Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

My cheap new Yota

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking My cheap new Yota

Yesterday I bought a 1987 2wd short bed pickup (22R). I've been looking for a 4wd for a while, but a family friend was trying to get rid of it, and she was asking a pretty low price. I do have some quick questions about this truck that I couldn't find on the internet or by searching this forum.
- It's a four speed --> does anyone know what the transmission type is, and what the comparable five speed is called. I'm thinking about changing to a 5spd (better gas mileage, more control, ect.) also the gear ratios would be welcome.
Actually that might be the only question I have about it now. I'll probably think of some more that I have later. Pretty excited about my first yota , even if it isn't a 4wd. I'll get pics up if they're wanted... swapped the fuel filter today, as well as dropping some seafoam into the tank, any ideas about other things I should take care of? And also any mods that I can do to make this truck better.
Thanks

Old 03-09-2010, 06:16 PM

Old 03-09-2010, 06:18 PM

soooo you joined in september and just got a yota?
Old 03-09-2010, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by 87yotabro87
soooo you joined in september and just got a yota?
There's nothing wrong about researching a brand and vehicle before actually purchasing it. I find that is the best policy!

Congrats on your new Yota! I personally run a 2wd 1994 truck similar to yours. It can be a capable off road vehicle unlike what most ignorant people say. This forum is a great place to learn about your 2wd and get some starting points and knowledge.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:31 PM

thats true. didnt think about that. congrats tho doode. how much you get it for?
Old 03-09-2010, 07:56 PM

I'll post some pics tomorrow haha. Actually the reason I became a member in Sept. was because I was going to buy an '87 4runner SR5, but the lady turned out to be really flakey and ended up selling that to her landlord, instead of me... So I've been looking for a first gen 4runner for a while, but this opportunity presented itself and I bought it. I picked it up for $500 --> needs a new clutch, and having trouble idling (ie. stalls at inconvenient times). So anyone that knows of how to fix the idling problem --> I've put some seafoam in the gas tank and put on a new fuel filter. What else can I do to fix it?
Plus it has some rust - just one patch on the roof, over the passenger door. Actually my dad, brother and I picked up a bare '85 cab. The plan is to cut part of the roof off the '85 cab and braze it onto mine where the rust is. I did get to drive it in some mud/sand today good fun.

edit: It has a little over 102k miles on it.

Last edited by The Harrison; 03-09-2010 at 08:08 PM. Reason: mileage added
Old 03-09-2010, 08:21 PM

dang! 500? thats a good deal
Old 03-09-2010, 09:00 PM

Nothing wrong with a 2wd!! Some good tires and a locker in the rear and you can go most places, if you throw a winch on the front and make sure you go with a buddy your truck should keep up pretty well in most situations. I rarely have to put mine in 4wd and I have open diffs front and rear and 31" BFG A/T's.

Plus I think down the road if you really want to you can put in a 4wd tranny and t-case and swap in a solid axle.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'Sup 2wd buddy? I'm sure this forum is full of guys who'll be more than willing to suggest you convert it to 4wd, but keeping it 2wd and doing some choice suspension and driveline upgrades would probably go a lot further on fewer dollars. My vote is to go the same route I eventually am, fireroad stormin' prerunner, LT IFS, tweaked 22R, locker.

As for transmissions, you likely have a G40 transmission, my 2wd is a year younger than your's, it's 4spd and that is the tranny it has. Your axle code will tell you more, but I'm pretty sure it's a G40. I've personally had a terrible time tracking down a 5spd transmission, let alone finding any real non-conflicting information about them, some places seem to think certain transmissions were 2wd only when they're 4wd only, and vice versa.

You will probably have a hard time finding a 5spd transmission too, 5spd 2wd trucks don't seem to be all that common, try hunting down a junker with one, make absolutely sure it comes out of a 2wd truck. You'll be looking for either a W55, or a G56/57 (or something like that), a W57(or was it W58) out of an older supra should work too with a bellhousing swap. The W55 has good gears, but I've heard of issues with 5th going wonky from time to time, avoid G transmissions if you can, they're generally not the same quality as a W (from what I've gleaned). The supra tranny offers some great gearing that is good if you want to race, and I haven't seen anything about it's gears being wonky.

The only place I've managed to find a 2wd 5spd at is marlin crawler, and that would be one of their remanned W55s, and I'll be getting one of these down the road once my 4spd grenades, though I really wish I could find an older supra so I could go that route instead.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by The Factor
I'll post some pics tomorrow haha. Actually the reason I became a member in Sept. was because I was going to buy an '87 4runner SR5, but the lady turned out to be really flakey and ended up selling that to her landlord, instead of me... So I've been looking for a first gen 4runner for a while, but this opportunity presented itself and I bought it. I picked it up for $500 --> needs a new clutch, and having trouble idling (ie. stalls at inconvenient times). So anyone that knows of how to fix the idling problem --> I've put some seafoam in the gas tank and put on a new fuel filter. What else can I do to fix it?
Plus it has some rust - just one patch on the roof, over the passenger door. Actually my dad, brother and I picked up a bare '85 cab. The plan is to cut part of the roof off the '85 cab and braze it onto mine where the rust is. I did get to drive it in some mud/sand today good fun.

edit: It has a little over 102k miles on it.
just change the plugs wires and normal tune up stuff. then see where your at from there. does it start right back up after it dies on you. or when its not idling right does it rev up good or does it spudder? does it do it when the truck is cold or warm or any time you start it? may want to check fuel pressure make sure that the pumps not getting warm and screwing up.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:04 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
lets see some pics of this beast.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:07 PM

Pics or it didn't happen
Old 03-10-2010, 09:41 PM

As promised here's the pics, sorry it took me so long. I was looking for the camera cord and I just realized that I could directly upload from my memory card, I figure that cord is a goner.

Pretty clean little truck.

The tailgate has the double latches.

Under the duct tape is a bit of rust that I'm planning on fixing --> keeps the rain out and it from getting rustier.

Mileage is pretty low

Planning on dropping in a 5 speed...As soon as I find out more about what transmission will fit in the current one's place.

I did get to take it in the mud a little, haha.

That is all, for now...
Old 03-10-2010, 09:50 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Nice truck mang
Looks pretty clean, aside from the banged up front bumper and the roof-rust
Old 03-10-2010, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by broncrider
just change the plugs wires and normal tune up stuff. then see where your at from there. does it start right back up after it dies on you. or when its not idling right does it rev up good or does it spudder? does it do it when the truck is cold or warm or any time you start it? may want to check fuel pressure make sure that the pumps not getting warm and screwing up.
Ok, I'll get on the normal tune up stuff. It starts up every time after it dies. It revs up good, just high idle speed --> cold start. When I do a warm start, its usually better. My dad told me that it's just the cold start, but is there any way to adjust it? I'll check the oil pressure tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Magnusian
'Sup 2wd buddy? I'm sure this forum is full of guys who'll be more than willing to suggest you convert it to 4wd, but keeping it 2wd and doing some choice suspension and driveline upgrades would probably go a lot further on fewer dollars. My vote is to go the same route I eventually am, fireroad stormin' prerunner, LT IFS, tweaked 22R, locker.

As for transmissions, you likely have a G40 transmission, my 2wd is a year younger than your's, it's 4spd and that is the tranny it has. Your axle code will tell you more, but I'm pretty sure it's a G40. I've personally had a terrible time tracking down a 5spd transmission, let alone finding any real non-conflicting information about them, some places seem to think certain transmissions were 2wd only when they're 4wd only, and vice versa.

You will probably have a hard time finding a 5spd transmission too, 5spd 2wd trucks don't seem to be all that common, try hunting down a junker with one, make absolutely sure it comes out of a 2wd truck. You'll be looking for either a W55, or a G56/57 (or something like that), a W57(or was it W58) out of an older supra should work too with a bellhousing swap. The W55 has good gears, but I've heard of issues with 5th going wonky from time to time, avoid G transmissions if you can, they're generally not the same quality as a W (from what I've gleaned). The supra tranny offers some great gearing that is good if you want to race, and I haven't seen anything about it's gears being wonky.

The only place I've managed to find a 2wd 5spd at is marlin crawler, and that would be one of their remanned W55s, and I'll be getting one of these down the road once my 4spd grenades, though I really wish I could find an older supra so I could go that route instead.
Yeah, I don't think a Marlin Crawler rblt tranny is in my budget for this truck. I saw your earlier post about which transmission you should get, sounds like we're in the same boat. I'll keep checking the wrecking yards around here, maybe I'll get lucky and find that elusive 2wd 5spd, haha.

Originally Posted by 87yotabro87
dang! 500? thats a good deal
Yeah I'm super stoked about it . Can't wait to have it fixed up completely.

Originally Posted by ckblum
Nothing wrong with a 2wd!! Some good tires and a locker in the rear and you can go most places, if you throw a winch on the front and make sure you go with a buddy your truck should keep up pretty well in most situations. I rarely have to put mine in 4wd and I have open diffs front and rear and 31" BFG A/T's.

Plus I think down the road if you really want to you can put in a 4wd tranny and t-case and swap in a solid axle.
I think I'm going to keep it 2wd, I think it would be more cost effective to just buy a 4wd yota eventually. In the mean time I think that a good winch is in order .
Old 03-10-2010, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by peow130
Nice truck mang
Looks pretty clean, aside from the banged up front bumper and the roof-rust
Actually the front bumper isn't that bad, I guess the corners look a little bad, but it is an old truck. Here's the front view:

Oh and I guess someone stole the front emblem off it, just one more thing to look for at the wrecking yard.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
that is the first time I have seen that method used to hide a license plate...points for innovation!
Old 03-10-2010, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
that is the first time I have seen that method used to hide a license plate...points for innovation!
I know right?!?!

No need to mess with it just post!! lol I like it. Simple and efficient
Old 03-11-2010, 03:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nice ride!! you guys that live outside of the salt belt have it made!!!
Old 03-11-2010, 03:06 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by WatsonToyota
Nice ride!! you guys that live outside of the salt belt have it made!!!

AMEN to that!!

Quick Reply: My cheap new Yota