86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help with 92 toyota v6

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with 92 toyota v6

I'm not entirely sure what's wrong with the truck, so here's a little back story it died on me getting on the freeway way. It felt as if I was losing power I would give it gas but no revs, so took it to a shop to have it diagnosed, was told fuel pump went out. OK now to take off the bed and replace, upon removing the fuel pump I found out it wasn't the pump that was bad just seemed like a bad ground because it would intermittently work. (Replaced pump anyways) Tried starting it, it idled fine gave it some gas and she gave a little roar.(thinking I was in the clear put the bed back on) started it again started right up then just slowly died, tried giving it some gas and it acts like I'm not even touching the pedal but then it sometimes it just senses it and revs up. Did some research check AFM flap wasn't reading any ohm resistance decided to get a new one assuming it was broken, tested the new one I bought from O'Reillys, the ohm reader was getting resistance when I opened the flap. I was thinking OK this is looking promising, installed new AFM unit started right up no problem still did the same thing, idles the dies out and roughly too, I can't give it any gas because it just ignores like the whole pedal pressure. checked throttle body just to make sure it was opening when I pressed the gas and it was. If anyone has any directions I can take this I'm kinda lost on what to do.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:28 AM

Received 452 Likes on 249 Posts
maybe a silly question but, did you replace your inline fuel filter?
The following users liked this post:
Maeson Yosick (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by keycw
maybe a silly question but, did you replace your inline fuel filter?
I was gonna but never got around to it, but the truck starts and runs for a few seconds so that's where it throws me off.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:01 AM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Maeson Yosick
I was gonna but never got around to it, but the truck starts and runs for a few seconds so that's where it throws me off.
It runs for a few seconds until it runs out of fuel, when it shuts down the fuel has time to flow through the clogged filter so the next time you start it there is fuel available. Don't think of it as plugged off, it's restricted, so you get fuel, just not enough.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:30 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
I'm with akwheeler (as usual) on this. While there are (a lot of) other possibilities, you just need to replace the fuel filter anyway.

It's a little tedious on the 3VZE because of the location of the filter. Here's my write up on how to do it. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ctures-218962/
The following 2 users liked this post by scope103:
Maeson Yosick (05-07-2019), old87yota (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by scope103
I'm with akwheeler (as usual) on this. While there are (a lot of) other possibilities, you just need to replace the fuel filter anyway.

It's a little tedious on the 3VZE because of the location of the filter. Here's my write up on how to do it. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ctures-218962/
OK I'll give that a try this weekend thank you for the tips if the problem persists I'll get video and pictures and keep y'all updated.
Edit: already replaced fuel filter issue still there.

Last edited by Maeson Yosick; 05-07-2019 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Wrong
Old 05-07-2019, 04:08 PM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Maeson Yosick
Edit: already replaced fuel filter issue still there.
The good thing about this is that any time you replace the fuel pump you should replace the filter as well, so you needed it anyway. When a pump fails small pieces end up in the fuel filter, often you will see black stuff come out if you pour the fuel out of the inlet side when you remove it.
This is also a good troubleshooting step, eliminate the cheapest easiest possibilities first.
I had a very similar issue with my older Toyota pickup "Chucky" with a 22R and a mechanical fuel pump, it plagued me for a very long time even after replacing the fuel filter. I went to replace the fuel filter a second time and found some green rubber in it. It turned out someone had been siphoning my gas and when they pulled the garden hose out it peeled curly strips of rubber off that were rolling around in the bottom of the tank, with no pickup sock every time I ran low on gas it pulled more and more of them into the fuel line.
I had been loosing fuel for a very long time because there was a ton of rubber in the tank. After cleaning it out and clearing the fuel line and replacing the filter again it was fine. And it got a locking gas cap!
This is just to highlight that your issue could very well be a restriction in the fuel line and your next step should be to either test the fuel pressure (you need a special fitting to do so) or to check the fuel flow, run a hose in a bucket and connect it to the return line.
there are some write-ups on this forum that spell out how much fuel you should get over so much time.
Another thing that could cause similar symptoms is a clogged catalytic converter, often the engine will idle fine but will load up and choke off when you try to drive or throttle up.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:32 AM

Received 452 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by scope103

replacing the filter on the 3.0 is a walk in the park compared to the 22re lol
Old 05-08-2019, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by akwheeler
The good thing about this is that any time you replace the fuel pump you should replace the filter as well, so you needed it anyway. When a pump fails small pieces end up in the fuel filter, often you will see black stuff come out if you pour the fuel out of the inlet side when you remove it.
This is also a good troubleshooting step, eliminate the cheapest easiest possibilities first.
I had a very similar issue with my older Toyota pickup "Chucky" with a 22R and a mechanical fuel pump, it plagued me for a very long time even after replacing the fuel filter. I went to replace the fuel filter a second time and found some green rubber in it. It turned out someone had been siphoning my gas and when they pulled the garden hose out it peeled curly strips of rubber off that were rolling around in the bottom of the tank, with no pickup sock every time I ran low on gas it pulled more and more of them into the fuel line.
I had been loosing fuel for a very long time because there was a ton of rubber in the tank. After cleaning it out and clearing the fuel line and replacing the filter again it was fine. And it got a locking gas cap!
This is just to highlight that your issue could very well be a restriction in the fuel line and your next step should be to either test the fuel pressure (you need a special fitting to do so) or to check the fuel flow, run a hose in a bucket and connect it to the return line.
there are some write-ups on this forum that spell out how much fuel you should get over so much time.
Another thing that could cause similar symptoms is a clogged catalytic converter, often the engine will idle fine but will load up and choke off when you try to drive or throttle up.
OK, I will do that this weekend thank you for your feedback I'll let you guys know what goes on.