Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Misfiring popping and a code 12

Old 08-01-2009, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misfiring popping and a code 12

Ok guys, been a while since I posted on here and I am officially stumped. Sorry for the novel here, but heres a little backround, Truck is a 94 2wd 22re, Last Oct coming home from a show in NC it started the dreading rattling, So next day I pulled it apart and found the guides were gone, between work lack of funds, weather (working outside) etc etc, I finally getting it fixed now, During the last week I have done ALOT of work to this truck, trying to get it to Carlisle next weekend. New MSD coil, msd wires, and alot of other goodies. Anyway. It started and ran fine, once it got a little warm it would would starting misfiring when I revved it, popping etc. yesterday I dropped the pan to clean out the guides and got it all back together, did a motor flush, started it up and it was running ok. Slammed the hood and it bogged out and cut off. And wouldnt restart, Let it cool down and it would start back up... Then last night I was doing more work getting it to charge and I moved it, tried to bog down and I revved it a few times held it to the floor when it started missing and it popped, puff of black smoke and then idled fine and didnt miss at all, Was running great. Figured it was some trash from sitting for 8 months, new fuel filter last night. This morning it was back to the same missing etc. Washed the truck and went to move it back to the driveway and it was missing and popping and running so bad I couldnt even park it. Its throwing a code 12 now and wont start at all. Soo much work and I dont even know if its gonna be drivable next week

Even more done since this pic
Old 08-01-2009, 07:18 PM

Also wondering if the AFM could be an issue with it running...It got beat up a bit during this whole process, and the other day when I slammed the hood and it cut off, It might've bumped the AFM

Last edited by ShortyzKustomz; 08-01-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Code 12: RPM Signal. No NE signal input to the ECM for 2 seconds or more after STA turns ON. Trouble area: Open or short in NE circuit; distributor; Open or short in STA circuit; ECM.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:12 PM

Yeah I've read that, on here, at work and a few other places... As soon as I a free chance between work Im stripping the harness down goin to the dizzy, I extended that whole harness when I was cleaning up all the wiring. of course, now that its all clean and tucked away I gotta pull it all apart and check it out. Im also going to snatch the whole AFM assembly off my neighbors truck with a blown motor and give it a shot as well. It showed now codes at first, and then I tried to start it and thats when the truck wouldnt start. Then it threw a code 12
Old 08-02-2009, 05:40 AM

Anyone have any ideas? Im supposed to be leaving Friday for Carlisle, and I really want to get some road time before I head out, I have very limited time between work so I need all the advice I can get, Thanks!
Old 08-02-2009, 04:35 PM

Update..Switched AFM with my brothers truck and mine started right up, Ran PERFECT! Revved clean, no popping or anything. Let it idle a few mins and it started stumbling a little, went to rev and its back to popping and breaking up, Im sure its more noticable because of the exhaust dumping in the rear fenderwell But its horrible. So it seems to be once it warms up a little bit!
Old 08-03-2009, 07:00 AM

Ok more updates even though I havent got any feedback. Last night I checked codes again, no more code 12, now throwing a 13 which is above 1500 rpms no signal if I do recall, So anyway today I rewired the whole harness going to the distributor because I had extended that harness to hide it, So as soon as I find a AFM so my truck will start I will see where Im at now.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The code is a bit misleading. It suggests an issue with the distributor or wiring, but the igniter is in the path of the signal in question, and relays the NE signal from the distributor to the ECU.

Ditch the MSD coil, or at least try a stock coil. An improperly rated coil can cause the igniter to overheat and fire inconsistantly resulting in erroneous NE related signals.

Last edited by abecedarian; 08-04-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:51 AM

Got it running now...Thank god for my neighbor having a 93 with a blown motor, Switched AFM, wouldnt start, switched distributor, wouldnt start, then switched ignitor...Once it burned off all the fuel it actually seems to be running good... Should I get rid of the MSD before I attempt this trip in 2 days?
Old 08-05-2009, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, coil attributes may not match OEM coil and damaging ignitor. OEM coils rarely give problems but the ignitors seem to die over time. Don't see an advantage of using the MSD in your applicaton but do see a reliability risk.

My $0.02
Old 08-05-2009, 08:02 AM

Only reason I went with the MSD was cause I had it in stock at my work and I didnt have a stock coil. Im using a 93-95 ignitor and a 92 style round coil... I ran this setup for a few months without a problem, then I switched it to the msd when the stock coil I had got messed up during this whole rebuild. The MSD was only used about 20 mins, hopefully I didnt fry anything last night when I got it running. I just ordered in a stock 92 coil

Last edited by ShortyzKustomz; 08-05-2009 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:20 PM

Just an update... Stock coil put back in... Got it running, Seafoamed it, did some more work, Took it on a 20 min drive (First time seeing road in 8 months). Next morning I hit the road to Carlisle, Put 750+ miles on it in 3 days and daily drove it every day this week. Only fatality was a water pump, Had shaft play on the way home, new one installed that night