86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need exhaust pipe advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need exhaust pipe advice.

I put a new exhaust pipe on because of a crack in the old one. It's the one that bolts to the exhaust manifold. The problem is that it has a leak where it bolts to the manifold. I put new gaskets (those rings), but I tightened it down, then had to take it back off, then put it back on. Are these gaskets a one time use, and I ruined them? Or did I just not tighten them enough? I can't imagine getting them any tighter, I REALLY got on those nuts with a breaker bar.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dont tighten those bolts too tight...i think the torque spec is only 33 lbs. if you go any tighter youll have a issue getting them back out because metal heats up and expands...then if you break off a stud in the head youll have a real problem...

My suggestion is take it off and make sure its flat with a straight edge...not sure what the specs are on that but you should be able to find it in the FSM...

If its not within the spec limits take it to a shop and have it reground...that should take care of the problem...

Steven
Old 09-12-2008, 10:13 AM

the leak is where the pipe meets the manifold. Not at the head.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have a look at those ring gaskets. If they're still think, then they're good. If there charred, replace them. They're cheap from you local auto parts store.

Something about the profile pic makes me think you're voting McCain-Palin. Don't. 1 in 3 chance statistically that McCain will die in office, and I don't want a small town hockey mom with the nuclear codes.

Last edited by Matt16; 09-12-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Matt16
Something about the profile pic makes me think you're voting McCain-Palin. Don't. 1 in 3 chance statistically that McCain will die in office, and I don't want a small town hockey mom with the nuclear codes.
Good call...lets give it to a guy who was a Senator for 137 days before running for president.

Sorry...I couldn't resist.

(back to the topic at hand)
And yes, I think those gaskets are crushable so they are a one use...

Last edited by wardriver; 09-12-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:07 AM

Have a look at those ring gaskets. If they're still think, then they're good. If there charred, replace them. They're cheap from you local auto parts store.

Thomas,

Something about that picture makes me think I'd like you.

(Sorry, I don't have anything to add about the exhaust)
Old 09-12-2008, 11:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I usually add a bead of high temp silicone (the orange stuff) around those rings. Apply some to one side, seat the ring in it and let is set up for 30-60 minutes before installing. I'll reuse the rings is they are in good shape.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd probably try a new gasket, you may have had a chunk of carbon or something that deformed the gasket in a weird way.

BTW, Matt I don't think its our nuclear weapons you need to worry about, worry about Iran's crazy leader with nuclear codes or the radicals he supports.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Crawler
I usually add a bead of high temp silicone (the orange stuff) around those rings. Apply some to one side, seat the ring in it and let is set up for 30-60 minutes before installing. I'll reuse the rings is they are in good shape.
I don't that that hi temp RTV is resistant enough to heat to do much good there. I did that as well and then had to take the whole system apart the 2 weeks after. I turns out the hi temp stuff was had turned to a gray powder (ash?).

I would question the mental competence of anyone voting for McCain- Palin.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Contributing Member

I would question the mental competence of anyone voting for McCain- Palin.
Yeah, how dare those people cling to their religion and guns. Maybe if we could all sit in church and listen to Rev. Wrong for 20 years we could all have the great vision of reality.

I'm sorry Rev Wrong, but it is God Bless America, Not God#!@*%$ America!
Old 09-12-2008, 12:10 PM

Ah, i see...was confused...

And if Obama gets in, he'd be shot. The country isn"t ready for a African American president. Seriously though, I'm not racist, just voting NObama.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Palin is my b*tch

first off. HEY GUYS!! first post, but i've been reading YT for a year or more. It's helped me SO much! thanks to everyone! I was born and raised in Alaska and i just graduated high school. I'm planning on getting my comercial pilots license and fly for a living. I mostly do just mild wheeling- anywhere where my stock '93 with 32's can go and then some.

mkay, to the op, I've had the same problem since 2 years ago on christmas day. the down pipe (exhaust manifold to cat) on my truck had a small hole in it. the leak wasnt very audible except when you accelerated REALLY hard. then on Christmas, I stayed the night at my girlfriends house and it got really cold that night, then when i went to go home in the morning, the whole down pipe literally cracked in half from being too cold then expanding all of a sudden, or so i think. I got a new down pipe and gaskets and i kind of have the same problem. I THINK the new pipe flange that goes against the manifold doesn't 100% line up with the old ex. manifold. New gaskets and everything. the first time I drove it, I burnt both gaskets. I made the gaskets a little thicker by wrapping them in tin foil. Just enough so they're snug. It's worked great for me. Except I've blown them out a few times due to losing the studs, driving 85mpg for like 15 miles trying to catch a mitsubishi, and just being stupid. try tin foil.

on the note of Palin. I dont want her to get into the white house because i want her here where she will actually do something (Alaska) and yes, shes a small town soccer mom with a hot, pregnant daughter. She deffinatly doesn't have enough experience for even VP.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:43 PM

Since this thread has already been hijacked I might as well ad my 2 cents.

All I have to say is that the #1 recipient of campaign donations from the top 10 environmental groups like the Sierra Club is Barack Obama. It is public information and you can look it up. Just an FYI, the Sierra Club is the group filing lawsuits everywhere to get popular trails closed all over the country and is the #1 contributer on the list.

I simply don't understand how someone on this board can support a candidate who accepts money from an organization that is trying to curb the very hobby that this board is based upon.

YOTATECH - The Off-Road Adventure Begins Here

Well, if Obama is elected it may END everywhere.

*EDITED. Here is a website that shows campaign contributions by environmental groups. It shows contributers, recipients, etc. Good Read

http://www.opensecrets.org/industries/indus.php?ind=q11

Last edited by toyminator2000; 09-12-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:57 PM

Actually, I have a McCain-Palin sign in my yard. As well as stickers on my truck. I also volunteer about 20 hours per week to local republican campaigns. To address your thoughts about McCain's health, his mother is ninety something years old and he is very healthy. However, if something did happen to him, I would much rather have a governor with executive experience than a senator whose main ambition is his next office. While he was "community organizing", Governor Palin was running a town. Any way you slice it, your Messiah has less experience and qualifications than our VP pick. He touts change, but only ever votes "present" or right along his party lines. McCain and Palin are the ones who have fought corruption on both sides of the aisle and have taken on their own party when they thought the need was there.

Obama Bin Biden Positions

1. Higher taxes (he touts income tax breaks for 95% of Americans, but under current Bush tax cuts the lower 40% [under $43,000] pay no income taxes whatsoever. What he really means is take money from people who work alot and give it to people who work much less and call it a "tax credit" even though we know it's really just a gift [bribe]).

2. Sex education for Kindergardeners.

3. Higher taxes.

4. No guns.

5. Higher taxes.

6. Government takeover of the best health care system in the world (It worked so well for England that they have to import half of their Doctors from India for the cheap labor).

7. Higher taxes.

8. Higher gas and energy prices ("because we need to heal the planet").

9. Higher taxes.

10. Failed abortions that result in a live birth of baby should be denied medical care to make sure the abortion is successful.

11. Higher taxes.

12. Force unions on workers who don't want them through coercive public votes in lieu of the secret vote process currently in place.

13. Higher taxes.

14. Free welfare, education, and medical care for illegal immigrants who illegally entered our country. Oh, and we should keep letting them in.

15. Higher taxes.

16. Surrender and defeat in Iraq. He tried to stop the surge, but McCain and his lot saw to it that we kicked their butts in their own backyard.

17. Higher taxes.

McCain's Stances

1. Let's start passing out some guns. (Proven fact, the more concealed carry weapon permits in a community the lower the crime rate). Outlawing guns means only criminals have guns.

2. Lower taxes.

3. Drill here, drill now, pay less.

4. Lower taxes.

5. Secure the border.

6. Lower taxes.

7. Smaller government.

8. Lower taxes.

9. Whoop some terrorist butt.

10. Lower taxes.

I can go on, but there's no point. Anyone with half a brain can clearly see that McCain and Palin are on the side of us who work for a living. That those of us who like to drive our trucks on "mother earth" aren't ruining anything. That the constitution gives us the right to bear arms and protect ourselves from criminals, thugs, and greenpeace activists. They're on the side of us who think we should drill our own damn oil and stop giving $700 million a year to countries like Venezuela and Iran. That we should build 40 nuclear plants and dozens more coal fired and natural gas plants to give us the energy we deserve in a form that won't hit the global market and drive up prices. That they're willing to protect us regardless of what the polls say.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:06 PM

I forgot to talk about the truck. The gaskets are new but they were tightened down once then taken off and put back on. I kind of think I just haven't tightened it down enough, but don't want to risk over tightening. Does anyone know the torque specs?
Old 09-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 894x4pickup
...i think the torque spec is only 33 lbs.

Steven

That sounds about right to me too. Those are steel locknuts, they don't have to super tight to hold and the crushing type gaskets are probably meant to only be used once. I'd try Roger's (4crawler) suggestion, never known him to be wrong about anything. If he says the high temp silicone works it most likely will.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
That sounds about right to me too. Those are steel locknuts, they don't have to super tight to hold and the crushing type gaskets are probably meant to only be used once. I'd try Roger's (4crawler) suggestion, never known him to be wrong about anything. If he says the high temp silicone works it most likely will.
I must have messed up those gaskets or something because I have way more than 33lbs.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

Yep 33 ft-lbs is what I marked on my little tag for this exhaust nut:

Old 09-12-2008, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Yep 33 ft-lbs is what I marked on my little tag for this exhaust nut:
That's where it connects to the head. I need the torque where the manifold bolts to the pipe.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ThomasTedder
That's where it connects to the head. I need the torque where the manifold bolts to the pipe.
No, not the exhaust manifold to the head bolts. The nuts the hold the crossover on to the exhaust manifolds. Although they may be the same.

Its probably going to be impossible to get a torque wrench on it anyway. But it gives you an idea.

Last edited by mt_goat; 09-12-2008 at 05:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Need exhaust pipe advice.