Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Need help, lift kit ideas...

Old 01-12-2009, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help, lift kit ideas...

Hey guys, im looking at buying a lift kit and want to put 33 10.5s under the truck. I found this one by toytech http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?opt...d=70&Itemid=53 and wondered if it is any good? what is the best lift option? Im a little weary on crankin the t bars and was hopin someone would have done this same thing before. Id like a true 2 to 3 inches without bastardizing the truck. Thanks for the help. Mat

Last edited by canadianmat; 01-12-2009 at 10:24 PM. Reason: correction
Old 01-12-2009, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
33x10.50's will fit with no lift... just gotta have stock wheels.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:27 PM

33x1050 will fit on the stock lift
Old 01-12-2009, 10:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rusche
33x1050 will fit on the stock lift
They come with stock lift?
Old 01-12-2009, 10:35 PM

You say you want 2-3 inches of lift without screwing up your truck right?
#1 Dont go 2 inches on your bj spacers cause your asking for problems (CV'S) just search for that and you will get a lot of answers. Thats why 4crawler dont recommend them.
#2 That kit is just bj spacers and rear springs. Thats not a lift kit. Yes it will lift the truck but not a true kit.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:38 PM

p.s that "kit" is $299 the ball joint spacers are only $120 shipped through 4crawler and the rear springs you can get at a pick n pull for way cheaper. Just trying to help you out
Old 01-12-2009, 10:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sincal
You say you want 2-3 inches of lift without screwing up your truck right?
#1 Dont go 2 inches on your bj spacers cause your asking for problems (CV'S) just search for that and you will get a lot of answers. Thats why 4crawler dont recommend them.
#2 That kit is just bj spacers and rear springs. Thats not a lift kit. Yes it will lift the truck but not a true kit.
thought a lift kit was a kit, with parts, that lifts your truck. whether its by means of springs or spacers.

anyways i wouldnt recommend bj spacers either but if you wanna do it cheap that wouldnt be too bad. i'd check out some ome rear springs at 4x4connection.com they give about 2"-3"

you can fit 33's on stock suspension
Old 01-12-2009, 10:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
oh another thought would be rear add a leafs
Old 01-12-2009, 10:48 PM

sure its a "KIT" because there is more than one part being sold togather. Im saying as far as LIFT KITS generally go you dont classify bj spacers and rear springs as a true lift kit. Im not trying to start something im just stating that the guy wants something that is not going to mess his rig up correct? Then maybe he should know what a real lift kit is so he doesnt get the wrong impression from some company. Just my .02
Old 01-12-2009, 10:51 PM

If you are just trying to lift your rig in general for a cheap price I would get a add-a-leaf for the rear get 1 1/2 ball joint spacers maybe crank the torsion bars the other half inch and drop your diff, but you shouldnt have to, maybe just for insurance on the cv's.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whether you want to admit it or not that classifies as a lift kit. It has what you need to lift the front and back of the truck in a kit. That makes it a lift kit. You'll find that on these forums there's always going to be someone that disses what you're buying no matter what it is or how good it is. It's called web wheeling...

Not only that but reading on that page I think they're just selling the same old sdori bj spacers that everyone else is selling. They're just going to tell you to crank the tbars when you add them for the 2".

6 in one hand half dozen in the other...
Old 01-13-2009, 08:29 AM

Ok so what i gather is that bj spacers maybe arent the best. How about downeys 26 mm torsion bars, then crank in 2-3 inches. then get their 1.5 " hd spring kit and 1.5" rear spacer kit with sway bar end links etc. Do you guys think you can comfortably crank in 3 inches with 26mm t bars? I really dont want something thats sacrifices hieght for drivability. if i have to ill buy a trailmaster style a arm kit but would like to save some cash. I forgot to mention its a second gen 4 runner, so the add leaf option obvously wont work. thanks guys

Heres the link to what i found http://www.downeyoff-road.com/Suspen.../1986-95.html#

Part #s 48257 -90
Old 01-13-2009, 10:12 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
#1 welcome to yotatech...
#2 we already have a canadian mat, but thanks anyways
#3 theres a stick on the top of the forums detailing most if not all of the lifts available...
#4 SEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND...

with that said, go with the OME rear springs and a set of BJ spacers from www.4crawler.com ... ive ordered coil springs for my runner and they should be here tomorrow...
just keep in mind that lifting the rear of a vehicle requires you to get an LSPV extension, a panhard drop bracket, and if it flexes enough, maybe even lengthened brake lines...

btw, mind telling us what the specs on your vehicle are??

Last edited by space-junk; 01-13-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
Whether you want to admit it or not that classifies as a lift kit. It has what you need to lift the front and back of the truck in a kit. That makes it a lift kit. You'll find that on these forums there's always going to be someone that disses what you're buying no matter what it is or how good it is. It's called web wheeling...

Not only that but reading on that page I think they're just selling the same old sdori bj spacers that everyone else is selling. They're just going to tell you to crank the tbars when you add them for the 2".

6 in one hand half dozen in the other...
hmmm who is dissing who? I clearly was trying to help the man. Did you not open your eyes and see that I was giving suggestions. I have bj spacers so why would I diss his option? Maybe you should read before you post

Last edited by sincal; 01-13-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by space-junk
#1 welcome to yotatech...
#2 we already have a canadian mat, but thanks anyways
#3 theres a stick on the top of the forums detailing most if not all of the lifts available...
#4 SEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND...

with that said, go with the OME rear springs and a set of BJ spacers from www.4crawler.com ... ive ordered coil springs for my runner and they should be here tomorrow...
just keep in mind that lifting the rear of a vehicle requires you to get an LSPV extension, a panhard drop bracket, and if it flexes enough, maybe even lengthened brake lines...

btw, mind telling us what the specs on your vehicle are??
Lspv extension?

The truck is a 95 4runner 3.slow, 5spd . I personly rebuild the engine a few months ago, which im quite happy with. Other than instaling new rear axle bearings, new shocks, brakes and a new clutch its all stock, for now.

I do realize that there are many threads on this subject, however many of them are redundant and go nowhere. Not to say all but many. So in favor of first hand personal experience and convienence i opted to start this thread.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:48 PM

How about we just drop it? No need to try and keep correcting each other and arguing. He wants help with lifting his truck so lets just keep it at that.

Lots of people run the BJ spacers and lots of people don't. Just read around and decide if its worth it to you or not
Old 01-13-2009, 10:38 PM

green is the LSPV bracket...
red is panhard drop bracket...

LSPV is the Load Sensing Porportioning Valve... distributes braking bias front to rear depending on weight in the bed/back...

i believe that you can get both of those items from www.4crawler.com
panhard bracket keeps your rear axle centered where its supposed to be...
Old 01-13-2009, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by space-junk

green is the LSPV bracket...
red is panhard drop bracket...

LSPV is the Load Sensing Porportioning Valve... distributes braking bias front to rear depending on weight in the bed/back...

i believe that you can get both of those items from www.4crawler.com
panhard bracket keeps your rear axle centered where its supposed to be...
Thanks, i know what a panard bar ext is but the lsvp is news to me. Makes perfect sense though.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:00 AM

If i were to just try for 1.5"s via bj spacers and rear spring, could i still run the factory length trailmaster shocks i purchased last month? And do they make lsvp extentions and panard exts for 1.5 " lifts?
Old 01-14-2009, 12:04 AM

rear springs should give you an overall length of 2 inches...

in both cases you will have to replace your shocks, altho im betting if you wanted to push your luck you could run your shocks you nave now... just not go fast over speed bumps or do any hardcore wheeling...

someone correct me if im wrong tho...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help, lift kit ideas...