Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

"My engine is smoking please help"

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so far sounds the same.. lol BELieve it or not i was going to ask was my year a mechanical or electric lol
Old 04-06-2007, 08:53 AM

Well it sounds like you may have a few different issues there that need to be addressed. You need to get a look at a factory service manual and trace all your vacuum lines and get them connected to where they need to go. There should be a map of all the lines and where they go. Here is a link to an on line manual.

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/

and the vacuum line map is here http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...14layoutan.pdf

White smoke typically is water getting into the cylinders like with a headgasket failure or the timing chain wearing through the timing cover. Overheating and loosing coolant regularly also point in that direction. Greyish blue is usually oil blowing by the rings. The gas smell could be the result of a very rich condition caused by all the disconnected vacuum lines.

I would have to think you would be getting some codes or a CEL. Did you pull the codes? That is also in the manual. Use a paper clip to jump terminals TE and E in the DIAG plug under the hood. Turn your key on and count the flashes. The codes are listed in the book as well here: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...26diagnosi.pdf

You can do a quick compression check with a cheepo gauge to see where you are at. If it is low, add a little oil to the cylinder and check it again. If it spikes up then it's likely the rings. If it doesn't than a leak down test shoule be done to check out the valves. The compression check is listed here

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../6compress.pdf

You've got some work cut out for you there.

Good luck.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smoke comming from your oil filler hole is a sign the motor is burning oil
Old 04-06-2007, 02:30 PM

wow, glad i got all this input thanks.. Also the smoke doesn't smell like oil. It smells like fuel more than oil. Also on the vaccum lines i have them all connected but i think one is not, but i don't know where anymore are.. what do u guys think about the spark plug as shown??? oh yeah no CEL light, probley don't work.. The power or normal light doesnt work either lol... and just to throw this in, but so far my fuel economy sucks, at 13mpg ... This is crazy lol.. what i don't understand is if this engine is low on compression, they why does it start soo good??? It has power, it will run 65 pretty quick, it is just the smoke and the noise of the engine.

Last edited by krash2k77; 04-06-2007 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:20 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by krash2k77
i can't get the idle down much at all, i turn the screw and it goes so far but if i run the ac, she dies on me or almost close to dying on me. Oh well once i get the engine right then i can go from there..
Sounds like you're adjusting the idle up screw for the ac. Adjust the screw that's located on the throttle body, not the plenum.

Check the fuel pressure regulator for proper operation. When the diaphragm breaks, fuel literally pours in. A quick check is to pull the vacuum hose off of it while the motor is running. If fuel comes out of the vacuum line nipple, the pressure regulator is toast.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:46 PM

where is the regulator located? Also the screw i am turning is the one connected to the TB, where the air box hose goes into. that is the only one i know of lol. I am still learning.. also can someone tell me what this is??

because if it supposed to screw in, mine doesn't i push it in and turn it and it pops back out. so just wandering

Last edited by krash2k77; 04-06-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
"My engine is smoking please help" as a title would have gotten you more attention and probably a lot more reads...something to think about for the future.

Good luck.

Old 04-07-2007, 04:41 AM

well i dont seem to have to much of a problem getting folks help like this
Old 04-07-2007, 05:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
where is the regulator located? Also the screw i am turning is the one connected to the TB, where the air box hose goes into. that is the only one i know of lol. I am still learning.. also can someone tell me what this is??

because if it supposed to screw in, mine doesn't i push it in and turn it and it pops back out. so just wandering
That's the Idle Air Control valve that adjusts the ilde up when the A/C compressor kicks in. It should be adjusted to bump the idle up @ 250 rpms higher when the compressor is running. You cannot adjust your regular warm idle with it.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:33 AM
Banned

Talking

well i dont seem to have to much of a problem getting folks help like this
You ASKED for "help" so I'm just trying to be helpful for the future and prevent you some aggravation later when your thread "disappears" for no reason and you wonder where it went.

Here is some help from the "rules": https://www.yotatech.com/ytrules.php

"11. Creating New Threads
When creating a new thread, please try to make the title of it match the contents. When using the search feature, it will find more pertinent results if your title has the correct phrase to match its contents. A vague title is often a waste of time too, if someone clicks on it and the thread is totally opposite of what they thought it meant. These threads will be locked or removed at the discretion of the staff. "

And this information is a sticky on the top of most of the technical forums as well, which is right above your post at the moment in the 86-95 section.

Example of the sticky: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74565

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 04-07-2007 at 05:34 AM.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:55 AM
Contributing Member

Title changed.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member

Well, I just read your entire post & I'm stumped. White smoke with a fuel smell; the fuel smell leads me to think you may have a stuck Cold Start Injector, but that usually means BLACK smoke. If you have gasoline smell in your oil, that usually means you're running rich & have bulk fuel getting by the rings into the crankcase. Your top end looks pretty good from the pics. Can you sum up again exactly what issues you are having as a result of this smoking?
Old 04-07-2007, 06:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't watched the videos but by the description I'd say you have multiple problems. Did the gunk on the plug come from removing it or was that on it from inside the engine? The wet looks like fuel but the electrode looks like it was burning correctly....If I had to guess I'd say valve adjustment & possible bad valve seals/worn rings. Anything from one of those to all three or it could be something totally different. Got any buddies who wrench that know Toyotas & could take a look at it?
Old 04-07-2007, 06:12 AM

WABBIT, thanks man i wasn't trying to be a smart alec lol.. Anyway on the ac idle control i know i can't control the warm idle with it, that is the screw on the TB. Also I can't even screw this valve in at all.. I push on it and try to screw it in and it doesn't go in.. Anyway here is what happens when i crank it. I start it in the morning or afternoon as long as it has set for a bit, but does the smoking while i am driving. I am not sure what oil burning smells like but the smell that is comming from the exhaust when started is like fuel smell, and the color is faint white.. I get on the road and punch it to the floor and it goes but u see some smoke out the back almost blackish color. Also i can't adjust my idle, it doesn't go down much at all even if i crank the screw on the TB in all the way to the right.. I have oil leak. One is front seal and i thinkt he oil pan may be leaking. Anyway i keep a eye on the level and it doesn't seem to drop very fast other than the leak i don't think it is burning oil, can u see the spark plug in the pic? this is what they look like.. Thanks also check out the videos they are what my truck sounds like, also too is the truck supposed to idle higher than 1g when first cranked? I know it is supposed to go up a few hundred but this sounds higher.. then it dies down somewhat but still is higher than supposed to be, and when the AC is on or and the engine isn't idled up high via tb, or even when the ac is off and i go in gear it almost wants to die but then comes back and runs... I don't think the smoke is a greyish color smoke, and the smoke doesn't stink like i would think oil would..

Brenjen, i have no one that knows anything about a car lol., I just have myself..

Last edited by krash2k77; 04-07-2007 at 06:13 AM.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:14 AM
Banned

WABBIT, thanks man i wasn't trying to be a smart alec lol.
No problem.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:15 AM

also if this helps my exhaust tailpipe is very black, RICH condition?
Old 04-07-2007, 06:24 AM
Contributing Member

Definitely rich. If your idle screw isn't changing the idle, you have a large vacuum leak somewhere. Take an UNLIT propane/mapp gas torch & run it around the intake, vacuum lines, etc. while the engine is idling (after warmup); if it idles up at any point, you have a vacuum leak there.

Dead cold idle should be between 1100 & 1600 rpms (approx.). I would also disconnect the cold start injector & see if that solves your rich condition/black smoke. If it's stuck open, it will dump raw fuel into the intake.

Let us know after that & we can continue troubleshooting your issues. Good Luck!
Old 04-07-2007, 06:39 AM
Contributing Member

I just thought of something else; your valve stem seals may be gone. That would account for fuel getting into your oil. Also, if you have a lot of fuel going into the oil, it's going to start causing premature bearing wear. You need to find that out before you put many more miles on it or you run the risk of bearing issues.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:14 AM

ok, i found this out. My ac idle screw is broken and the bottom peice if screwed into the body of it. I pulled the screw out and it is broken.. also the oil that i noticed is now a puddle inside my THROTTLE body, why is this? I have pics, the air filter hose going into the TB isn't soaked with oil like this, check it out..

Old 04-07-2007, 07:16 AM

just to let u know TNrabbit. I can adjust the idle on the TB but doesn't come down much, but enough to notice.. anyway.. where is the COLD start injector??

Quick Reply: "My engine is smoking please help"