Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mexico Build up!! Need suggestions on preping a 92 4-Runner for 4000 mi trips.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexico Build up!! Need suggestions on preping a 92 4-Runner for 4000 mi trips.

Every year around Christmas I and several of my caving friends usually drive almost non stop from Virginia to Mexico to go on caving expeditions. I am preparing my 4-runner for the long journey this year and next and need some advice on what things would be good to have on it. I have a few specific questions but I am also open to experienced suggestions. I also abide by the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle.

Just so you have an idea of what my capabilities and mechanical understanding are here is some of what I know. I have done all maintenance on this vehicle since 01 when I bought it and even put a new long block in the vehicle myself as well as done all the mods on the vehicle. I have rebuilt a 22re I use to have in my old 93 Toyota pickup, and the engine in my old 86 Ram 50 pickup. I also do side work on my friends cars. So I have some what of a clue as to what I am doing. This being said here are a few questions.

1st This I feel is my most critical. I have a set of All Pro 1-1/2" coil springs with a Downey 3" lift kit in the rear and Downey 26mm torsion bars in the front. When I load the back full of gear it sags like no tomorrow and bottoms on the bump stops. I am wanting to get better coil springs that can hold in the neighborhood of at least 500 +lbs of gear and people yet isn't to terribly harsh when unloaded. I have looked at OME springs and Downey springs as well as others and was wondering what others thought.

2nd I have found some bucket seats that I want to replace the rear bench seats with. I was wondering if anyone has done this before or something similar. I know I need to make a mounting bracket for them so I can use the mounting holes that were used for the bench seats. Any suggestions on this one would be helpful.

3rd I am also looking to get a front and rear bumper for the Runner. I want to have a spare tire carrier on the back, 2" hitch receivers front and back for a portable winch, toe hooks front and back, I want it to slide off stuff rather than hanging up on it, a protected place to put lights, and I would prefer it to be a solid bolt on. Price is also a factor. I was thinking of a tubular design but I am not sure of the pros and cons between them and a bumper built like ARB.

4th I am also looking for well functioning rock sliders that are bolt on as well. Not that I slide across rocks as much as I do trees or dirt. I just want to protect the kick panel before it gets any more dents in it.

This is enough to get me started. I will probably come up with many more questions. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:06 PM

Check out this guy's website...drove a Toyota truck from the US to Belize and up to Alaska! I'm planning a roadtrip to Alaska and found his journal and DIY preparations very useful. I'd say make sure you get any major maintenance done a few weeks before you leave, to shake out any possible problems. Take a nice supply of spare parts, water pump, etc etc, but cash will get you out of most problems. It's stupid try to be prepared for non-roadside-fix problems. I don't know if I've helped, but I really like brainstorming roadtrips. Good luck!

http://www.geocities.com/bnibali/index.html
Old 10-16-2006, 05:06 PM
Contributing Member

You've gotta get ahold of Chris, aka Baja Taco. Check out his site and go from there.

http://www.bajataco.com/
Old 10-17-2006, 07:47 PM

Thanks for the info. These sites are a good start. It looks like in the next few weeks I will try to get the rear bucket seats installed, accessary lights on the roof rack, and find a pressure tank for my on board air system that I have. I am still in debate as whether to go with the Downey HD rear coil springs or OME springs. My All Pro springs just won't cut it. Does anyone know what kind of weight either of these springs can handle? Are either of them really harsh when un weighted?
Old 10-17-2006, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Fizboy
1st This I feel is my most critical. I have a set of All Pro 1-1/2" coil springs with a Downey 3" lift kit in the rear and Downey 26mm torsion bars in the front. When I load the back full of gear it sags like no tomorrow and bottoms on the bump stops. I am wanting to get better coil springs that can hold in the neighborhood of at least 500 +lbs of gear and people yet isn't to terribly harsh when unloaded. I have looked at OME springs and Downey springs as well as others and was wondering what others thought.
http://www.centuryperformance.com/airlift/oskits.asp
Old 10-19-2006, 03:31 PM

I thought about putting in an air suspension but I feel that it will be a henderance in my flex when I need it. I feel that better coil springs will do me more good for when I wheel it on the weekends. Thanks for the suggestion. I e-mailed the USA rep for ARB the other day about the OME springs. I got a reply and he wants me to send him pics of my truck because he is thinking about also making a 4-runner into an expedition vehicle. Maybe we can collaborate together and come up with some sweet ideas. This weekend I am hoping to remove the rear bumper in preparation of coating the lower half of the body with durabak. I am also hoping to design a new antenna mount for my CB antenna and if I can find some lights I like I will try to install them as well. IWe will have to see how the weekend goes.

Last edited by Fizboy; 10-19-2006 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:29 AM

So the Mexico trip was a bust. I wasn't able to make it on the trip due to issues that came up. I did however do the bed liner coating on the lower half of my truck and it came out awesome. I highly recommend it. The only problem with it is that during the prepping I found out where all the rust is on my truck. Oh well I guess it had to happen sooner or later. The CB mount came out a lot better than I anticipated. Since I took off the bumper I didn't feel like putting it back on unless it was a nice steal bumper so I am waiting to get one made. So this is where it sits for now.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you ever feel like coming furtur south to Belize to check out the ruins, pm me, i run a B&B and put you and give you tours around Belize in my Yota or as a team, i got a few friends down here that off road and are great guides to trails
Old 07-04-2007, 03:38 PM

Rock Sliders Oh Boy!!!

Yeah!!! Tomorrow I am getting rock sliders made for the Runner. I bumped into some local guys that have a side business fabricating bumpers. I saw their work on a jeep and it looks pretty stout. I started off talking to them about the cost to build a rear bumper but while I was home visiting my mom I remembered that I had a stash of some tubing from when I was planning on making bumper for an old truck I use to have, so now here come sliders. I can't wait. At the same time they are going to price me for the rear bumper as well and maybe even a front. I will post pics once the sliders are finished.

Here is an attached picture of how it is now.
Attached Thumbnails Mexico Build up!! Need suggestions on preping a 92 4-Runner for 4000 mi trips.-4-runner.jpg  
Old 07-30-2007, 04:33 PM

Rock sliders are on

Well my rock sliders are on the truck. It has just taken me forever to get around to posting pics but here they are. Then next thing I am working on is reclining seat backs for the truck. We will see how that goes. Then it is back to school which will take up all of my time and $$$ for the winter. Which is really a shame because I just scored a free 84 Toyota pickup from my ex girlfriends father. I just need to find a trailer to haul it from Madison VA to Blacksburg VA. Then it will have to sit over the winter until I have time and $$$. Then it will be a kick ass project truck.
Attached Thumbnails Mexico Build up!! Need suggestions on preping a 92 4-Runner for 4000 mi trips.-rocksliders.jpg   Mexico Build up!! Need suggestions on preping a 92 4-Runner for 4000 mi trips.-rocksliders2.jpg