86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

misfires cyl 1&2 PLEASE HELPPPPPPPP

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
misfires cyl 1&2 PLEASE HELPPPPPPPP

ok guys I have a 1987 Toyota truck(obviously) 22re, picked the truck up cheap and got it running after finding the fuel pump fuse blown, found a rubbed wire at the pump and made the repairs to that, anyways she ran great, drove it up and down the road, came back 24 hours later and its locked up, pulled plugs and found cylinders full of fuel and the intake pipe from the air box to TB fuel of gas?????!!!!!!!!! replaced the injectors, fired it up and now its got a terrible misfire, and the intake is still filling with gas, so I replaced the cold start injector and fixed the issue with the gas in the intake but I still have this mysterious misfire, when I replaced the injectors I added new pigtails and a resistor pack, I made sure to not get wires backwards and not plug them in backwards, I had to fight to get the harness back where the CSI would plug in. my misfire is on cyl 1&2, I can pull plug wires with no change, pull wire #3 and engine dies, can pull plugs out of cyl 3&4 and run truck on cyl 1&2 and vise versus with removing plugs 1&2 and running it just on 3&4. compression test all cyl and all are within 5psi of 170psi, can somone please help I'm fixing to pull my hair out.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:50 PM

Update, after sitting over the weekend I pulled the intake pipe at the TB and to no surprise it's full of fuel, got the engine harness out now and have found some of the worst wiring I've ever seen, going to fix all these shade tree repairs the correct way but I still need some insite on the intake being full of fuel, as far as the miss on cyl 1&2 I found a broken wire to the injectors so I'm thinking that's my issue there, also the entire upper intake was wet with gas and cyl 1&2 runners on the lower were both full of fuel, this may be because these valves are closed currently but who knows at this point, checked resistance at CSI had 0.6 ohms, checked same readings on my daily Toyota and have 80 ohms
Old 06-09-2016, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The way I have checked to see if my CSI was leaking was to un-bolt it from the Plenum and gently bent the metal line back with the CSI still attached. I then blocked off the hole in the plenum with some duct tape. Then I started the truck and let it run a while. That should tell you if the CSI is flooding your fuel system.

Other wise I can only see fuel getting into the Intake thru the fuel injectors by one or more not closing. To test an injector, I use the little square (9 Volt??) battery with a hose attached to either end of the injector and a big syringe filled with injector cleaner and with lots of pressure, I attach some leads from the battery to the injectors terminals for about a second at a time. It would help to have a couple of extra hands to do this test. I use a vise to hold the injector while operating the battery and wires to test the injector.

Between the CSI or fuel injectors is about the only way I can see fuel leaking into the Intake.

I am assuming you have the Firing Side correct and working so I am going to going to suggest the Fuel Side. Since you have no idea what the Previous Owner has done. I would trace the fuel injectors wiring back to Pins 10 and 20 on the computer and make sure they have not been hacked up. Without looking at a wiring diagram I forget which one goes where but Injectors 2 and 4 share one wire and Injectors 1 and 2 share another. I would see that they are wired correctly and getting a signal. I use this https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...t-22re-270857/ for testing for a signal.

In the Injector harness, the injectors wiring are attached with a poorly designed wire crimp. I cut out the crimps and solder the wires together. One wire will be yellow and the other wire will be blue. Each wire feeds two injectors. The crimps are located in the harness that dips down between the Inner Fender and Intake.

In my build threads below in my signature, on my 88 and 86 runner builds I have some information on Non Firing Injectors that I went thru. The first page should show where in my builds the information is located.

Last edited by Terrys87; 06-09-2016 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:46 PM

thanks for the reply, I took the entire engine harness out and found the previouse owner had already been in the harness and made a poor splice for injectors 1&2 along with several other twisted bare wires and black tape 0_o. fixed all the wires and and ran the truck, miss is gone it runs smooth as it should, came out 8 hrs later pulled my intake pipe and its full of fuel again, so I pulled the vaccum lines of the TB and one had gas in it, traced it back to the charcoal canister and pulled the fat vaccum line off it and it just poored gas like it had pressure behind it so I took the gas cap off and the flow stopped. previous owner said he did a fuel pump and I'm beginning to wonder if he didn't get the vent and return lines backwards
Old 06-09-2016, 02:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The pump must be running continuously. Thats why the fuse was missing. Its the only way to get that. next your injectors must be leaking, its the only way to hydro lock and engine with gas, & a running fuel pump. Check the oil, I bet its full of gas too.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:35 PM

skypilot thanks for the reply, injectors are brand new and the fuse was not missing just simply blown from a shorted wire at the pump harness. The way I'm seeing it is that when the previous owner installed a new fuel pump he installed return and vent lines backwards causing "vent" pressure to actually flow up the return hose and thus push fuel from the tank to the charcoal canister and from the canister back into the TB thru the vacuum hose from the canister to the TB. I had the return line off the canister and it was gushing fuel but as soon as I took the gas cap off and relieved the pressure from the tank the gas flow stopped
Old 06-09-2016, 03:02 PM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
it won't matter if the lines are backwards, they lead to the same place. you've got a separate issue causing problems. the gas cap is vented. the canister isn't supposed to have liquid, only vapors/fumes. if the upper plenum is filling with fuel, your FPR may leak. the FPR leaks by allowing fuel to flow past its diaphragm into the vacuum line and into the plenum. mine used to leak, but never to the point of filling the plenum with fuel. it was just enough to be too rich to start easily.

also, it doesn't matter which injectors are wired together. they all fire at the same time, on every stroke. you can switch the wires around, and the truck will run fine. i've done it. what matters is good connections, solid grounds, and decent wire.

wally
Old 06-10-2016, 08:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Check and see if that fuel pump shuts off. that's is a lot of fuel to be coming out. Also as wallytoo said the tank should be at atmospheric at all times.