86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My 87 Toyota 4X4 or Fun and mysteries of restoring a Toyota 4X4 that is a "gem"

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 05:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bump...rear drums overtight fixed

Its been about three months or four now... and I havent had a single problem...
...thanks God and thanks Yotafellows...

...I did was disasemble the rod of the LSPV and leave it at 12cms at the base...also grease the LSPV pivot.

Adjust my e brake cable ... guess this was the faulty part...It was missadjusted as well as the drum shoes... Its important to adjust the bellcrank and the e brake cable the proper way...

Thanks greyheadedguy...!!!
Old 11-30-2015, 07:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by morena67
Its been about three months or four now... and I havent had a single problem...
...thanks God and thanks Yotafellows...

...I did was disasemble the rod of the LSPV and leave it at 12cms at the base...also grease the LSPV pivot.

Adjust my e brake cable ... guess this was the faulty part...It was missadjusted as well as the drum shoes... Its important to adjust the bellcrank and the e brake cable the proper way...

Thanks greyheadedguy...!!!
I hope I saved you some of the headache I got to enjoy while figuring this out!
Old 11-30-2015, 07:39 PM

Not done with my "Gem", just took a break, but cold weather...

By the way, I am not done with my "Gem", but taking a much needed break...

Cold weather is hitting here (31 degrees this morning) I think I need to look into fixing my climate control levers. Need the heater and defroster!

Anyone know if I can pull the climate control cables and control panel out of my 85 and install it into my 87? Looks like it will all fit, just don't know if the cables are the same...

This "Gem's" climate control panel is all busted up, only thing that works is the fan switch everything else is twisted and hanging...

grey
Old 03-19-2017, 04:23 PM

Well, I'm back at it! I ordered my new to me tranny and got it here. My biggest complaint at this point is my carpet was glued down from door threshold to threshold from fire wall to the seat. I had to rip it completely out to remove my shifters. I pray it will lay down well enough to put it back together w/o gluing it down.

I pulled the tranny w/ bell housing and transfer case out of my "gem." Upon draining the gear oil out of the tranny the drain plug had a thick and so very smooth metallic paste on the magnet. Mind you I changed the tranny oil when I started driving the truck 18 - 24 months ago. I cleaned off the magnet at that time so this metallic paste is new. The oil looked good for whatever that is worth. Here is a picture of the new tranny on the ground next to what I just drug out of my truck.

I do seem to be having a problem getting my transfer case into neutral. Twice I have put it into what I believed was neutral only to have the front drive shaft turn when I turned the rear dive flange.
Attached Thumbnails My 87 Toyota 4X4 or Fun and mysteries of restoring a Toyota 4X4 that is a "gem"-p1110200.jpg  
Old 03-19-2017, 05:14 PM

Change drive seals on Transfer Case?

I do have a question for everyone reading this. My transfer case does not leak, it is completely dry. I have it out and I am wondering if I should change drive seals since I have the TC on the ground? Any thoughts? The truck does have 230,000 miles on it, don't know if TC does or not... I will be changing the front seal on the transmission since I have it out. And obviously I will replace any seals I have to take apart during this project.
I look forward to responses.

grey

Last edited by greyheadedguy; 03-27-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:38 PM

Well I got the transmission in, but had a few instances.

1.) If you are putting your transfer case on a junkyard transmission make sure you order a new oil seal that goes between them. I spoke to the Koyo Dealer in town and he did not have that seal, he could order it, but it would have taken him longer to get it. Whilee you are there buy the boots that broke when you removed them. Factory boots will last 20+ years compared to the 2 - 3 years you might get with after market seals.

grey
Attached Thumbnails My 87 Toyota 4X4 or Fun and mysteries of restoring a Toyota 4X4 that is a "gem"-p1110215.jpg  

Last edited by greyheadedguy; 03-27-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:51 PM

Transmission goes gug, gug, gug, gug...

Once I got the transmission and transfer case together I gently turned the the rear output flange and heard gug, gug, gug, gug. OH CRAP I thought... I found the Tcase shifter and made sure the Tcase was in high 4. Every shift was where it was supposed to be but still I heard, "gug, gug, gug, gug." I get thinking about it and realize that the transmission is stood on it's bell housing for a reason. So I lay the transmission Tcase assembly down. I then put the transmission shifter in and run through the gears on the tranny. They are all there where they are supposed to be, the, while in first gear I turn the input shaft on the transmission. I look at the rear output flange and it turns with no sound... I put it in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and finally reverse. The out put flange turns just like it is supposed to. That was it, I was done for the night and picked everything up and went to bed...

grey

Last edited by greyheadedguy; 03-27-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:04 PM

I rented a transmission jack, it was a beast and really too big for what I needed, as you can see I had to put the truck on jack stands to get the jack and tranny under the the truck. If you look closer you will see that the transmission actually sits taller then the frame of the truck. I had to jack the front of the truck up even higher. I topped out my jack, even with a block of wood on it, and it still wasn't quit high enough. I was able to push the jack with my feet and the tranny rolled just a little allowing it to slide under the truck... Thank God for the transmission jack, I don't think I would have got the tranny in without it. But it still took a lot of work getting everything lined up and it together.

grey
Attached Thumbnails My 87 Toyota 4X4 or Fun and mysteries of restoring a Toyota 4X4 that is a "gem"-p1110219.jpg   My 87 Toyota 4X4 or Fun and mysteries of restoring a Toyota 4X4 that is a "gem"-p1110217.jpg  
Old 05-01-2019, 06:02 PM

Just a quick update:

I had to go back into my rear brakes because they never did work right, I just stopped the driver side brake shoes from over tightening. When I pulled the drum off the right rear axle and I found that some how the adjustment cable got disconnected. I don't know how that happened but it was off when I got back in there...After putting it back together right and readjusting my bell cranks I have finally got my rear brakes working right as well as my parking brakes... Some days I feel so stupid...
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (05-02-2019)