Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Need Help Splicing Wiring Harness Back Together

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help Splicing Wiring Harness Back Together

I am in the process of combining 2 vehicles, 1 was an 86 and the other an 87. Since one of the people involved in parting out the 87 cut the wiring harness about a foot from the block (I specifically requested that he not do it), I now have to splice the two harness' back together. Out of the 30 something-ish wires, I have spliced together all of the identical wires. What I am having issues with is that I have 10 wires that are not identical. For instance, I have two black wires on one end and two black with markings or stripes on the other end. I have two white wires on one end but no white on the other. There are a couple other wires that are close in color but not exact...i.e., one is yellow but the other is yellow/greenish.

Is there a diagram that shows what some of these wires may be? Possibly one from each of the years so I can cross the different colors that I am left with at either end?
Old 08-31-2010, 07:04 AM

I have the service manual and the diagrams in there are absolutley no help at all.

Anyone?
Old 08-31-2010, 07:20 AM

With out extensive tracing of wires or a really good wiring diagram your SOL, even matching up of same colored wires you might have issues. The worst thing that could happen is you pop a fuse as long as you dealing with all small wires, ie: no ignition wires. My suggestion is power it up and figure out what is not working then put a meter on the wires connected to dash (negative on ground) on the fuse side and hit switches and see what powers up and splice accordingly. To trace wires from the "field side" (example: from a light to the harness) do what is called a continuity test, which is one person jump a wire to ground while the other has a meter to ground and find the dead short (.2 ohms roughly). Other than that rewire the whole thing from scratch.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:40 AM

sounds like a mess! my question is-> what exact model/options you are working with? i had to fix a wiring harness, actually REPLACE a small section(small compared to your issue) in my car for the AC circuit. even with different schematics covering the different models, several trips to the local upullit, my experiance as an electrician and engineering student... my repair entailed pin-to-pin chasing/tracing. what a pain in the arse! i can help some. but pls give more info on vehicle-engine-trans- i.e.- even in the same damn year model, i've seen differences in harnesses.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:47 AM

It does have the potential to be a complete PITA!

Right now I am trying to find out if the other end of the wiring harness is in use, available or at the dump. The guy that got the motor cut the harness to make pulling the motor easier, but I am not sure if he was actually going to use it. It would be a stroke of luck is he removed the wiring from the block and the section that I need is on the garage floor.

If that is not the case then I am not looking forward to making sure I get the wiring correct....wire by wire.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:43 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
again more info ..
what years trucks 4runners , what engines from both .. auto manual . both

what part of the harness do you have ..
tAKE SOME PICS WOULD MAKE IT EASIER FOR US TO HELP YOU .

There is a thread around here that shows the ecu pinouts .. you are going to have to get that ..

you will have to trace from pin to part .. if you dont and just go solely by color you will lose..

i just spliced together a 92 lexus to a 1993 lexus .. the exact same color was used a bunch of times , for diffrent parts.

trace pin to part dont take short cuts ..youll regret it later
Old 08-31-2010, 11:53 AM

Motor is from an 86 w/ 22re, manual tranny, didn't have power windows, doors and such. I would like to wire that into an 87 that had a 22re, manual tranny, power windows doors and all the bells and whistles.

I did a little searching and could not find any diagrams, or posts having to do with wiring harness' here or on Pirate. Maybe I am not searching with the correct buzz words. Any pointers?
Old 08-31-2010, 03:18 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If this was my project I would invest in the Toyota electrical manuals from both years.

They only do this by phone 1-800-622-2033 7am to 5 pm pacific time.

I hate to say this but just because a wire is the same color doesn`t mean it is the same circuit On a different year .

Take your time you should get it finished

Solder and heat Shrink with crimp connectors you will have lots of grief
Old 09-01-2010, 02:45 PM

thats not a carburated engine is it??? if its not yuck
Old 09-03-2010, 02:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to ask the question....Why didn't you just switch the 86 engine harness out of the existing truck to the replacement 87 engine? You would have saved yourself a ton of work and your swap would have been a drop in!
Now that you are in the splicing mode your choices are limited. Even with the wiring diagrams for both years you will find wire colors that are one color in the manual and a different color in the harness. Also different model years just adds to the work that you will have to do.
You pretty much have to trace and identify all wires coming from the ECU and all the wires going to the engine efi and accessories on the other side and then match them up. As guys have already said with different years the same color wire does not necessarily mean that they are the same circuit.
Remember, you are dealing with sensor feed and return circuits; power and ground circuits. Mix up the sensor circuits and your ECU is not going to be able to tell what is taking place in the engine. Mix up the power and ground circuits and you will probably smoke your ECU.

Last edited by Hadmatt54; 09-03-2010 at 02:06 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:18 PM

It was in the opening post, long story short:

The guy that was getting the motor, cut the wiring harness.....After I specifically asked him not to.

It was a 3 way deal, each of us was getting something from the donor (won't do that again, next time i'll just pony up and get the whole thing for myself). Needless to say I was pissed. I've emailed the guy several times to see about getting the other end and I keep getting the cold shoulder. He is not saying he got rid of it, yet he's not saying he is using it. He is just saying he cut it to make it easier to pull the motor.

Last edited by scubasteve; 10-11-2010 at 04:22 PM.