Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

More issues with the 3.0 V6

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 05:37 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
K well... thats obviously an alternative. but thats not really helping the situation, as that would mean put more cash into it and doesn't exactly solve the initual issue.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cr@ves4wheelin
I would take it to a Toyota dealership, it's expensive, but at least they (probably) know what they are doing over there.
X2. I was going to suggest Toyota or find another garage. Are they usually good at that garage, do you go there all the time?
Old 08-10-2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by michael1963
X2. I was going to suggest Toyota or find another garage. Are they usually good at that garage, do you go there all the time?
they're usually amazing, this is the first major issue. myself and my family have been going there for years ( like i said earlier ) But Jessie ( the owner ) recently put this "dave" guy in charge of the other store ( The shop i go to ) and its been crap since then. And half the time he feeds me some lie/excuse that i would expect from a salesman. So Im gonna give Jessie a call tomorrow and be straight with him. I honestly dont think he's aware of the situation.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
K well... thats obviously an alternative. but thats not really helping the situation, as that would mean put more cash into it and doesn't exactly solve the initual issue.
Sorry, I know you're frustrated, I wouldn't even last 4 months without driving my truck. Since it's late, if your 4runner is with you, try disconnecting your stereo like the guy said. You got nothing to lose there.

Last edited by cr@ves4wheelin; 08-10-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by cr@ves4wheelin
Sorry, I know you're frustrated, I wouldn't even last 4 months without driving my truck. Since it's late, if you're 4runner is with you, try disconnecting your stereo like the guy said. You got nothing to lose there.
its kicking it at the shop. but they're pulling the fuse to the stereo and they're going to go from there. but seriously... why would the stereo have anything to do with it? it never did before. and it never had this issue prior to them fixing the power loss vacuum issue.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:30 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
hey mak its not the tps ..you say your not getting any codes , the tps will throw a code.

i cant think of the name right now but its the valve on the throttle body at the bottom where the two small coolant hoses connect thru the throttle body ..

i had 22re do the same thing your describing give it a little gas and it would rev up real high .. if i quickly pumped the pedal hard it would go away sometimes..

but if you drive really soft it wont do it its only when you give it a little extra gas that it would do it .

i though it was the tps and adjusted it a few times no change .. i finally just changed the throttle body and it stopped doing it .. i then took this valve apart on the old throttle body and found lots of calcium pieces in there and the spring was getting stuck open when the coolant flow would increase thru those hoses ..

if you have a access to another throttle body try changing it out ..

good luck bro!
Old 08-10-2011, 06:34 PM

its kicking it at the shop. but they're pulling the fuse to the stereo and they're going to go from there. but seriously... why would the stereo have anything to do with it? it never did before. and it never had this issue prior to them fixing the power loss vacuum issue.
I don't know, I just figured it's better than spending more money and finding out they were right.

Do you have an Amp? Maybe the power wires moved and are interfering with the TPS signal wires (something I read in my Amp Manual about power wires and signal wires).

Anyways, if they find out it's not the stereo, I would get the 4runner out of that shop if I were you.

Last edited by cr@ves4wheelin; 08-10-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by RMA
hey mak its not the tps ..you say your not getting any codes , the tps will throw a code.

i cant think of the name right now but its the valve on the throttle body at the bottom where the two small coolant hoses connect thru the throttle body ..

i had 22re do the same thing your describing give it a little gas and it would rev up real high .. if i quickly pumped the pedal hard it would go away sometimes..

but if you drive really soft it wont do it its only when you give it a little extra gas that it would do it .

i though it was the tps and adjusted it a few times no change .. i finally just changed the throttle body and it stopped doing it .. i then took this valve apart on the old throttle body and found lots of calcium pieces in there and the spring was getting stuck open when the coolant flow would increase thru those hoses ..

good luck bro!
you're refering to the throttle valve spring. and i told them to check it and they're refusing saying "oh it cant be that" I even told them to check the dashpot... lol
Old 08-10-2011, 06:44 PM

Im gonna basically tell them to crack open the throttle body, and reassemble it, torqued to specs.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:54 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
you're refering to the throttle valve spring. and i told them to check it and they're refusing saying "oh it cant be that" I even told them to check the dashpot... lol
Even I have no idea what he means, though I do know what he's refering to. And it's not relevant to a 3VZE(or a 22RE AFAIK).

It's not the dashpot then, I thought you were talking about surging. It's something else. Kinda confused myself at this point.
Im gonna basically tell them to crack open the throttle body, and reassemble it, torqued to specs.
That's what I'd do, except I'd do it myself. Nobody works on my rig but me. PERIOD. Maybe they can fix it. They should be able to determine if it's leaking vacuum or not.

Anyways, that's my next guess, a vacuum leak at the throttle valve mechanism. Sounds like it's allowing a HUGE vacuum leak at slightly open throttle. That would make it act like it were opened farther than it actually was. And then it stops leaking when you close it.

Why is this likely? Because the air is OBVIOUSLY getting into the engine SOME HOW or it wouldn't be revving up. There's almost certainly a vac leak somewhere, at the throttle valve, or after it. Or possibly a mechanical malfunction of some sort with the throttle valve. How is the air getting into the engine? That's the question.

Last edited by MudHippy; 08-10-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:16 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
WOW! ok had to go pick up the .243 i bought my son .. ok its been a long day for me and yea i probably didnt describe it that well but wow how many small coolant hoses does the throttle body have ?

Originally Posted by RMA

i cant think of the name right now but its the valve on the throttle body at the bottom where the Two small coolant hoses connect thru the throttle body ..

good luck bro!

heres

thats your problem ..at least it was on the 22re i was having the rev problem on
Old 08-10-2011, 08:58 PM

Mike if you do take it to a different shop give my guys at campus shell on fair oaks a chance. They know I working on mine and when I can not figure out the problem I bring it to them and that is not often. The big + is they have a yota guru and my disc golf buddy just gave them a shot a few weeks ago when I could not figure out his 3.slows rough idle which turned out to be his fan clutch which my buddy did spot before I took a look but neglected to show me. Good luck for ya do not want to see you miss this trip in 2 weeks.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:11 AM

You sure about this? So far these guys have not demonstrated much in the way of specific knowledge about the 3vze or customer service. I don't think I would let them anywhere near that throttle body, that will likely create new issues and compound the complexity of the problem. If Jessie can make it right, that's one thing, but from what I have read, I don't trust these guys at all.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Wrenchinjoe
You sure about this? So far these guys have not demonstrated much in the way of specific knowledge about the 3vze or customer service. I don't think I would let them anywhere near that throttle body, that will likely create new issues and compound the complexity of the problem. If Jessie can make it right, that's one thing, but from what I have read, I don't trust these guys at all.
what other choice do i have? its not like I can request a refund.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:49 AM

Your best option at present is to take it to the other shop where Jessie still manages things. At least that way he would have an interest in taking care of you and making it right. If the current guys eff your truck up worse, then your problem only becomes more expensive later.

The other choices you have are 1) to get real familiar with the FSM's diagnostic procedures and do it yourself, this is less expensive, you will learn a ton and know that it was done correctly, 2) find another reputable mechanic referred by someone trustworthy, this would likely be the median cost, or 3) dealer time... likely the most expensive option, but they will work their way through option #1 and are trained to do so.

Not a good situation Mak, sorry to hear you are still struggling with it.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:03 AM

I have had a handful of 22RE powered trucks and a few 3VZE powered trucks do what you are describing and it was EGR related, the EGR would get stuck and cause a jerky jumpy feeling like you are describing

BTW did you ever pull out a multi meter and acctually check all of the TPS's you put into it to make sure they were in spec or are you just pulling and replacing them

Last edited by Booosted Supra; 08-11-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:40 AM

I talked to Jesse earlier and they're gonna let me have the truck for the weekend with the stereo disconnected...( stupid )

and I would assume that they checked the TPS with a meter before replacing. I just feel like they're banging their heads against the wall and just keep replacing the sensors. The truck through code 71 ( for the longest time ) I replaced the EGR temp sensor and it turned off and its been off for weeks.

What i dont get is...

Why would the rig start to burn up TPS' now but it wasn't before? It had power loss issues before and it was because the vacuum lines were put on wrong. Now, they fixed that and the TPS is now burning up? that makes zero sense.

On another side note though. When I had the powerloss issue, I would drive around over the weekend and do errands... I'd go in the grocery store, come back out and my temp gauge would be PEGGED overheating. but it would move gradually down to regular temperature so i never thought anything of it, i thought maybe the thermostat was sticking or something. but It also hasn't done that since they fixed the power loss issue. does the TPS somehow have something to do with that? Also, when I had the cat on it glowed red after driving it for awhile ( its not clogged )

I'm just trying to process of eliminate with what information I have.

Thanks guys.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:23 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
i would call up CBC Engineering in Rancho Cordova and talk to the guy over there and see if he can suggest anything to you. I was talking to Brent at BC Fab and he was saying that he sends all his customers with Toyota issues over to him because the guy knows them inside and out. He may or may not be able to help, but at least it's something. good luck mang.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:28 AM

This is exactly why I will NEVER take my truck to a shop. I refuse to pay a shop to screw something up when I can screw it up myself haha. Good luck man.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my acura did just that when the tb was streched. and later on when the plugs were going south. and the dash pot isnt your problem its only purpose is to ease the closing of the tb. i ditched mine years ago

Quick Reply: More issues with the 3.0 V6