Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Need advice/opinions on 22RE condition

Old 10-02-2007, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice/opinions on 22RE condition

I picked up an 86 4runner this weekend with a seized motor. I was told it was run dry (oil) .

There is a hole in the block below the exhaust manifold. So a new short block is in order.

I pulled the valve cover last night, and was pleasantly surprised by what I found

Now I am no expert, in fact I never done any motor work before.

What I would like is some opinions regarding the condition of the head. Does it look like I can just slap it on a short block and call it good?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:54 AM

Not neccessarily; any time you plan on doing a head swap you should at least have the head pressure tested for any cracks.

Judging by first glance the overall condition looks good but that doesn't mean a thing. If it was run dry then there was probably some seizure that occurred as well.

Take it apart, may as well pull the motor because if there is a hole in the block, it's a lost cause. Pull the head and take to a local shop that does that sort of thing and have it pressure tested.

See where that gets you and go from there. But no, there is NO WAY to tell if the head is ok from just looking at it.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:11 AM

Thank you.

I'm ordering a short block today locally here. I gotta pick up a hoist tonight and start pulling it.

I'll bring the head into a machine shop to have it inspected.

Originally Posted by kcrunner
Not neccessarily; any time you plan on doing a head swap you should at least have the head pressure tested for any cracks.

Judging by first glance the overall condition looks good but that doesn't mean a thing. If it was run dry then there was probably some seizure that occurred as well.

Take it apart, may as well pull the motor because if there is a hole in the block, it's a lost cause. Pull the head and take to a local shop that does that sort of thing and have it pressure tested.

See where that gets you and go from there. But no, there is NO WAY to tell if the head is ok from just looking at it.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:20 AM

How does the rest of the truck look? Any pics?
Old 10-02-2007, 07:28 AM

make sure to do as the FSM instructions say when removing to bolts so you do not warp or crack the head
Old 10-02-2007, 07:28 AM

Oh yeah, welcome to YT!!!
Old 10-02-2007, 07:42 AM

I have downloaded the FSM and will be following it.

The rest of the truck.....

It makes me giddy. I can just sit in the garage and stare at it for hours. You ever get a vehicle that you have lusted at forever?

I currently drive an 85 FJ60. It is a midwest truck, and while it has served me great for the last 6 years it is dying a slow death. This has been My DD and wheeling truck. 35's / 4.88's / ARB's / armor etc.

Needed something that would serve as a daily driver, something the wife would not be scared to drive. My requirements were pretty high. It had to have little to no rust....been there done that. Interior had to be clean. I was looking for an SR5 but not a requirement. My choice of color would be silver.

I searched for months to find what I wanted. I almost gave up. Friday I mentioned to my wife that I would have to find something different.

Then this popped up

1986 SR5, 5 speed. AC / PW / PL / CC / sunroof / map lights / etc. I cannot think of a single option it does not have.

180k with a locked up motor. Supposedly it was a Jiffy lube horror story and was ran dry.

Exterior is in phenomenal condition. Has a couple of rust spots on the rear fender, but it has not perforated the sheet metal. The underside is really clean

Interior has no rips or tears. Carpet and seats are very clean, a few stains but nothing a little elbow grease won't take care of. Dash is cracked, and it needs a stereo.

Front bumper is getting pulled tonight, I've got a stock one coming that I'm going to put on. Also getting a new rear bumper to replace the bent one.

This truck is going to stay stock for a while. Only gonna see dirt roads.

Few years down the road it may get built.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:50 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Looks nice!

A well rebuilt 22RE will live forever.

Let us know if we can help you with any parts or if you decide to build this one up sooner than you expected.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:22 AM

I'm ordering the following today:
Short block with oil pump, timing chain kit, master gasket set

Head bolts
Clutch kit
Water pump

Thorley Header.

Aside from little stuff (plugs, wires, cap/rotor, oil etc) am I missing anything?
Old 10-02-2007, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
great buy. sorry to hear bout the engine... thats why i do the oil changes myself... and jiffy lube is horrible! only thing i use em for is chassis lube.. and that ive been doin at work for free.
maybe a racing cam? looks like u got it good. im not much of an engine rebuilder.. but that looks right
Old 10-02-2007, 09:35 AM

For the clutch should I go with a OEM Toyota, or the one that Marlin offers?
Old 10-02-2007, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
great buy. sorry to hear bout the engine...
No skin off my back. The way I figure it, with the bad motor I got a d-e-a-l. Little bit of money, and a bit of labor and I am going to have one nice truck to drive. As long as my header comes in by friday I might just have it on the road by Sunday night
Old 10-02-2007, 10:18 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Oooo...nice!

Yeah, I know that lust. First vehicle I ever bought was a VW camper bus. But, I WAS going to buy a 2nd gen Yota p'up. Only, it was using oil and at the time knew nothing about motors, so I didn't want to chance it. After I totalled the V'dub, I promptly bought an '86 4rnr DLX. Dream come true....the perfect compromise between a truck and a camper! Lust fulfilled! Itch...scratched!

You might need several things...maybe an airflow meter, TPS, injectors, fuel pump, etc...but, one doesn't know until then. I would put a new shifter bushing and knock sensor+wire in there, though.

For the clutch.... OEM and Marlin are fine, but that Wabbit guy up there has good ones, too. I'd also put some MT-90 in that tranny.

Score 100 for Man Jerk...
Welcome to YT.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:54 AM

If you don't want that old tube front bumper and there is nothing to terribly wrong with it, I would take it off you hands. I'm in Virginia, anyone know what the shipping for that would cost?
Old 10-02-2007, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by bigredj87
If you don't want that old tube front bumper and there is nothing to terribly wrong with it, I would take it off you hands. I'm in Virginia, anyone know what the shipping for that would cost?
I am actually trading it to someone local for a stock front and rear bumper.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OEM clutches are fine. I bought my '86 with a fried clutch at 55k. Put in a new one and just now did it again at 237k. And only now because I put in a new engine and it was just too convenient to pass up. (it was gettin pretty close though)

Mike
Old 10-02-2007, 07:30 PM

Yeesh...

Looks like it's already had a reman in it

Not the engine builders fault that it was ran with out oil though. Tomorrow the head goes to the machine shop where it will get inspected.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:55 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I hope you plan on rebuilding the bottom end. Running a motor dry will fry the crankshaft bearings.

By the look of the hone marks on the cylinder walls, I?d say the engine is near new with very low miles. The rocker arms are aftermarket too, so it probably had a brand new head installed.