Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

My list of engine gremlins

Old 03-05-2012, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My list of engine gremlins

I've had these problems for a while, and I'm gonna have some days free in the next few weeks, so I should probably try to do something about them:
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

None of these problems are anything that keep me from driving it everyday, but they're starting to pile up. And me and my 22RE are gonna have to stay together for a few more years before I can swap, so I should probably take care of it.

Since I've bought the truck in '08, I've literal done nothing to the engine aside from regular oil changes and a coolant flush. I didn't even change plugs and wires, so I know a tuneup is long overdue. Hopefully some of the above issues are related, otherwise it's gonna really be fun.

I did search, but in most threads folks basically rattle off every electrical engine component as a probable culprit; I'd like a little more specific help than that.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:45 PM

Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts
Zelephant - I have the same warm starting problem as you, as I think you know. I have checked most everything and still have the issue. One thing I have not actually tested is the cold start injector itself, I have checked the cold start switch and it seems to be fine. So possibly could be the injector. I think I read somewhere too on another board where someone suggested it could be the distributor pickup. I do have a couple spare distributors that I could try, so that might be something I do. This is one of the minor problems that annoys me, but doesn't keep me from driving. I'll be watching to see if you figure out what it is, and I'll be sure to post if I ever do get it figured out.

As for the rest of your list, I imagine the auto is a bit of a dog, and then under-geared to boot is prob a lot of your issues. But adjusting the valves with probably help out, also you can advance the timing a tad to give it a little more pep, at the very least make sure it is set properly. Fresh plugs and cap/rotor too.

Good luck!
Old 03-06-2012, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just figured out the warm start thing on my 94 22re truck. For me, it was the engine coolant temp. sensor. The FSM lists it as the no. 1 thing to check for difficulty on warm starts. Easy to check out with a multimeter. Not sure if its the same for an 89. If that checks out okay, I'd just go down the line in the FSM troubleshooting section. I also think a tune-up would help your mpg out immensely. I can imagine the auto is robbing your gas tank quite a bit, but it shouldn't be that bad. Hell, even my 3.0 auto runner gets 16mpg in town.

Last edited by cambob; 03-06-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:08 PM

Cory- Yeah, I remember your issue from your build thread. I didn't remember you posting a solution so I thought I'd post up here. I'm no expert, but I would think the cold start injector wouldn't be the culprit if it starts fine when ice cold; it'd have to be working. BTW, could you explain the distributor pickup? I'm not familiar with that.

So right now, this is what my "to do" list looks like:
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

Anything else? None of these appear to be a direct fix for the stuttering when damp. That's the most serious issue, even if it doesn't happen often. It feels like the truck is about to die, I really have to limp it in on those days.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:42 PM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
I just put 31's on my truck and I took off the stock 225's and my power went out the the door well you know the little power I had. I have a manual I can't imagine an auto I am Getting gears as we speak and I should be golden. Might think about it though. Its just a little pricey if you don't have the tools or know how to do them yourself.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:42 PM

If you have a bad enough supply or ground wire the engine literally is being shut off and turned on again.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:33 AM

Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts
Zelephant - I don't know if I can explain the distributor thing properly and I can't find the thread right now. The more I think about it, I don't see how it could be the distributor anyway since tapping the throttle starts it right up. I'm kindof grabbing at straws here.

My own theory on the cold start injector (or could really be any of the other 4 injectors) is that it is leaky, like there is crud built up in there and it doesn't fully shut off, so gas pools in there until the fuel pressure bleeds off. For the 1 hour or so time frame, enough gas has pooled and not evaporated that I'm basically flooded and opening the throttle plate lets more air in so it will start. I think I'll check my cold start since it's easy to get to, and I'll clean it if I can.

As for your list those items look good, I would add adjusting the valves.