Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

More issues with the 3.0 V6

Old 08-07-2011, 05:07 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
More issues with the 3.0 V6

This is the first and last one I will ever own. Seriously debating on selling this damn vehicle.

Anyways, Installed a new TPS, adjusted it accordingly. Drove fine for 3-4 days. but then it started developing an extremely touchy throttle. I did a check on the TPS and its having a fuel cut...? ( I would push the pedal down and it would rev up, die, rev up, die, rev up die... repetitive of course. )

So I replaced the new TPS with another new one. drove fine for 2 days, developed a touch throttle and it had a fuel cut again. ( same thing )

Now that brings us up to date. I replaced those TPS with a Denso one from toyota. Now it drove fine for two days and now its developing a damn touchy throttle again? its like wtf is going on. I cant get through a damn intersection with looking like the truck is on hydraulics....

So basically my question is. Whats causing the TPS to fail over and over again? the only thing I can possibly think of that its tied into is the ECU. Is there anything else that could cause this issue? Its definitely throttle related. it starts up perfectly fine, idles fine. Only when the throttle is being pushed on does it have an issue.

Anybody have a clue?

Last edited by MaK92-4RnR; 08-07-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This would be about the time where i'd say forget this and take it to a shop to have them mess with it.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
This would be about the time where i'd say forget this and take it to a shop to have them mess with it.
haha where do you think its been for the past 4 months? Top end was "rebuilt" and now more issues surfaced that weren't there before.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:34 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
It's most likely the dashpot, not the TPS. Hate to tell you this late in the game. But better late than never right?

How do I know it's the dashpot? That's the only thing that would cause that. Besides the throttle valve itself sticking inside the bore of the TB. Which would mean it probably just needs cleaned. Or possibly the throttle stop screw readjusted, so it doesn't close far enough to stick.

Don't give up on 'er just yet. Did you ever get the paper clip in the check connectors thing all figured out yet? Just curious...
Old 08-07-2011, 07:42 PM

I've never had the Dashpot go bad, nor have I ever messed with it? What would its symptoms be, and wheres it located?

Its definitely something throttle related. im getting zero codes ( they're all cleared and haven't come on in a month ) I'll have the throttle body checked on monday.

Im just growing impatient. Its been 4 months since i've had the vehicle free of issues. and i had the work done professionally so I wouldn't have to deal with any of it. quite frustrating, especially when they cant even figure out the issue.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you checked the wires and connectors with a multimeter just to see if you're getting any resistance through?

Just an idea to help, I hope you find out what's wrong soon.

Last edited by cr@ves4wheelin; 08-07-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:29 PM

All the I's have been dotted and T's crossed... thats what's confusing me. Timing is fine, ignition is fine, the throttle position sensor has been replaced numerous times. the power loss is gone... like i said It drives fine for a few days and then has a throttle control issue. I'll even get a video of it tomorrow. you guys might get a kick out of it. I kinda laughed about it at first, now its just getting old. lol

any other ideas?
Old 08-08-2011, 03:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm not understanding what you mean by "touch throttle"....?

It's not the TPS. I'd guess more along the lines of an issue with the VAFM.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:24 AM

K by touchy throttle i mean I can barely even TOUCH the gas pedal. ( normally it would progressively use more throttle as you push on it, correct? ) and it'll feel like im floored. so its basically no throttle, or completely floored. the throttle cable is not the issue, its been checked numerous times by myself and others. I can drive my truck around completely fine as long as when I shift im mashing on the gas pedal, or while im driving around its completely floored. make sense?

I'm about to leave for work, i'll get a video of what it does

Last edited by MaK92-4RnR; 08-08-2011 at 06:27 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.4 swap.

Fink
Old 08-08-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Fink
3.4 swap.

Fink
I'll take some donations if your pockets are deep
Old 08-08-2011, 09:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
I'll take some donations if your pockets are deep
My pockets are only deep with ideas and imagination.

Fink
Old 08-08-2011, 12:40 PM

My pockets are only deep with ideas and imagination.

Fink
Aint that the truth?

Theres actually a full complete 3.4 with 180k miles from a 99 tacoma 5 speed. comes with everything ( engine, harness, ecu, tranny and t-case ) for only 650!
Old 08-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member

Aint that the truth?

Theres actually a full complete 3.4 with 180k miles from a 99 tacoma 5 speed. comes with everything ( engine, harness, ecu, tranny and t-case ) for only 650!
Do you need the link to the 3.4 swap section so you can start your build thread? I'll be happy to link to it for you.

Fink
Old 08-08-2011, 12:54 PM

Do you need the link to the 3.4 swap section so you can start your build thread? I'll be happy to link to it for you.

Fink
lmao nah. I'm an old enough member to know better I actually have a 3.4 swap thread, but its hibernating, until future events
Old 08-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

lmao nah. I'm an old enough member to know better I actually have a 3.4 swap thread, but its hibernating, until future events
If by future you mean your increased frustration with the 3.0 reaching its boiling point today causing a chain reaction of events starting with you purchasing said 3.4, all associated swap parts, etc...I'll subscribe.

Fink
Old 08-08-2011, 01:06 PM

If by future you mean your increased frustration with the 3.0 reaching its boiling point today causing a chain reaction of events starting with you purchasing said 3.4, all associated swap parts, etc...I'll subscribe.

Fink
haha give it a year or two. the only reason i haven't given up yet is because that motor is under warranty for 30k miles haha.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:17 PM
Contributing Member

haha give it a year or two. the only reason i haven't given up yet is because that motor is under warranty for 30k miles haha.
That definitely changes things.

Fink
Old 08-10-2011, 04:42 PM

small update.

I was just told the TPS is shorting out due to the stereo by a professional mechanic. The stereo has been in the vehicle for almost 6 years and was professionally installed. This was not happening before they even touched the car. so...wtf? Am I over reacting or is this an actual legit issue?

I mean i've been dealing with half assed service for the past 4 months now. First when I got the truck back it has power loss issues ( BUT WASN'T BURNING UP THE TPS ). They fixed the power loss issue and it was because the vacuum hoses were hooked up wrong. ( I was pretty pissed at that because theres reasons i take it to a professional shop ). K so that was fixed and now the new issue surfaces. ( frying the TPS ) and it wasn't happening before. So wtf could they have done to do this? I legitmately told them to check the dashpot and the throttle valve to see if its sticking and they just look at me like "oh it cant be that"

anyways, What should I do? I'm pretty heated about the situation as it is. but I feel as if my truck should be the main priority. I honestly just want the damn truck on the road again and be able to have confidence that its not going to have an issue. So... now comes the conclusion. Should I strictly call the owner, tell him this is bull crap, and request a refund of all work the past 4 months? Or should I just let them keep fiddling with it and hope for the best? I just think im being completely cheated out of this because I've already paid my money and yet other people's vehicles are more important than mine. For example. I dropped the rig off there monday, and here it is at the end of the day on wednesday and they still dont know whats wrong. I drive by every day and glance in the shop because its on my way to work and every single time the rig is parked outside with the hood closed.

This is definitely making me think twice about taking it to a shop again. The whole reason I took it there was to make it so I wouldn't have to deal with it.

Last edited by MaK92-4RnR; 08-10-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would take it to a Toyota dealership, it's expensive, but at least they (probably) know what they are doing over there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: More issues with the 3.0 V6