Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Long Travel Parts

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long Travel Parts

I know im going to get flamed (and told that i should have searched) for posting this. But i have searched and found a little of what i want.

Im getting ready to build an Lt IFS 1987 4x4 Pickup. Before i start to buy parts i wanted to know what all i should buy to start out with. Ive decieded to go with either a JD Fab T-1 kit or a TC Gen 2

And yes im sure i want long travel so please dont turn this into a IFS vs. SAS battle haha.

Last edited by bansheemanboy; 07-09-2007 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:07 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ssible-111014/

some good info in that thread htere. hopefully some of those guys will see this thread.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, you seem to know what you should buy.

Here is what you MUST buy for either kit to make the truck work w 4 wheel drive:

LT KIT
T100 AXLES
Shockhoops
Coilovers.

While not entirely nessesary, a steering upgrade, in my opinion, is crucial. The steering on early IFS truck is horrid. It is pricey, but TC makes a nice kit, and you'll never bend or break steering again. You'd have a nearly bulletproof front end at that point.

To make the truck run well, you will likely want to spring under the rear if you intend to keep leaf springs. This will give you better stability for jumping and help prevent spring and axle problems.

In addition, a wider rear axle is nice, but not nessesary.

SAW and FOX make nice CO's.

If you are going to buy it, get it done nice.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you do upgrade your steering, you will want to gussett the steering arms. The little piece that comes off of your spindle and connectes to the tie rod or heim. The nicests way to do it is what is called double shear. The heim is supported from the top and the bottom, not just the bottom.

This is one thing I have not done, but I don't beat mine too hard. However mine does have extra gusseting. Regardless, it's something to consider.

A rear frame truss is critical. I would not use an IFS truck without one. Sonoran steel makes a cool one and they are in the process of making a build list...so go get on that!

I believe your torsion sockets and adjusters on your 87 are the old style. If you plan to keep torsions, you may want to upgrade to the newer style, and as for the aarm torsion socket, I believe you can upgrade to v6 sockets for slightly thicker bars.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Contributing Member

It seems from the site that both kits listed are designed for Coilovers. I could be wrong there.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the info. Im taking my time in making sure i get just what i want since the front end if pretty important haha.

Deathrunner i know you run the T-1 kit. How do you like it? And does anyone else use the TC Gen 2?
Old 07-10-2007, 10:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See the ttora list for good LT info.
Much of it is Taco based, but there are some early IFS LT on there as well.

The big problem with LT is that you can build a front IFS that can out drive the rear suspension and the frame (i.e. if you intend to "jump" the truck and dont do the upgrades of the rear suspension and the full cage you will likely bend the frame and "endo" the truck.... or so the TTORA guys claim).

That being said - if you drive like a 40year old married guy with kids and a mortgage, you'll be fine...
Old 07-10-2007, 10:58 AM

AxleIke, The T-1 kit allows the use of torsions.

I have seen both kits up close and they are both nice.

There are distinct advantages to both.

Chaos can double shock. Very cool if you plan to go real fast.
Chaos is Probably a touch lighter.

The JD kit allows you to use torsions, which is nice if you want to build in steps.
The JD kit has much beefier lower arms, but who has ever seen a chaos arm buckle?
If you really wanted to double shock a JD kit, I imagine it could be done. Especially if you ditch 4x4.

I like the kit. It's gotten me everywhere I want to go. If I did tougher trails, a solid axle would probably be better. But, it will get you pretty far. Torsions or coilovers with coils over 500# are your best bet for speed. I ran a lighter coil, so I'm not blasting through the whoops like your average flat billed broham.

I built mine primarily as a multi-use vehicle and more than anything to get flamed on message boards.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:01 AM

ewong

I making sure in my savings that im am clearing enough money that i will also do a Deaver 62 package or something like that. Most of my driving will be at Glamis Dunes and that other half will be fairly flat AZ desert trails.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by ewong
See the ttora list for good LT info.
Much of it is Taco based, but there are some early IFS LT on there as well.

The big problem with LT is that you can build a front IFS that can out drive the rear suspension and the frame (i.e. if you intend to "jump" the truck and dont do the upgrades of the rear suspension and the full cage you will likely bend the frame and "endo" the truck.... or so the TTORA guys claim).

That being said - if you drive like a 40year old married guy with kids and a mortgage, you'll be fine...
Good point. Front suspension is only half the equation. Typically you want more travel in the rear than the front. The idea is that you want to keep the rear on the ground to keep the power constant. The only point of keeping the front on the ground is steering....who needs that crap?

I have 12 in front and about 15 in the rear.

Before I redid teh rear end, it was like 12 and 7......needless to say it bucked like a cowboy riding a jackhammer.

For anything to work well, you reallyt need to plan on a whoel system.

63" chevy springs are a good inexpensive option for the rear. Deaver makes great springs as well.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:10 AM

Ive had the privilege of driving everything from a locked sfa to a lt tacoma. And on your analogy of a cowboy n jackhammer is very dead on when someone forgets that the rear is also an important part of the truck haha

im just planning on to somewhat build in steps so most likley ill go with the T-1 kit
Old 07-10-2007, 11:18 AM

SAS!!
Old 07-10-2007, 07:32 PM

i would SAS for sure if i crawed

but an SAS system atleat in my price range would not perform as well in the dunes
Old 07-17-2007, 10:45 PM

Alrite ive finally decieded on a JD T-1 kit. But i have a few quick questions

can i run a noncoilover shock till i find coilovers?

and if so any recommendations?
Old 07-18-2007, 06:33 AM
Contributing Member

fox makes nice units. For desert running i'd get remote resevoir to handle the heat.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:49 AM

I chose Sway away racerunner shocks because I planned to build in stages.

If they are the same as when I bought in 2005, all the shocks come threaded for a coilover nut.

I ran the shocks with torsions for a year or so, then I ordered thier nut kit and a coil from Eibach. Racerunner is the only company that does that as far as I know.

Plus, I like to pretend the threads help to dissapate heat like a heat sink. But, I also pretend that I have a turbo boost when I turn off my A/C and that my high beam momentary switch activates lazers that disintegrate jerkoffs that cut me off.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:18 AM

Alrite what size would you guys recommend?

deathrunner so you bought saw rr's and made them coilover?

Last edited by bansheemanboy; 07-18-2007 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:44 AM

2.5"x8" fit nicely. Some guys run 10" length, but you won't use the extra travel, it is supposedly just for better cooling.

Yeah, I just checked the site (swayaway.com) and they still come threaded.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:29 AM

sweet sounds good

what brand of shock hoops did you use?
Old 07-18-2007, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by deathrunner
Plus, I like to pretend the threads help to dissapate heat like a heat sink. But, I also pretend that I have a turbo boost when I turn off my A/C and that my high beam momentary switch activates lazers that disintegrate jerkoffs that cut me off.

Quick Reply: Long Travel Parts