Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My 3VZ-E Super Stock "Upgrade" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now for a question - is it even possible to get the transmission AND engine into the truck as a unit? I took them both out separatly - through the hood, which was a pain in the a$$... I'm thinking if I take the front wheels off to lower the front end a little (and get the front driveshaft off the T-case), it will be possible to get them both in as one.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:38 AM

Can you tell me what the engine comes with......

Their Ebay ad states that it comes with the oil pump, timing belt and gaskets....

Does it come with new tensioners and water pump????
Or will I have to purchase them new......

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on this beast as I just installed a used engine in my truck and now it has a rod knock....

Guess I am doing it again as I should have the first time.......OOOPS!
Old 06-07-2010, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MiCcEy916
I'll never put money into a 3.0 Imma throw away my 3.0 and slap on a 3.4
Why would you waste money on a 3.4 swap? I have been out of the game for a while and just picked up my 1990 toyota after selling my 1995 4runner. When I got it a friend asked if I was going to swap a 3.4 into it. I asked if he was out of his f***ing mind. All that work and money for minimal gains? When you can put in a small block chevy for the same price and the gains are endless? Would more then likely see the same, if not better fuel economy. Would have gobs more horsepower and torque, and I dont know a whole lot about the 3.4 but if you build a 350 right, it would probably be more reliable even. My .02 I guess.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by b4wheeler
Can you tell me what the engine comes with......

Their Ebay ad states that it comes with the oil pump, timing belt and gaskets....

Does it come with new tensioners and water pump????
Or will I have to purchase them new......

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on this beast as I just installed a used engine in my truck and now it has a rod knock....

Guess I am doing it again as I should have the first time.......OOOPS!
Ouch. Depending on how bad that rod knock is you might be able to get away with just replacing the one rod bearing by dropping the oil pan. I'd try that before a new engine if you think its worth the hassle.
It does not come with tensioners or waterpump. You'll need to purchase those. I'm not replacing my tensioner pulleys, hydraulic tensioner or waterpump because I've only got about 5,000 miles on them.

Originally Posted by BuujinBejiita
Why would you waste money on a 3.4 swap? I have been out of the game for a while and just picked up my 1990 toyota after selling my 1995 4runner. When I got it a friend asked if I was going to swap a 3.4 into it. I asked if he was out of his f***ing mind. All that work and money for minimal gains? When you can put in a small block chevy for the same price and the gains are endless? Would more then likely see the same, if not better fuel economy. Would have gobs more horsepower and torque, and I dont know a whole lot about the 3.4 but if you build a 350 right, it would probably be more reliable even. My .02 I guess.
There are some of us who like to keep Toyota parts in a Toyota vehicle. Plus the 3.4 pretty much bolts right in with minimal modifications (as far as engine swaps go)

Engine is going in on Saturday! Got the last few parts I needed. Just have to replace a few bolts & nuts and weld up my crossover pipe. Got the transimssion back in through the bottom with a tranny jack from harbor freight, which was only rated at 450lbs. I think the A340H is quite a bit heavier than that though as it bent the jack frame...

Last edited by dieselloco427; 06-07-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:47 PM

man good job, i have been watching this and other threads on the 3.0 because i bought a 89 4runner with a miss for 1000 bucks and want to rrebuild it after i get back from the Desert.

subscribed, keep up the good work
Old 06-09-2010, 03:50 PM

Little bit of an update
Engine is just about ready to be dropped back in the rig. The only thing(s) holding me up are reworking the crossover pipe and the oil dipstick gasket, which was oddly enough not included with the gasket set from Oregon Engines - unless I lost it - which is more likely. I did strip threads on an exhaust manifold bolt, but managed to use a longer stud to correct the problem. Might use helicoil before I put the engine back in just to play it safe.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by dieselloco427
Ouch. Depending on how bad that rod knock is you might be able to get away with just replacing the one rod bearing by dropping the oil pan. I'd try that before a new engine if you think its worth the hassle.
It does not come with tensioners or waterpump. You'll need to purchase those. I'm not replacing my tensioner pulleys, hydraulic tensioner or waterpump because I've only got about 5,000 miles on them...
I am going to try a massive quantity of Lucas first, then if that doesn't work, I am going the rod bearing replacement route...
It is definitely worth the hassle, considering the about of money that I am out trying to get the supposed good engine put in my truck.
I think I paid extra because I needed it quick and then the dreaded news......
Hoping that gets me far enough to rebuild a new engine and get it in later this year.. I just need a few months out of it..
The Dodge Cummins dually is not liking being a daily driver.....
Old 06-09-2010, 05:10 PM

I am subscribing to this thread...want to watch as you put the tweaks to it.

G
Old 06-09-2010, 06:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What I like about my 3VZE is that it fits. From the factory. My power steering and A/C and my rad and my wiring and my throttle cable and my exhaust and my transfer case and tons of other things all work already and I don't hafta fluck around with any torching or fiddling or head-scratching.

I've always maintained that the main thing holding back this engine is a bit more compression and lots more cam. A modern, aggressive cam lobe and 10:1+ compression will do very well.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:34 PM

any updates?
Old 06-26-2010, 09:44 PM

hopefully he's driving it now, but we still need those dyno numbers.
more pics too.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:34 PM

ya I'm curious on how much of a difference there is over the stock motor.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:00 PM

Kind of threadjacking, but I wonder how hard it would be to swap in a 4.6 DOHC Ford engine? Anyone know if it's been done?

I have a spare Supercharged 4.6L from my 03 Cobra on a stand in my garage
Old 07-01-2010, 06:02 PM

Hey guys!! I'm still alive. The Runner isn't alive yet though. Just got around to dropping the engine back in on Wednesday. Took a few pics. Between working my two jobs I've had no time to work on this, plus I was out of town for a week last week. So here we go
What has been done:
1) Engine is in, bolted to tranny and the frame
2) Majority of the wiring is complete (broke a few connectors, typical of a 15+ year old rig)
3) Most of the painting is done. Didn't paint the exhaust manifolds nor did I do the crossover mod. Time is an issue, I need this thing running by July 5th...
4) cleaned and tuned injectors are in. Sent them off to WitchHunter PerCormance

What needs to be done:
1) Exhaust - taking my old downpipe to a muffler shop to have them bend a 2 1/2" pipe exactly like it.
2) Intake Plenum install - some broken vacuum lines still need to be replaced
3) Rebuild power steering pump & replace lines.. - since I ripped the lines when I took the motor out anyway...
4) New Tranny cooler lines - yep broke those too when I took the engine out - didn't see that they were attached to the engine block with a bracket...

Ok - time for a few pics

Injector clean / test results:

Double checking that I had the driveplate on the right way and the torque converter on the input shaft correctly:

Not alot of room under the canopy...

Yes - I wear flipflops working on my rig... lol

Crossing my fingers it didn't fall.... I did scratch up the oilpan on the relay rod, oh well
More will come as soon as I make more progress.

Originally Posted by HighRunner
Kind of threadjacking, but I wonder how hard it would be to swap in a 4.6 DOHC Ford engine? Anyone know if it's been done?

I have a spare Supercharged 4.6L from my 03 Cobra on a stand in my garage
As far as that goes - check the swaps section of yotatech - or google it. On of my friends had talked about dropping one of those in his pickup, so I'd imagine it has been done before. You sure you don't want a supercharged 5VZ-E instead? lol, much easier to do... If I would have had about $2,000 more to my budget that's what I was going to do.

Last edited by dieselloco427; 07-01-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:15 PM

I went to Crower's website and didn't come across any 3VZ-E cams. Does Crower have them (if not now, did they ever)? Any part numbers?
Old 07-10-2010, 06:37 PM

I don't think Crower ever had cams for the 3VZ-E. I could be wrong though. They only have cams for the 22R, 4AGE, 2T/2TC/3TC, 1ZZ, and 2JZ-GTE. Not even one for a 5VZ... wow.

Update by the way!!
Got the engine running this evening!! I'm sure my neighbors very much appreciated open manifold exhaust at 10pm... hehe. I'm going to work some of the bugs out and get it to the dyno as soon as possible.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by dieselloco427
I don't think Crower ever had cams for the 3VZ-E. I could be wrong though. They only have cams for the 22R, 4AGE, 2T/2TC/3TC, 1ZZ, and 2JZ-GTE. Not even one for a 5VZ... wow.

Update by the way!!
Got the engine running this evening!! I'm sure my neighbors very much appreciated open manifold exhaust at 10pm... hehe. I'm going to work some of the bugs out and get it to the dyno as soon as possible.
This is good news. Congrats on getting it running.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:17 PM

congrats dieselloco, keep up on the pics..
Old 07-11-2010, 06:35 PM

Thanks guys!
Here's a few more pics I took today.

Open pipe right after the O2 - yeah, it's LOUD... my neighbor thought I had swapped in a 350 chevy...

Found a new engine name plate (toyotapartszone.com)

I still have yet to do the ISR mod, and exhaust, but it runs ok. Having a hard time getting it to idle and it bogs down under acceleration, but not reving the engine in neutral or park, just in gear. I adjusted the TPS tonight, but it was too late to start it up again. I'll check the timing advance again in the morning too. And to get it to idle, I pretty much had to screw the idle adjustment screw all of the way out. The easy part is getting everything back together - the hard part is making it run right hehe.

Last edited by dieselloco427; 07-11-2010 at 06:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-12-2010, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by mrddk92
i thought o/s valves would help more with the high rpm h/p?..thats why i didnt get them when i sent my heads to engnbldr. i wonder what exactly is different about the cams. i have crower cams in mine. i need a new block though cause oil is getting past my rings and i have low compression. lesson learned: when your hg's go out dont just rebuild the top-end, rebuild the whole damn thing lol
I read this thinking maybe at one point, Crower ground cams for the Threevee.

Quick Reply: My 3VZ-E Super Stock "Upgrade" Thread