86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

lucas oil stabilizer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lucas oil stabilizer?

So im going to change my oil this weekend. and i my 22re has a slight piston slap. Ive read that adding a little lucas oil stabilizer may help with that? anyone use it?
Old 09-26-2008, 10:58 PM

I've stopped using Lucas. That and other engine oil treatments have been known to cause oil foaming, reducing the ability for adequate lubrication for your engine. It might upset the balance of the additives that are the engine oil has in it.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cwaters1184
So im going to change my oil this weekend. and i my 22re has a slight piston slap. Ive read that adding a little lucas oil stabilizer may help with that? anyone use it?
I use it every other oil change and it really makes the oil pressure stay higher longer and the oil loss is minimal as for helping with the slap I am not sure but it will not hurt that's for sure. I have 240,xxx miles and counting on a 3.0

Last edited by olharleyman; 09-26-2008 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:16 PM

I try not to screw with my oil. I try to use higher quality stuff the first time rather than dumping more additives in the oil. Oil is the life blood of the engine, why mess with it?
Old 09-27-2008, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Alex 400
I try not to screw with my oil. I try to use higher quality stuff the first time rather than dumping more additives in the oil. Oil is the life blood of the engine, why mess with it?
X2 Use a good quality oil and you dont have to spend more money on additives to make the oil better or worse. I know of a good oil I can also show you how to get it at my cost,my banner is on here also.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by olharleyman
I use it every other oil change and it really makes the oil pressure stay higher longer and the oil loss is minimal as for helping with the slap I am not sure but it will not hurt that's for sure. I have 240,xxx miles and counting on a 3.0
X2 on using Lucas. I love that stuff and yes I can absolutely tell a difference between using it and not using it.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:23 AM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
X3 I use it EVERY oil change ... and it works !
Old 09-27-2008, 07:37 AM

Lucas is actually highly recommended though..

much more than other brands such as STP. For anyone reading this, I tried oil treatments, supposedly to decrease friction and increase efficiency, however I'm not feeling/seeing it. Can anyone recommend anything? I just gave it a complete tune up, oil change and treatment, even took it in to see if the exhaust needed to be replaced, its running very sluggish.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:51 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
i started to use it, seems to work okay.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by slacker
X3 I use it EVERY oil change ... and it works !
You got any UOAs to back it up?
Higher oil pressure isnt always a good thing.
If you spend money on a quality oil why spend even more for junk additives to make it work?
Heres a good article. Its long but damn good, it is on oil not abrand but an underatanding of what it does and how it acts:
http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/faq...=haas_articles
Old 09-27-2008, 08:25 AM

if i was going to use something i would use lucas. they have a reputation for quality. I have used the fuel stabilizer and it works pretty well. But as for oils, I am a firm believer in Diesel grade oils. I ran Delo 400 for a while, I currently using Shell Synthetic Rotella. I have used mobil 1 but i noticed no more difference in oil pressure or how the engine ran then when i run the rotella or ran the Delo. And at 15 bucks a gallon, the Synthetic Rotella is a hell of a deal. I think the dello is any where from 9-13 bucks a gallon.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:37 AM

Uh oh...here we go.

I'll just say this though - AMSoil may or may not be a good product - I'm just weary of listening to multi-level marketers pitching their product.

I've had people tell me I'd save $400 a year on laundry soap, that the internet has made it easy to sell products online and one 22 year old said she was going to retire at 30 and didn't know what to do with the rest of her life....
Old 09-27-2008, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dbcx
You got any UOAs to back it up?
Higher oil pressure isnt always a good thing.
If you spend money on a quality oil why spend even more for junk additives to make it work?
Heres a good article. Its long but damn good, it is on oil not abrand but an underatanding of what it does and how it acts:
http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/faq...=haas_articles
The only proof I have is that I ran 2 gallons in with 8 gallons of ROTELLA in my CATERPILLER 3406 e 600HP for 520,000 miles and when I went to get the main bearings done at the CAT recommended 500,000 the CAT mechanic stated that the Lucas every 10,000 miles was the best investment for helping the motor last and reducing the friction causing the main bearings to stay oil coated and slippery not wearing as fast as they would have without it.
They also recommend it from the PETERBILT dealership when buying a new truck stating that it helps with the cooling and wearing of the engine parts while not affecting the CAT warranty
Old 09-27-2008, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by olharleyman
The only proof I have is that I ran 2 gallons in with 8 gallons of ROTELLA in my CATERPILLER 3406 e 600HP for 520,000 miles and when I went to get the main bearings done at the CAT recommended 500,000 the CAT mechanic stated that the Lucas every 10,000 miles was the best investment for helping the motor last and reducing the friction causing the main bearings to stay oil coated and slippery not wearing as fast as they would have without it.
They also recommend it from the PETERBILT dealership when buying a new truck stating that it helps with the cooling and wearing of the engine parts while not affecting the CAT warranty
did they really need to be replaced or were they still in good shape? I mean since the motor was torn down you would do them anyway.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:07 PM

I have used Lucas products most of my life. And I have never had a problem or complaint about the stuff.

My fiancee had a 2001 Chevy Venture when we first got together well to make a long story short she had no idea of preventive maintence transmission services. So soon after we got together the tranny started acting up, so i started looking for a replacent trans or a different vehicial. On our way home from a test drive the van stopped moving while climbing a hill. I changed the fluid/filter and added the Lucas trans fix and I got 3 more months of time out of it. Im not sayin that stuff "permantly fixed" my problem, but it buy me enuff time to to get a new vehical.

And when i added the stuff I did it in a futile attempt just to get it home I never thought it would get me 3 months.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Alex 400
did they really need to be replaced or were they still in good shape? I mean since the motor was torn down you would do them anyway.
According to the mechanic that took the pan off they were in near perfect shape and there was no reason to change them. As for the mileage it was just getting broke in so it is CAT warranty protocol is to have them checked at 500,000 no need to rebuild for at least another 500,000.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:22 PM

I did a test on lucas oil to see how it was for cold weather. I stuck one of the lucas displays that are in part stores with the gears outside on a real cold day and let it sit for a few hours. The side with the oil turned fine, the side with the lucas was like wheel bearing grease. Great for cars that have worn rings or leaking oil but 20/50 oil seems to do the same thing. My 2 cents
Old 09-27-2008, 07:35 PM

Repost

I used lucas faithfully on 3 vehicles till I got chewed out on pirate and was given this site

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

never used it again
Old 09-27-2008, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by DeepSeaSnake
I used lucas faithfully on 3 vehicles till I got chewed out on pirate and was given this site

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

never used it again
hahaha, I was playing with a display in a parts store the other day and got the same result

the one with the lucus trapped a BUNCH of air bubbles, and the plane oil one hardy made any at all! and this was on Lucas's own display! granted, I cannot spin that little handle they put on there very fast, but I would imagine the faster you spun it, the worse it would get...

When I first picked my 91 up, it had about 270k on the original 22re; never rebuilt, just general stuff like TC, tune-ups, yada yada yada...

There was a little tap and about a quart burnt every oil change. On the 3rd oil change that I did to the truck, I put in a ring-conditioner additive (I think it was made by Bar's; some 2 part stuff; REALLY thick stuff) and started using Castrol 10w30 High Milage. I have since religously kept track of mileage and change it about every 2750 miles, or when it starts to break down or darken, and use the same oil with no other additives. Now she burns maybe 1/8 a quart between oil changes, and she makes no valve noise what-so-ever.

She's rolling over 290k now, and I'm going to stick with my lube plans as the truck seems to love it!

Don't get me wrong, Lucas does have quite the rep. I personally like their fuel cleaner and have used it many a times. I'm just not a big fan of the oil stablizer. I've used it before (not on my Yota), so it's not one of those "oh well you've never tried it" things. I put it in my 2000 Mustang once. Didn't see any harm done, but didn't really see anything at all change to be honest...

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 09-27-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by 22mr2
I did a test on lucas oil to see how it was for cold weather. I stuck one of the lucas displays that are in part stores with the gears outside on a real cold day and let it sit for a few hours. The side with the oil turned fine, the side with the lucas was like wheel bearing grease. Great for cars that have worn rings or leaking oil but 20/50 oil seems to do the same thing. My 2 cents
Exactly it is to thick to flow and you want good flow at startup the most crutial time. If it stays hot like in a road tractor it may do ok they rarley shut off.You dont want your passenger car to heat that thick oil every morning. You can see on the counter displays how thick it is of course it will stick but it wont flow.
We run Amsoil in our race cars so i see how it holds up on engines that are hammered every weekend,and severe gear lube with zero failures.
I dont talk bad of lucas because i sell Amsoil, its from visuals and experience from being around people that do and swear to never use it again.
I sell Amsoil cause ive used it forever from raceboats,racecars , motorcycles lawnmowers and hell even my weedeaters. I became a dealer to get it cheaper and if i can make a few extra bucks fine if not fine. They dont push you to sell it, i dont have to buy or sell anything to stay dealer just $35 a year.
We all know these oil topics get out of hand and all over the place Im just letting people that dont know that there is other stuff out there that the big money backed, TV sponsored oils.

Quick Reply: lucas oil stabilizer?