.) Ok, so I'm just finishing up a nice year long project of stripping out and putting in a freshly rebuilt motor. Only problem is that I discovered a wire I did not realize was there, and I have no clue as to what it might ahve been connected to, or what it could have been possibly connected to.

It is located underneath the crossover, dead center in the back of the motor. I have a second, older motor, exact same one, it has the hole in the block where it comes out, but no wire... Also I do not see anyway to access the wire now that the engine is back in, as it is behind the crossover, and the only way to get to it with the crossover on is from below it, but now that the tranny is bolted back on, the bellhousing makes it impossible to get to it.

I am wondering if it is just extra? Or an accessory? I cannot find it in the wiring diagram for the 90-95 service toyota repair manual.

I also cannot see anything at this point that would possibly plug into it... So any any ANY help would be extremely appreciated....

this is a farther out few, see next for exact location where the wire comes out...

There is a wire coming out of this hole on my motor, and I do not know why... My friend rebuilt the motor and I do not know if he found it inside i just did not notice when i took the engine out...

This is the spare parts motor

ALMOST DONE!

Last edited by Mattics; 11-09-2007 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Added pictures
Old 11-09-2007, 05:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A photo would probably help.. someone like Max who has done the 3.0 a bunch of times could probably tell you right off the bat.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Without a pic, this would be a guess... but could it just be a ground wire? There is one on the back of the intake, goes to the body.

Post a pic and I am sure YT can figure it out.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:12 PM

Updated ^^^^^ See pics please
Old 11-09-2007, 09:20 PM

Oops :S Er also, would anyone happen to know where these went?
Old 11-09-2007, 09:32 PM
Contributing Member

I think that bottom part in your "parts pic" is for the PS pump or some other accessory.

What does the wire look like? Is it cut, or a plug on one end? Maybe post a pic of the wire for more clues.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:02 AM

Thanks, I was figuring thats where that went. I cannot get an actual picture of the wire now, as it is coming out the motor that is in the truck, but it comes out of the location in that picture I am pointing too... Anyone else got any ideas?
Old 11-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattics
Oops :S Er also, would anyone happen to know where these went?

The bottom left part is a support for the A/C compressor.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:29 PM

The wire, to answer your questions Evolta, had a plug on the end, a in plug, looked like this : [ slot | slot ]
Old 11-11-2007, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

Can you get to this part? It's the water bypass valve at the top/ rear of the block.

It's got one (maybe two) sensors in it that plug in. One is for the engine coolant temperature. Maybe that's where your mystery wire should go.

Hit this link:
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...sm/engine.html

... then, more info is here:
3VZ-E / Engine Mechanical--Cylinder head (page 9)

And here:
3VZ-E / MFI System--ECT sensor
Old 11-11-2007, 11:20 AM

Well I think were getting closer but I don't think thats it It wouldn't quite reach it. And if you look at that exploded picture, the wire is not shown, it would be coming out of the back of the cylinder head, behind the crossover.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not seeing the wire you are talking about.

However the hole you are pointing out goes under the intake manifold and there is a knock sensor under there that has a "pigtail" harness. it should come out between the intake manifold and head on the driver side where it will connect to the harness.

While I was working at the dealer we made a point to replace these "pigtail" harness because when they get old and brittle the insulation will crack and short the signal wire to the shielding.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:22 PM

So if it is just a knock sensor it's not going to kill me if I don't have it hooked up? Because short of repulling the motor I do not have a way of accessing it....
Old 11-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by TNRabbit
The bottom left part is a support for the A/C compressor.

No, that is incorrect.

those are PS pump brackets.

the long skinny one bolts to a lower AC pump bolt, and snakes up to support the pump. the big one is a main pump bracket.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattics
So if it is just a knock sensor it's not going to kill me if I don't have it hooked up? Because short of repulling the motor I do not have a way of accessing it....
The engine will not run right without the knock sensor hooked up. You WILL need to pull the intake back off, to get down to where the knock sensor was hooked up.

Without it, the engine cannot adjust the timing to the ping/knock of your engine, and it can quickly destroy an engine. not to mention the check engine light will be on.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:36 PM

Ok well thank you for the help guys I got down there today and got that intake off, crappy thing was I messed up my timing :S, so I have to redo that still, but I'm going to wait a few days and get a new Knock sensor wire anyway... It had been put in the wrong spot. But I do believe its good to go now Evolta, Death, Target and TN Thank you very much for your help. I'll post when I get it all finished and tell ya'll how it goes :S
Old 11-12-2007, 09:02 PM

Well it seems that most everything has been covered already. The third piece in your pic is a support for a wiring harness. It is held on using the bottom bolt that bolts the starter to the engine. When you have it in the right position you will see the plastic clip (on the wiring harness) that slides over the other end of the metal bracket. Hopefully that makes sense. I just finished fighting with those same 3 parts last weekend.

When I saw where the wire was coming out of I knew it had to be the knock sensor wire. I had to back track a few times when doing my rebuild as well. Made me feel sick when I would see something wrong.

Jason