86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help finding an a/c line

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need help finding an a/c line

Ok this a/c project has taken me forever to do. Pretty much replaced every serviceable part and after pulling a vacuum on it for 2.5 hours the vacuum went to 0 immediately after turning the pump off. Decided to go through everything again and found this line from the receiver/drier completely severed. Did a little internet research and ordered the part through toyota. Even bought one on ebay in case the dealer part was wrong. Neither are correct. Stopped by the dealer this morning and after looking things over I did order the correct part, but it's not the same one that is on my rig. 1993 4runner. Had R12, converting to R134A.

Stopped by a shop that can repair lines and he told me the break is too near the fitting, not leaving him any room to attempt a repair.

This is what the line looks like. The break is at the fitting that connects to the line that runs to the evaporator.

It runs from this end of the receiver/drier.

And connect to this fitting. That line then runs to the evaporator box fitting on the firewall.

The part I ordered on ebay looked correct but the fitting that meets with the evaporator line in that last pic was too small. Since I have a different setup than the dealership showed me I wonder if my rig had dealer installed a/c, vs factory installed? Everything seems factory, it's the normal a/c button on the dash.

Any help would really be appreciated. I'm headed to a junkyard tomorrow in hopes of finding something but I am not expecting much.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:23 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Your pictures have failed for some reason.

Just where did you have the Hard line looked at ??

Most AC shops can make almost any lines at least the ones in my Area
Old 09-01-2017, 01:40 PM

Weird. The pictures are showing up on mine.

I had the line looked at a local shop that does all sorts of hydraulic lines, etc. I didn't take it by an a/c shop. I think I better run out and try that option before it gets late. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:18 PM

Back from the a/c-radiator shop and they said they couldn't do it. Told me to go to the shop that I had visited earlier in the day. This is really frustrating.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had to replace an a/c line once on my 95 3vze and the dealer had to use the Vin #. It still came up with 3 part numbers & three prices. She ordered all three for me. 2 were a match , the third was not.
I guess it had to do with who installed the a/c system, Japan factory or the local american dealer.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:35 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Seems to me they either don`t want to be bothered or you live in the middle of no where
Old 09-02-2017, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Seems to me they either don`t want to be bothered or you live in the middle of no where
It's not that. It's broken right at the flange. There is no real area to work with.

Just came back from the junkyard. Got the version the dealer had but now I need to find the line that runs from that to the evaporator box at the firewall. All the ones at the junkyard were either cut or kinked. Dealership parts dept is closed for the holiday weekend.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:01 AM

Was all over the place Saturday morning and after a couple junkyards was able to get 3 good lines to use. Swapped over to the different style. Problem was the different style was much longer in the front line, that hooks to the receiver/dryer and runs behind the grill. Got a little creative and made it work. Ran the vacuum pump on it for 1.5 hours and overnight the gauge has not moved. Success.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:02 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
Nice fix! I'm planning on adding AC back to my 4 runner. PO removed the compressor and lines from under the hood, I believe everything else is there. Just an FYI, I think the reason none of your photos are working is because you used Photobucket and they've locked their 3rd party sharing unless you pay them an astronomical amount of money.