Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mods on hold - Truck died and wont start :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 09:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mods on hold - Truck died and wont start :(

So, I was driving around the block to find a place to park after coming home from dinner with my wife. About 100 yards from home the engine just shut off. It wouldn't restart. There's plenty of power . . . . lights on, starter cranks, etc. It seemed like the way it just instantly shut off that it was an electrical problem like it wasn't getting any spark. First, I checked fuses and they all look good. I removed the coil wire and tried to get spark on one of the ground screws in the inner side of the fender well. I couldn't get any spark. So, I checked the FSM and started to go through the ignition spark test. I can't figure out why they want you to check the resistance of the spark plug wires after you determine there's no spark from the coil wire. So, I skipped that test. I checked the positive terminal of the coil with the ignition on and got 12.3 volts. I checked the primary and secondary resistance of the coil. For primary I got 0.5 Ohms although every time I checked it it started out higher and settled down to about 0.5 sometimes dipping down to 4.9. The acceptable range is 0.4-0.5 (cold). My engine was still warm from driving so . . ??? The secondary resistance was within range. I stopped the procedure there since it was getting late and I figured my wife needed a break from holding the flashlight. I guess I should have just kept at it and got the headlamp out. Anyway, I looked to the end of the spark test routine and the last step is if everything checks out and you still don't have spark then try another igniter. I'm thinking maybe I ought to try another igniter to start with. Anybody have any advice?

[Edit] Oh, I plugged the gauge cluster back in to see if it was showing a CEL. There is not CEL

Last edited by Snorkeldepth; 04-23-2006 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i recomend trying to chec for spark strait out of the coil no wire.hope its the wire if its not id replace the coil chaces are its probably not behind the coil but i have made the wrong asumptions befor good luck
Old 04-23-2006, 11:17 PM
Contributing Member

Where's the I feel stupid smilie? It was the 7.5A IGN fuse that burnt in a way that it looked good without pulling the fuse. Lesson learned - always pull the fuses in the questionable circuit an inspect closely and don't be a lazy bum otherwise you'll waste four hours stressing over whether you need a new igniter, a new ECU, need to troubleshoot your wiring harness (ugh!), etc.

:pat:

Oh, well . . . . I learned a few more things about my truck in the process. So, it wasn't a complete waste of time. What got me back to checking the fuse was noticing that my CEL didn't go on when I turned the ignition key on. I connected W to ground and still no CEL. So, I started to go through the circuit when voila! Thanks SeeBee for thinking about my brain fade.

Hmmm . .. . what would cause the IGN fuse to blow in the first place???

Last edited by Snorkeldepth; 04-23-2006 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:22 PM

any thing could cause that to blow

fuses are funny off the subject i was riding my motocycle through northern cali and theres a town called redwood city i popped my ign fuse 2 mi after the town goin to the coast and two miles after the same town going back home the fuse never snapped again. check for bare wires next to the fuse panel and maybe next to the ign coil. it probably wont happen again but keep a few in the glovebox just in case. i've also had fuses blow in the ends so they look good but there not i found the best and fastest way to check them is with a test light attach to ground and probe the top of the fuse (both sides ) or check for continuity between both side i never trust the visual test anymore and i hate pullin those lil ˟˟˟˟˟˟ers out.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:17 PM

and I was kinda hoping it was shot, and you were gonna part it out
Old 04-24-2006, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

If this truck ever goes then my YotaTech family will have the first crack at it for sure whether it goes whole or in pieces! After all you all are the ones who have helped me the most keeping it going and making sure that it improves with age. In the mean time, I'm having way too much fun with it for now. Even when it keeps me up until midnight.

PS Now the spare fuses that were in the truck back when it had a center console are now back in the truck!! And I stopped by my car tech buddy's place. He told me he always checks fuses with a test light. They often break where you can't see it.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:06 PM

i would check to make sure your computer ground wire is still good...a good buddy of mine's truck just died for no reason and that was it..
Old 04-24-2006, 06:53 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks, the truck is good to go for now. I do intend to give as much of the wiring as I can the once over paying special attention to ground wires and connections. I think I'll pull the driver's kick panel fuse box and give it a look. I had some water intrusion in that area and that might be the culprit.