Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just in neutral okay if towing 10-15 miles 4 flat with 5 speed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just in neutral okay if towing 10-15 miles 4 flat with 5 speed?

I have read all kinds of articles and posts on towing 4 flat with a manual trans. I realize that unhooking the driveline is the best scenario but I'm towing such a short distance, it's a little annoying. I have my motorhome parks 10-15 miles from where we do all of our camping and hunting. We drive the 89 truck to it, hook on to the motorhome and drive into camp. From what I gather, the trans can't really oil itself when in neutral but many say short distances is not a big deal. Once and for all.....will it be okay to tow in neutral 4 flat if I'm 10-15 miles and about 55 MPH? Also, it seems that my trans case doesn't have a neutral. Do I just leave it in 4H? Thanks!
Old 06-12-2017, 09:36 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
it's your Transfer case output bearings..if you have to put transmission and transfer case in neutral.
I destroyed a transmission and transfer case when one of them went into gear because I was too lazy to unhook the D/S
Roll the dice
Old 06-12-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but if you started the engine and left it idling in neutral wouldn't it lubricate properly? On such a short trip it's not like you'd burn a ton of fuel. Another option if you do this often would be a driveline quick disconnect kit, I'm not familiar with them but I know they are out there.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:40 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Mine is automatic, and with an automatic you must disconnect the driveshaft, because you can't back-drive the transmission (or the transfer case, in my case) without the hydraulic pump running in the transmission.

Which means, every tow truck driver out there disconnects drive-shafts 4-5 times / day. While lying in the snow. On the side of the embankment. In the dark.

I'm not a tow truck driver. So first I'd slide under my truck and match-mark the flanges (you only need to do it once). I have a pair of wrenches and some "baling" wire. That's all you need. It'll be faster than reading all these posts.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:40 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
The transfer cases behind the manual transmissions have an oil pump that is driven from the input shaft. Therefore, you MUST leave the tcase in gear so that the output shaft drives the input shaft and thus the oil pump. Otherwise the tcase output shaft will get no lubrication. 10 miles is actually quite a distance to go with no lubrication.

The transmission is somewhat different. There appears to be no oil pump, so it's possible the transmission is splash lubricated and might be OK being towed in neutral. Toyota does not recommend this, however, so I can't either. Leaving the engine running in neutral will turn the transmission input shaft and presumably improve lubrication, but again, you're playing test engineer here, with limited budget and sample size of one.

Disconnecting the drive shaft is certainly the safest approach. Once you do it a time or two you'll get pretty good at it. Just remember to torque the bolts properly when you put it back together. They're special bolts and need more torque than feels normal for their size. You don't want it coming off while driving.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:52 PM

Maybe I'm being crazy about this really. It's 4-6 times a year and takes 5 mins max. It's not like I have to jack the thing up either. Hmmm......I may have answer my own question. Looks like my MANGINA got in the way on this one. LOL

Thanks guys!

Last edited by dropzone; 06-12-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:00 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by RJR
... Just remember to torque the bolts properly when you put it back together. They're special bolts and need more torque than feels normal for their size. ...
Depending on the model, they're 54 or 56 ft-lbs. http://web.archive.org/web/201204171.../3propelle.pdf (I have a calibrated torque wrench, and I'm not sure I could reliably split that hair, but the Book says what it says.)
Old 06-12-2017, 04:13 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
it sounds like you have decided to just pulled the shaft but I thought I would post some pics for motivation, here is what happened when i was too lazy to pull the rear d/s after a day of wet wheeling

not supposed to see the spline coupler from the transmission when you pulled the T/C
Name:  friedinputshaft2.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  97.9 KB
Name:  friedinputshaft3.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  64.9 KB
crappy pic but you can see the bearings have been roasted
Name:  friedinputshaft4.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  85.5 KB
Originally Posted by dropzone
Finally got the transfer case apart. Looks like the thing kicked into low range and fried the bearings on the input shaft, no thrust bearings left

If I have to flat tow again I don't care how crappy the weather is I will crawl under and drop the driveshaft

hopefully get the PITA back on the road this monday or tuesday
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
friedinputshaft2.jpg (97.9 KB, 51 views)
friedinputshaft3.jpg (64.9 KB, 51 views)
friedinputshaft4.jpg (85.5 KB, 43 views)
Old 06-13-2017, 06:38 AM

Well that certainly settles it right there!!!! Thanks a ton for the scare and slap in the face!
Old 06-13-2017, 07:48 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Rule of thumb real wheel drive

Rear wheels on the ground The driveshaft comes off .

Then it is your vehicle if you feel lucky go for it!!!