86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

my 95 4runner wont start :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 95 4runner wont start :(

hey guys, im hoping someone cam help me out. first off, about 3 weeks ago i decided it would be fun to follow my brother through a big puddle WOOHOO!!! but it died coming outa the puddle. i turned it over a few times and finaly it started thank god. it blew out a bunch of white smoke and threw a check light. the codes (i cant remember the exact numbers) #1, no signal from the coil to confirm spark and #2 the egr i think that was 71? it was running a bit rough and loss of power on hills. i proceeded to clean out the air intake tube and the throttle body. about a week later it died and didnt want to start, it then started and i drove home, turned it off, started it again and it started fine. i pulled out on the road and gave it gas to go and it died again. never started since. i started out by spraying starter fluid directly into the air intake hose and it then was able to start for about a second. so this confirms that its not gettig gas right? i listened for the fuel pump while turning the key to the on position but i didnt hear it humming. i hear a few clicks here and there but no fuep pump. i installed a new filter and fuel pump and that didnt fix it. i still cant hear the pump. i installed a new "main relay" which controls the fuel pump among other things (i was told)... still nothing, no pump sound. what do i do next? i have basic knowledge of electrical and i have a voltmeter, my next plan of attack is to check for 12 volts running to the fuel pump. also, i did not clean out the MAF as its hard to get to but the old dude at oreilys said that wouldnt affect the fuel pump. any ideas??? thanks guys!!! i searched for this everywhere looking at lots and lots of blogs but i cant find one specific to my situation. thanks again for any help
Old 06-10-2017, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
also i didnt mention; 95 sr5 v6 3.slow, manual 4x4

Last edited by myotherrideisayoshi; 06-10-2017 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you really think it's fuel pump related, this happened to me a couple years ago. I hit a pothole pretty hard and it dislodged the air intake / MAF assembly. It seemed to me like the fuel pump had quit, because it would crank but not catch, and in fact if that air intake assembly isn't connected properly (i.e. too much air flow) the computer cuts power to the fuel pump. A painful lesson considering I had my truck towed to the mechanic to have them figure it out...
Old 06-12-2017, 09:04 PM

Received 825 Likes on 652 Posts
If you replaced a fuel pump (~$100?) without checking whether the old one was any good, and without checking that you had power to the fuel pump, then perhaps your basic knowledge of electricity is not enough for this. If you think you have a "main relay," then perhaps you are a little too unfamiliar with your truck to safely work on it.

If you had searched here at all, I can't imagine you would miss the scores of threads that start "my engine starts and runs only a few seconds."

But here goes: The fuel pump is powered by the COR. The COR is closed first when the key is turned to STArt (no, not to key-on), and when the engine starts sucking air is held closed by a switch in the VAF. This is the easiest of all problems to diagnose; jumper FP to B+ in the diagnostic connector. That bypasses the COR, and forces the pump to run with key-on. If the truck now starts, you know you have a problem in the VAF-COR circuit.

(It doesn't have anything to do with "too much air flow." The ecu doesn't cut power to the fuel pump; the ECU has nothing to do with the fuel pump. You don't have a MAF ("Mass Air Flow" meter -- that's different technology), but the VAF (volume air flow meter) has EVERYTHING to do with whether the fuel pump runs. If the VAF isn't connected, that switch can't hold the COR closed, and the truck won't run. And how old is this "old dude" you're talking about? 40? That would mean he was still in High School when your truck was built!)

Last, if you "proceeded to clean out the air intake tube and the throttle body," what about the rest of the engine? If you still had stuff to clean out after driving up and down a few hills, where do you think the rest of the muck went? For all I can tell from your description, you hydrolocked a cylinder and shattered a ring. You may have a long diagnosis ahead of you.

Good luck!

Last edited by scope103; 06-12-2017 at 09:06 PM.