Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Marlin Crawler Rear Bumper

Old 11-10-2008, 08:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Marlin Crawler Rear Bumper

Well, timing was perfect as Friday UPS delivered a little present from Fresno, Ca. Got it painted up and ready for Saturday morn.

Took off all the stock bumper stuff, hoping to make a few bucks by selling them. Did cut off the brackets as well.

And the finished product...

If anyone was thinking about this bumper I highly reccomend it. It was super easy to install, took me less than an hour to finish up. It's sturdy as can be and the fit is perfect. I know seasoned veterans knew this already, but I thought it would help in the decision making process of some of us nubes. I will be spending more cash at http://www.marlincrawler.com/

Last edited by 87LVRunner; 11-10-2008 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:53 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I am a month away from ordering that bumper.
It looks fantastic on your rig!!!
Old 11-10-2008, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They look freaking amazing on 1st gen 4runners imo.

I wanted one soo bad for mine, but i saw one on a 2nd gen lately and wasn't to enthused about the looks, plus i have the swing out tire carrier and it apparently won't fit without modification. Ill probably still buy one when i have the extra cash laying around! lol Right....

But that does look super good!!!
Old 11-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
That new bumper looks great, probably one of the most reasonably priced and functional bumpers out there. Be sure to add that 1" bead along each side or it may end up sagging after you pull on it a few times.

Only thing I was disappointed about my MC bumper is that the Shackle (d ring) points were not as thick as they show on the website, only 3/8" wide instead of 3/4"

Originally Posted by 904_runner
I wanted one soo bad for mine, but i saw one on a 2nd gen lately and wasn't to enthused about the looks, plus i have the swing out tire carrier and it apparently won't fit without modification. Ill probably still buy one when i have the extra cash laying around!
So you modify the Marlin Bumper to a Swing out like I had done
Old 11-10-2008, 11:01 AM

^not bad, but i have a factory swing out, and i don't feel like modifying it too much.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:36 AM

would be nice if they would get some in stock for first gen pickup long beds.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
That's snazzy!, but how do you open the tail? I'm guessing from the pic that you have something modified goin' on. I'm hoping to stay 'stock'...kinda anyway.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ocdropzone
That new bumper looks great, probably one of the most reasonably priced and functional bumpers out there. Be sure to add that 1" bead along each side or it may end up sagging after you pull on it a few times.

Only thing I was disappointed about my MC bumper is that the Shackle (d ring) points were not as thick as they show on the website, only 3/8" wide instead of 3/4"

Oh man I want something like that SOOOOO bad for my pickup. Who did the work and what did it cost, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 11-10-2008, 01:52 PM

looks great. I want one of those for my pickup. I just don't like how you have to do some cutting to mount them onto the pickups.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by toyNG
looks great. I want one of those for my pickup. I just don't like how you have to do some cutting to mount them onto the pickups.
Are you talking about the two notches you have to cut into the roll pan? Heck I figured that was a small price to pay considering how much sheet metal the bumper covers up.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 87LVRunner
That's snazzy!, but how do you open the tail? I'm guessing from the pic that you have something modified goin' on. I'm hoping to stay 'stock'...kinda anyway.
He's one of those lucky ones with the Pre-4Runner (Trekker) that only has the hatch that opens up, leaving plenty of room to weld on a swing-away without worrying about interference like the pickup and 4Runners. Grrr . BTW, I love the way that bumper looks on your "B-4Runner"

Andy.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I love the marlin bumper. But when I installed one on my girlfriends 2nd gen runner.. geeze. That mofo took a good 2 1/2 hours to bolt in. Things would just not line up... Meh Maybe I got a bad one.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:18 PM

If you plan on using it at all on the trail, do the recommended weld! Or else it will shift around when it hits a rock...
Old 11-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 89silverpu
If you plan on using it at all on the trail, do the recommended weld! Or else it will shift around when it hits a rock...
No kidding! I got some nice dents where the brackets hit the roll pan.. Doh!
Old 11-10-2008, 06:38 PM

87LVRUNNER that looks freaking sweet. i cant wait to get one as well. very nice. you should be proud.

ocdropzone. who/what was involved in putting the swing out on there?
Old 11-10-2008, 06:53 PM

87LVRunner - I have been trying figure out what rear bumper to get. You sold me man! That looks so bad a$$. I have to agree with 904_runner, they look especially good on 1st gen runners. SOLD!
Old 11-10-2008, 07:09 PM

I put one of these bumpers on my first gen about a year ago. I love it and I havn't seen anything out that there comes close. My only problem with it was that it was a PITA to get on. Some people say it just slips on and others (like me) had a hell of a time getting it on. I can't remember but it was either to narrow or to wide. Once it was on it looks great.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like that bumper, good choice!! Their front bumper landed on my truck, and my rear bumper is home-made, but inspired by the MC unit.
And, that is a beautiful 87 you have!!!!

Old 11-11-2008, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Chunky
My only problem with it was that it was a PITA to get on. Some people say it just slips on and others (like me) had a hell of a time getting it on. I can't remember but it was either to narrow or to wide. Once it was on it looks great.
Thanks all for the compliments! It took a combination of some floor jacks, a high lift, and a breaker bar to get it on, but compared to some things, it was cake. Next I'm getting in the Addicted Off Road front bumper and the Budbuilt skids. Once I get those in and some rock guards, I will be tack welding everything.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:05 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Thanks all for the compliments! It took a combination of some floor jacks, a high lift, and a breaker bar to get it on, but compared to some things, it was cake. Next I'm getting in the Addicted Off Road front bumper and the Budbuilt skids. Once I get those in and some rock guards, I will be tack welding everything.
Feels good doesn't it getting something that is both functional and looks freaking awesome? If I had seen the Addicted Off road Front bumpers before I had already ordered the Trail Gear Winch mount I would have gone with one of his. I think you are making a great choice...

Thanks, my truck is called a Trekker, a conversion done by Winnebago. One of 1200 done, considered by some to be a 4Runner prototype Everything behind the cab is fiberglass. The bumper swings out and I can lift the rear hatch.

Originally Posted by Junkers88
Oh man I want something like that SOOOOO bad for my pickup. Who did the work and what did it cost, if you don't mind me asking?
Derek at Revenge Fab in Mt. Angel, Oregon did the work for me. I provided the hinge kit. He did a front bumper and converted the Marlin to swing out for $225....things were slow and he gave me a killer deal. It would run quite a bit more now...
Plans are for him to do a full internal cage.

For those considering a Marlin bumper a lot of guys that I know that do fab work say they could not touch the price of one. It is one of the best and easiest ways to provide some protection for your rear end and quarter panels.

Mine took a hit by a van at Home Depot, I had white paint on the bumper Right side of the bumper and the plumber had a nice big crease down the side of his van

Last edited by dropzone; 11-11-2008 at 09:06 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Marlin Crawler Rear Bumper