Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lockright locker install into V6 rear-write-up with pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zlathim
Fail.

Otherwise, good write up.

Leave the poor dead horse alone already. My god....
Old 05-07-2009, 11:12 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by yakamoto1988
After reading this write up, I am pretty certian I want to put in a locker in my truck. Question though, I have a 2wd Pickup 4 banger 22r. I want to put on 31 inch tires, but i need to change the gearing. Also it does seem like it would be easier to put a locker in the v6 third member. Would I be able to swap in the V6 third member to replace my 2wd third member. I want the 4.56 gearing to gain back power and better idle speed on the trails.
you wont torque your rear end nearly enough to require a V6 dif... plus, i think yours might be a 7.5"...

do some research and search on the forums here and you will find numerous VIN # decoders which will tell you what your truck came equipped with... then order your locker and pop it in... if you want it regeared, id send it to ZUK at www.gearinstalls.com... hes a great guy to work with and hes quick...
Old 05-08-2009, 03:48 AM

When you say you don't mind the noise it makes; How loud are we talking here? A little stereo volume and you don't hear it? A lot of volume? Super loud? Just curious.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Gravehunter
When you say you don't mind the noise it makes; How loud are we talking here? A little stereo volume and you don't hear it? A lot of volume? Super loud? Just curious.

If my windows are up I really can't hear it over the motor. I'm sure people outside the vehicle can hear it, but that's ok. There have been a few loud BANG's here and there that scared the crap out of me, but nothing too crazy.

Also, the noise is only when you're turning. A slight turn will get you a click or two, a tight turn will get you several clicks. Going straight down the road you can't hear anything.

Last edited by Justinlhc; 05-08-2009 at 05:12 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:26 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i have a lockright in the rear of my 81.... the noise isnt bad... you'll get a ratching click click click as you go around corners and it'll make all kinds of fun noises if you dont put the clutch in quickly pulling into parking spots.... its kinda fun to watch the faces people make when i pull into parking spots... i've had a couple people tell me my rear end about to blow... i just laugh and tell them naw, its just the locker

as far as jackstands go... watch harbor freight.. these are on sale all the time. i've picked them up as low as 26 bucks if i remember correctly. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38847 they extend tall enough for my sas'ed rig,
Old 05-08-2009, 10:13 AM

ok... was just trying to get an idea of how loud it was. No big deal then.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tofer
its kinda fun to watch the faces people make when i pull into parking spots... i've had a couple people tell me my rear end about to blow... i just laugh and tell them naw, its just the locker

as far as jackstands go... watch harbor freight.. these are on sale all the time. i've picked them up as low as 26 bucks if i remember correctly. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38847 they extend tall enough for my sas'ed rig,

lol I've had the same thing in parking lots. People are always looking to figure out what that noise is. I'm sure some people think my POS is falling apart, but I don't care.

I was hunting on Craigslist and picked up a set of almost new Snap-on jack stands for $35 a few weeks ago. It's insane what retail is on those things just because it says "Snap-on" on the side.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:04 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
steppin up in the world of vehicle-holder-uppers, eh?
nice find on the jackstands...
Old 05-08-2009, 05:25 PM

Yeah, people be hatin on my bottlejack/scissorjack/brick combo.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Justinlhc
Yeah, people be hatin on my bottlejack/scissorjack/brick combo.

You can do what you want, I just feel bad for the firefighters or paramedics who'll have to clean up your pancake-flat body.

My buddy's a volunteer firefighter and he's got some stories that scared me onto jackstands permanently.

Also, while we're nitpicking - use enough RTV there? haha. Probably would have been a good idea to clean it off the threads of those studs before torquing the nuts. Good install though.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:02 AM

I've seen more jackstands FAIL than homemade stuff in 25 years. I've had a brand new jackstand fail on me. So it's getting old now. The whole jackstand thing is beyond a dead horse, why continue to ruin a damn good write up, on a dead horse?!!?

Justin, once again, great write up dude.

Last edited by a4runnerfreak; 05-10-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tofer
i have a lockright in the rear of my 81.... the noise isnt bad... you'll get a ratching click click click as you go around corners and it'll make all kinds of fun noises if you dont put the clutch in quickly pulling into parking spots.... its kinda fun to watch the faces people make when i pull into parking spots... i've had a couple people tell me my rear end about to blow... i just laugh and tell them naw, its just the locker

I had one guy come up to me and tell me it sounded like my u-joints were gonna fall out
Old 05-10-2009, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by a4runnerfreak
I've seen more jackstands FAIL than homemade stuff in 25 years. I've had a brand new jackstand fail on me. So it's getting old now. The whole jackstand thing is beyond a dead horse, why continue to ruin a damn good write up, on a dead horse?!!?

Justin, once again, great write up dude.
x100

This is an amazing write up. But it's now cluttered with everyone telling the poor guy to get jack stands. Should he have used jack stands? Yes. But he has already posted that he has since bought a set. Leave the poor guy, and his thread, alone already!!
Old 05-10-2009, 02:36 PM

So when you take off the adjusting nut, do you have to count the number of turns it took to take off too? Or how do you know you have it lined up EXACTLY where it was before? How did you know to only go one turn after installing the caps?
Old 05-10-2009, 03:17 PM

Everybody is a critic.

Not sure how I was going to get pancaked unless I somehow fit my entire body under the brake drum or the pumpkin? I suppose I could have squished a finger or something if it fell and if I were holding on directly under the drum or the pumpkin? Or maybe if it fell and the axle housing broke into pieces and the coils snapped and allowed the body to drop all the way to the ground? Sounds possible to me.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by affmondo22
So when you take off the adjusting nut, do you have to count the number of turns it took to take off too? Or how do you know you have it lined up EXACTLY where it was before? How did you know to only go one turn after installing the caps?

I did count the turns to remove them, but I later found out that you don't really have to. I think you can only get like 3-4 turns out of them, but when you put everything back together you just drop the adjuster nuts DOWN into the threads with the bearing caps removed, then torque the caps down, then tighten adjuster nuts to where they need to be. The instructions that come with the kit are pretty clear as to how to do it. It might sound complicated, but I'm probably just not explaining it good enough. I'm more of a hands on kinda guy so I have to actually do it to learn how.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Justinlhc
I did count the turns to remove them, but I later found out that you don't really have to. I think you can only get like 3-4 turns out of them, but when you put everything back together you just drop the adjuster nuts DOWN into the threads with the bearing caps removed, then torque the caps down, then tighten adjuster nuts to where they need to be. The instructions that come with the kit are pretty clear as to how to do it. It might sound complicated, but I'm probably just not explaining it good enough. I'm more of a hands on kinda guy so I have to actually do it to learn how.
But it is spelled out in the directions that come with it?
Old 05-11-2009, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by affmondo22
But it is spelled out in the directions that come with it?
Yeah, it's actually really easy. Basically you just slide the adjusters down exactly how they were positioned, put the bearing caps on, then tighten the adjuster OPPOSITE of the ring gear one full turn tighter and you're golden.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:38 PM

so would the same ones work for my 91 4runner v6?

and where did you buy them and howmuch?

Last edited by 08YOTATACO.WA; 12-07-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:58 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
yes. summit has them for a good price.

Quick Reply: Lockright locker install into V6 rear-write-up with pics