86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Manual Swap Electrical Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 12:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Manual Swap Electrical Questions

I'm getting ready to swap out my auto tranny for an r151f manual tranny and I've got a few questions about the electrical modifications. So I know I have to ground out the shift selector so the ecu thinks the tranny is always in neutral. This will allow the truck to always start, however, how do I get the key out? Currently, you can only pull the key out of the ignition when the tranny is in park.

Another question I have is how I get the cruise control to work when the ecu thinks that the tranny is in neutral. With the auto tranny, the cruise control will only work when it is in a drive gear. As soon as I shift it into neutral, it kills the cruise control setting. How exactly do I over ride this?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-01-2009, 05:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tdubbs05
I

i can only help w/ the cruise control to work when the ecu thinks that the tranny is in neutral. With the auto tranny, the cruise control will only work when it is in a drive gear. As soon as I shift it into neutral, it kills the cruise control setting. How exactly do I over ride this?

Thanks in advance!

sounds like a volt meter is necessary here.
should be fairly straightforward, and even color coded...(sorry i cannot help w/that)

what i can help with is the 5 speed cruise control vehicles..
1...my 88 yota 4x4 has c.c., but its not connected, adn i dont use it, but i can poke around for ya if you need me to..
also
i have some pix of it too...

my BMW has cruise and its a 5speed...
one thing it has, and you can find in many / any wrecking yards is the two cuttoff switches you will need and use all the time.

1 for the clutch
1 for the brake

these cutoff switches just ground out the connection to kill it, and it will come in handy, or you may be cruising along, and try to shift gears, when your engine will redline, and maybe float valves if your governer is not active....(either way, the switches are important).

it may be a bit more wiring, but will come in handy all the time (if you use c.c.)...also, if your not used to c.c., i never run it in the rain, or on wet roads...

heres a pic of my truck, when i replaced the heater core...
im sure i have those wires labeled and deciphered somwheres

Last edited by idanity; 10-01-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
did the swap in my 91 4 runner 3 slow. it supposedly has the key interlock solenoid (never drove it before I did the swap as it wasn't running so not realy sure) I didn't have to do anything with that. I guess when the shifter, transmission and everything else is unplugged it stays in the unlocked state. the only things i took the time to figure out so far were the 4wd light, the back up lights, and the nuetral start (clutch safety). let me know if u get the cruise figured out. maybe I'll get that fixed too.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
oh and you shouldn't have to ground anything out at the shifter to get it to start Unless something changed from 86 to 91 to 94. Both my 86 auto and 91 auto neutral start switch wires where in the wire cluster going down to the trans. Usually 2 larger guage wires in the same connector. (they were in different style connectors and different colors in both my trucks) they kind of stand out because of their size. just put a jumper in at those 2 pins and make sure its in neutral before u start it.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you're right and there is a solenoid that is actuated by the shift lever moving so it should have the ignition unlocked. As for tricking the computer into thinking it's in neutral, you're right. I still need to check and see which wires to actually fool with.