Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Lower radiator hose leaking, please help.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lower radiator hose leaking, please help.

Well this is my first post here, im replacing my door panels and noticed quite a bit of fluid on the garage floor. It looks to be my lower radiator hose is loose, im wondering is I should remove/replace it, or if it just needs to be wiggled and tightened. AND, if it does need to be removed, what is the process.

Please forgive any and all stupid things i may have written, im new to truck work and this site, Please and Thankyou!

Lower radiator hose leaking, please help.-img_1038.jpg
Lower radiator hose leaking, please help.-img_1037.jpg
Lower radiator hose leaking, please help.-img_1034.jpg

And any suggestions on best way to then clean it all up down there afterwards? Pressure washer?
Old 12-01-2013, 07:18 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Looks almost like your upper hose is leaking too. On my 81 there is also a third hose, shorter, on the lower d/s.
you can loosen the hose clamps and try wiggling them closer but probably looking at replacement.
Clean it by wiping it with a rag..
Old 12-01-2013, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by dropzone
Looks almost like your upper hose is leaking too. On my 81 there is also a third hose, shorter, on the lower d/s.
you can loosen the hose clamps and try wiggling them closer but probably looking at replacement.
Clean it by wiping it with a rag..
Thanks man i appreciate it! Okay ill pull em off and replace them all, will i need an oil pan to catch all the fluid or does it stay inside the radiator mostly during removal?
Old 12-01-2013, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they look bad (ends are cracked, bulges, anything that doesn't look normal) you should go ahead and replace them.

Also, make sure you scrub the area where the spill is with soap and water. Wash it down real good when you clean up. If there's any left on the floor and you have pets they'll want to lick the floor. They like the sweet taste of the coolant, but it'll kill them or at least make them sick. They're kinda stupid that way.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:16 AM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
the lower hose being removed will drain most of the radiator. You'd want to catch it. I'd use a clean short bucket or tub to catch it for possible re-use if in good shape.

And, hoses are cheap, if you even slightly suspect it's not good, change it.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Heres what you do.

Go to parts store....get the new hoses you need. Bring them home. Compare them to the hoses on the truck now. Before you commit.... make sure hoses appear to be similair size and shape.

Get a bucket....oil drain pan....something...to slide underneath the truck. Under where the hoses are. I use a CLEAN drain pan. Really clean. Thay way you can just resuse coolant you drained.....allthough replacing it with new is never a bad idea. No need to waste good coolant though. Good idea to wear rubber gloves...antifreeze is poison.

Take off your radiator cap. (new one....what the heck? hows it look?) Open drain valve at bottom of radiator. Callled a petcock. Drain her out. Remove hoses. Take a little vasaline and coat inside kips of new hoses to ease them slipping on. Tighten up the clamps. Any of them look janky....replace. Leave clamps pointed to make them easy to tighten or remove next time.

You got em all on yet? Close that drain. Fill her back up. 50/50 water and coolant....or take the sissy way with premixed.

Fill it up. Start it up....let it run with cap off till it warms up. Top it off. Helps to have front end of truck up in the air a bit to get the cap of radiator the highest point so air can burp out....put the cap on once you are sure its full. Take it for a short ride. Once home...let it sit and cool down for a few hours....go check coolant....keep an eye on it for a few days till you are sure coolant level is stable.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:04 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by HighLux
.... make sure hoses appear to be similair size and shape...
That doesn't look like a stock hose (note how crooked-looking the cut is on the inboard end). Plus worm-gear hose clamps are not stock, so that hose has probably been replaced. So just make sure the new hoses look like they will fit correctly, even if a little different than the existing hose. I would NOT recommend using a corrugated "universal" hose. Unless you're desperate.

The worm-gear clamps are probably better than the stock spring-clamps, but they don't last forever and are pretty cheap. Consider replacing them when you pick up the new hoses.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by HighLux
Heres what you do.

Go to parts store....get the new hoses you need. Bring them home. Compare them to the hoses on the truck now. Before you commit.... make sure hoses appear to be similair size and shape.

Get a bucket....oil drain pan....something...to slide underneath the truck. Under where the hoses are. I use a CLEAN drain pan. Really clean. Thay way you can just resuse coolant you drained.....allthough replacing it with new is never a bad idea. No need to waste good coolant though. Good idea to wear rubber gloves...antifreeze is poison.

Take off your radiator cap. (new one....what the heck? hows it look?) Open drain valve at bottom of radiator. Callled a petcock. Drain her out. Remove hoses. Take a little vasaline and coat inside kips of new hoses to ease them slipping on. Tighten up the clamps. Any of them look janky....replace. Leave clamps pointed to make them easy to tighten or remove next time.

You got em all on yet? Close that drain. Fill her back up. 50/50 water and coolant....or take the sissy way with premixed.

Fill it up. Start it up....let it run with cap off till it warms up. Top it off. Helps to have front end of truck up in the air a bit to get the cap of radiator the highest point so air can burp out....put the cap on once you are sure its full. Take it for a short ride. Once home...let it sit and cool down for a few hours....go check coolant....keep an eye on it for a few days till you are sure coolant level is stable.

Hey thank you very much friend! That was incredibly detailed and exactly what i wanted to see!
That was the process i was going to go for, but you gave me so many helpful tips i wouldn't have ever thought of till it was too late! again thank you!
Old 12-02-2013, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
That doesn't look like a stock hose (note how crooked-looking the cut is on the inboard end). Plus worm-gear hose clamps are not stock, so that hose has probably been replaced. So just make sure the new hoses look like they will fit correctly, even if a little different than the existing hose. I would NOT recommend using a corrugated "universal" hose. Unless you're desperate.

The worm-gear clamps are probably better than the stock spring-clamps, but they don't last forever and are pretty cheap. Consider replacing them when you pick up the new hoses.
Yes the guy i bought this from did a whole lot of shady work, but i'm sure i could get in line for that old story!
Thank you! i'm no good at spotting stock!
Old 12-03-2013, 03:55 PM

Hey thanks again guys! all three hoses replaced and no more leaks! now i just need to figure out where its leaking oil :S
Old 12-03-2013, 04:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Let it be known on this day Highlux helped a person without confusing anyone or making an idiot out of himself....lol.

Your welcome. I owe this site alot. Learned a ton from so many talented car guys.
Start a build thread and discuss Toyotas obsessively with us for years.