Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

More engine trouble - post hg repair - 3vze

Old 04-08-2011, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More engine trouble - post hg repair - 3vze

Almost ready to say screw the runner.. Its been nothing but trouble since I bought it.

I've been without a vehicle for the entire winter, waiting for my headgasket to be done.

First it was at a buddy of mines place, who let it sit for a long time before he took it halfway apart, only to decide he couldn't handle it..

SO finally I get it to a mechanic, he gets it running again, and I pick it up (3 days ago)

It was running mint when I picked it up, and continued to run great the following day. I put roughly 200 miles on it before I took it for its longest ride since the rebuild..

I drove it to the mountains in vermont to go snowboarding, it did perfectly, until the final hill to climb to the resort.

The gutlessness didn't really phase me, as I know how underpowered this motor is...

When I got to the top of the hill and depressed the gas to accelerate, i had no power, and it seemed to be skipping or something...

It is making an incredibly ominous knockin sound and seems to be struggling to run..

There is no smoke, the temperature gauge shows no indication of overheating, fluids are legit, etc, etc

The knocking makes me think its not a simple fix.

Anyway $300 later its back at the mechanics (Towing fees..), and he is going to look into it..

Any ideas? I'm really about ready to say screw this thing, I bought it for 2200, since then I've replaced the exhaust, clutch, had the hg/timing belt done..and in the end its still running like crap, and I'm yet again out of a vehicle..

I really don't want to sell...because I know how little it will get with a bad motor...I suppose I'm looking for ideas or advice in this thread, or perhaps just venting a bit..

I wish I would have invested the money to have an engine swap done in the beginning, as it seems I will have that amount into the POS 3vze before it is driveable again...
Old 04-09-2011, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man I hate to hear your having problems. Maybe it was something small and you'll be good to go.

Let us know what your mechanic says