Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

lucas oil stabilizer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 09:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
do a search theres plenty of info on oil...if you like the bad advice above theres plenty more where that came from.

I wouldn't use lucas unless my engine was on its last legs, and I was trying to get a few more miles out of it before I had to rebuild it.

As stated above higher oil pressure isnt always a good thing. if you want higher oil pressure buy thicker oil (lucas is some thick stuff btw) as soon as the thicker oil gets to the point where its flowing it'll give you a higher pressure than a lighter weight oil right up until you get to the pressure that the oil pumps relief valve.

As I've said before dont use diesel oil. The major difference between diesel (CI) oil, and gas oil (SI) is the Total Base Number (TBN). Diesel oil is basic (as in acid vs base) because a byproduct of combusting fuels with high sulfur content (us diesel) are various acids. the idea of making the oil basic is to neutralize the acid from combustion. if you have a very acidic, or very basic ph to the oil it will cause metal parts within the engine to score. Basically diesel oil will stay basic until waaay too many miles past when you'd change the oil in a gas engine.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey there is pros and cons to everything. Nothing is cut and dry better than whatever. It all boils down to choice and preference. I personally have never had problems with Lucas. The only other thing I have ever tried is Dura Lube and that crap imo is crap. I was 16 when I had that unpleasent experience. Next thing I tried was Lucas and havent had a complint yet so that what i choose to use.

Im not sayin Lucas is better than Amsoil I am sinply sayin I have never tried Amsoil or synthetics or deisel oil cause I have always had good luck with Lucas and never seen a reason to stop using it.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Duelertoyota4x4
Hey there is pros and cons to everything. Nothing is cut and dry better than whatever. It all boils down to choice and preference. I personally have never had problems with Lucas. The only other thing I have ever tried is Dura Lube and that crap imo is crap. I was 16 when I had that unpleasent experience. Next thing I tried was Lucas and havent had a complint yet so that what i choose to use.

Im not sayin Lucas is better than Amsoil I am sinply sayin I have never tried Amsoil or synthetics or deisel oil cause I have always had good luck with Lucas and never seen a reason to stop using it.
Yeah i think someone posted here once duralube had some lawsuit against it.
Yes it is personal choice,the oil that works the best for me may not be the best for you. UOAs need to be taken to see if your oil is doig its job,and high pH readings are not good but you have to do a UOA to find those things out. If you get them on a regular interval you can keep up with whats going on inside your engine and possibly catch costly repairs before they even happen.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:25 PM

I use lucas oil additive in my chevys. helps keep the hydraulic lifters pumped up and eases the valve rattle on solid lifter motors. also stops some of the oil drain back after sitting for a few hours. Might put some in the toyota this time (dont like running Sea Foam and Lucas at the same time)
Old 09-28-2008, 01:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blackspyder
I use lucas oil additive in my chevys. helps keep the hydraulic lifters pumped up and eases the valve rattle on solid lifter motors. also stops some of the oil drain back after sitting for a few hours. Might put some in the toyota this time (dont like running Sea Foam and Lucas at the same time)
Check this out on Additives:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm
Old 09-28-2008, 01:22 PM
SR5

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i used to use until the price of jumped to like $6 a bottle
Old 09-28-2008, 02:43 PM

thanks for everyones opinions i decided to pass on the lucas just went with straight GTX
Old 09-28-2008, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by olharleyman
According to the mechanic that took the pan off they were in near perfect shape and there was no reason to change them. As for the mileage it was just getting broke in so it is CAT warranty protocol is to have them checked at 500,000 no need to rebuild for at least another 500,000.
that is great! I have also heard about a secondary oil filter that filters down to like 4 or 5 microns and will allow the oil to be used for longer oil change intervals and also allows the engine to last longer. The name is escaping me at the moment.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Alex 400
that is great! I have also heard about a secondary oil filter that filters down to like 4 or 5 microns and will allow the oil to be used for longer oil change intervals and also allows the engine to last longer. The name is escaping me at the moment.

Baldwin?