Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Is my 22re biting the bullet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my 22re biting the bullet?

Yesterday, my 94 pickup, 22re, 185k, manual started giving off some nasty sound/vibration. Drove to work fine, but on the way home started really rumbling at the stop light. Its got a nasty rumble/possibly knocking, accompanied by lots of vibration at idle and up through the rpm range (highest I let it go was ~3000-3500). In hindsight, I should have made a video, but now it doesn't have oil. The sound is definitely the engine, the sounds matches the rpm (if that makes sense), but it doesn't sound like most knocks I've ever heard, although I've only had the pleasure of hearing fully matured, end of engine knocking.

I drained the oil last night looking for clues and there were some particles, but they didn't stick to a magnet, but felt hard, so I'm thinking the plastic/rubber pad on EBs metal timing guides. Previous oil change was clean. The timing chain was done about 7k ago (I didn't remove pan or head) and I had checked it at 3k or so and didn't see any railroading when looking down the timing cover.

So, I'm wondering what problems I am working with? The only engines I have ever rebuilt are lawn mower and dirt bike engines, so I have some familiarity, but I know this is going to be a different ball game.

My first step is going to be taking the valve cover off and taking a look later today. Out of curiosity, could a 22re that jumped timing create the rumbling sound and vibration? Or would it just not run? Also, due to not owning a hoist or engine stand, is it reasonable, or stupid, to rebuild these engines leaving the block in the vehicle? Any suggestions on the things I should start looking at and where to go from here are greatly appreciated. Wanted to add the engine didn't seem to have any apparent power loss. I did take it easy on the way home, but other than the terrible sound, it drove fine.

Last edited by cambob; 07-06-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:18 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
You could start by pulling the oil pan and see what is in there.

:wabbit2:
Old 07-06-2012, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valve cover is easier thats why I started there. Timing set looks intact as far as I can see. The guides are still in there at least and don't appear grooved. Guess oil pan it is, but that will have to wait for tomorrow.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:03 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I would guess you spun a bearing.... I've had that happen and while it will still run pretty strong... it makes quite a vibration and noise, because the crank is struggling to turn at that point... Every turn, IF THAT IS what this is, is further damaging the crank(mine was still turn-able, but I stopped running it IMMEDIATELY).

Wabbit, ... is it possible he lost a wrist pin? I know they make noise.... but not sure such a rumbling, etc. I would think it could... Lemme know, I'm curious, and I figure you've found some busted WPins?