Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Need help guys

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 03:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need help guys

Truck- 86 4wd auto 22re 4.10's

short story : went to wheeling at lake houser (NC) . i was the first wheeler there and went alone . all was going fine till i wanted/ decided i wanna get in the creek. crossed the widest mud hole then the wall broke . passenger side submerged ecu soaked water in cab. blah blah
let it dry out cleaned and had my board fixed.

*this was the big creek at the bottom of the power line trail if you come straight down following the lines.

^ for you local and have been there guys

Symptoms: will start with starting fluid or some other method. changed to spare afm same thing starts but wont stay running as soon as vapor/fuel are gone. board seem's to be fine it's clean and had a broken diode near the batt fixed.

dont wanna start buying parts i dont need. but im guessing fuel pump *tank was a bit submerged like this \. ecu is dead even if it's been cleaned.dried and fixed. or the both my afm''s are dead. dont have another truck to test either on.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:07 PM

Found the problem I think.. Water in the fuel, used a pump to pump out the tank. had friend who is a chemist, called him up and he tested my gas. turns out even with the tank being a sealed system, water got in.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Wheeling alone = stupid.

Water is fun to splash around it but it kills way too many vehicles. I stay out of it.

Old wet electronics don't survive well, kinda like new iPhones. Once wet they are pretty much toast.

:wabbit2:
Old 06-09-2012, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Wheeling alone = stupid.

Water is fun to splash around it but it kills way too many vehicles. I stay out of it.

Old wet electronics don't survive well, kinda like new iPhones. Once wet they are pretty much toast.

:wabbit2:

Naw- wife had her phone, her and 2 campers knew i was out there.. i just learned a lesson (isn't that what happens each time when we go wheeling?). even after measuring with yard stick,walking around it. doesn't seem deep, but as soon as you get in it ain't no bottom. It was actually sucking my passenger front down. I broke out the military shovel and started trenching to let out the water. emptied my pockets,wallet,phone someplace safe and dry and got in.

Now on the other hand: If the water wasn't in the gas i could have gotten out. just means i'll move my tank and put it on the flatbed, after it's clean and resealed .

I'm not crying or mad. I had fun wheeling,then got stuck, got muddy, stinky and dirty played and laid in a creek. went swimming in the river, fishing, then left and came got my truck the next day. when guys with bigger built rigs pulled it out, and towed up hill to the service trail to dry out.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:35 PM

Update: Pump was dead so i switched it out with the old org one. instead of using all the stock wiring crap. I'm wiring 30amp fuse,30amp relay and a switch. now when i wired it up to check with a 13.3 v 3amp power supply it feeds fuel. but doesn't start.

it will turn over.. OCR works just bypassing it. The injectors come on when the ecu works right? or is it when the afm vane is opened? my next problem is to figure out what's dead the ecu that got swamped or both of my afms. this is keeping me ill, almost to the point where if i could drop 1k into a pane kit i'd go that route.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I had a similar situation. Post 282 is the steps I used. Link,, https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...6/index12.html

You had it working with one ecu since the swamping and I bet the afm is alright as I have had mine soaked alot. The harness like to hold water which causes alot of problems.

Last edited by Terrys87; 06-30-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:46 PM

i have power all through out the truck, just won't start, it will with the starting fluid then it dies. that was before i changed the pump. gonna go get another ecu , clean up the grounds and another battery.

when they got the truck out, and back up to the service trail. it sat over night,and all day the next day still sitting under my building. gonna go for the ecu if that doesn't work not like i can't take it back.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

check your 40/80 (cant remember right now) amp fuse on the wheel fender on the right side?
Old 06-30-2012, 07:53 PM

just did doesn't look blown but looks a lil greenish
Old 06-30-2012, 08:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When cranking, do you get voltage to the fuel pump terminal on the check connector: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/index.shtml
Old 06-30-2012, 08:18 PM

my pump isn't in the tank or wired up per factory right now.. i started to relocate the tank so i undid the taping, to see a hack job, so i just clipped off the plugs and ran my own wires to power the pump on and off. temp im using a 13.3v power supply 3amps . Undone the fuel like and watched it shoot gas outta the pump. undone the filter and same thing. so it's delivering fuel to the injectors.

ecu was washed and cleaned with rubbing alcohol, dried in a bag of rice, had a diode re soldered , the B+ blade was broken so we bent it to where it touches and bridged it with conductive glue. but being completely submerged for hours im sure the ecu is dead.

but like terry mentioned starting fluid will work. it'll run then die, if i touch the gas the cuts off the dies, I also took out the OCR opened it up and powered it though it works.

Like i started above

Plan running the pump independently with it's own relay,fuse and switch. extend my battery cables,afm cables and swap sides. i've been working on this for weeks since it's been down. i'll try a new ecu in a couple days.

Last edited by yotarover; 06-30-2012 at 08:23 PM.