Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

LockRight Locker In Front Axle

Old 09-21-2008, 06:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
LockRight Locker In Front Axle

I want to put a locker in the front axle of my 86 4Runner (sas has been already done), i would like to get an ARB but there just to expensive, so i was thinking of going with a LockRight, they seem to hold up well and cost alot less than most other lockers on the market. I don`t do any extreme wheeling so im thinking it should hold up just fine. Im looking for opinions from anyone that has one and how you like it or don`t like it. the best price ive been able to find a LockRight for is about 255.00 and a ARB would be over a thousand dollars by the time you got everything needed to install it.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:38 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Daily driver. NO.

Trail Rig. Sure, but I think Lockrights suck anyway.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
If you spend time on hard surfaces and like to turn easily.. Dont.

Lockrights are best in the rear end, LSD in the front. If you really wheel it hard, selectable all the way..

So, I would avoid the lockright in the front, but thats my opinion from the information I have gathered over the years..

P.s It doesnt matter if its a DD or trail rig, once you unlock your hubs its like it was stock..
Old 09-21-2008, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Daily driver. NO.

Trail Rig. Sure, but I think Lockrights suck anyway.

I know its not the best locker out there, but why wouldn`t it be good for a daily driver ?, if your hubs arn`t locked wouldn`t it be like not having a locker in the front at all ?, i wouldn`t be using my truck as a daily driver, but im wondering why not ?.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:03 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
My front has a detroit, bought it that way. From what I've read Aussies are suppose to have a smooother action than lockrite (got one of those too). I plan on running an Aussie up front of mine when I SAS, like you, ARB is just to rich for my blood.

Look up and compare the Aussie to the others.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It will be fine if you have manual locking hubs, because none of it is turning while your going down the road. I also like the Aussie Locker better...I don't know if they make them for your axel or not, but their warranty is much better. The only bad thing about them up front is that it makes it a bit harder to turn, mainly making your turn radius greater. The locker up front is well worth the small sacrifice. Just make sure you do your homework and read up on it before you buy.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It will be fine on dry pavement.

Snow or ice will be quite dicey and NOT recommended.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by red97taco
It will be fine if you have manual locking hubs, because none of it is turning while your going down the road. I also like the Aussie Locker better...I don't know if they make them for your axel or not, but their warranty is much better. The only bad thing about them up front is that it makes it a bit harder to turn, mainly making your turn radius greater. The locker up front is well worth the small sacrifice. Just make sure you do your homework and read up on it before you buy.
I just did a search on the aussie locker, and i think i will go with it instead of the lockright. from everything ive read so far the aussie locker will have no effect on handling if your driving on the streets, and there is no way that it can if the hubs are unlocked, so the only time your turning radius would be effected is if the hubs are locked.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by myyota
I just did a search on the aussie locker, and i think i will go with it instead of the lockright. from everything ive read so far the aussie locker will have no effect on handling if your driving on the streets, and there is no way that it can if the hubs are unlocked, so the only time your turning radius would be effected is if the hubs are locked.
I have an Aussie in the front... has worked very well so far. Locking the front end has made a much greater improvement in crawling performance than I initially expected.

You are right about the hubs, unlocked hubs = no handling change.

But do keep in mind that if you lock them for snow driving I believe your handling will suffer. I don't have that issue in my part of AZ, but if I lived in CO I don't think I'd care much for the Aussie in the front.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what? we know there is soooo much snow sown there in az, you mean to tell us you haven't tested it out elvolta? lol

(noob question coming)

Edit: deleting my noob question in order to not look like a noob! lol

Last edited by 904_runner; 09-21-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 904_runner
what? we know there is soooo much snow sown there in az, you mean to tell us you haven't tested it out elvolta? lol
Flagstaff... on occasion one might be surprised at the amount of white stuff. But here in Scottsdale, the best snow testing I have been able to do is driving through a coolers ice that has just been dumped.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:47 PM

ah your one of those rich mofo's in scottsdale! tisk tisk LOL

last time i was out there, me and my dad went to the scottsdale gun club and shot some mp5's it was great, and thats when i saw your 4runner on the way home on the freeway!
Old 09-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Contributing Member

ah your one of those rich mofo's in Scottsdale! tisk tisk LOL
Yup... my 4Runner just blends right in. Buffed the body a little more this past weekend.

Actually, Scottsdale is about as varied in income as AZ is in terrain.

Sorry to get off topic Myyota..... but the pic does show what a front locker will help you do (the rocks, not the bling )
Old 09-21-2008, 11:01 PM

Bling!!!!!!!!

i like the lines you have, the black wire and the blue.

and yes its the locker, nothing to do with the sas!

lol idk, my old neighbor has an 87 4rnr with detroits front and rear and he said he never had a problem in the snow.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

(noob question coming)

what about just having one hub locked for snow driving? Would that work? Ive heard someone say thats what people do, but i have my doubts
Search this one, the idea has come up before. Apparently, the one hub locked, the truck pulls to the side. That said, people also said my Aussie locker would cause "locker lane changes" where the locker causes the truck to jump to one side, I've never experienced anything like that, so perhaps the locking-one-hub-only is overblown as well.

An interesting idea with regards to this is to wire in a switch to manually control the ADD and create a bastardized selectable locker. Not sure how safe the 3wd would be one slick surfaces at street speeds, but I can see it working for a trail rig.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:56 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by AxleIke
It will be fine on dry pavement.

Snow or ice will be quite dicey and NOT recommended.
I've driven mine in the ice and snow. Yep dicey, I'd still recommend it. You just got to slow down, take youtime, and enjoy the winter wonderland

Anxiously awaiting snow, ice, sledding, wheeling, and winching
Old 09-22-2008, 07:57 PM

I was talking to my cousin tonight, he is a hard core wheeler and knows a hell of alot about how to set up a toyota, anyway, i was asking his opinion on the lockright and on the aussie locker, and he said not to get either one, he said a detroit tru trac would be a better choice over the other two. anyone here running a tru trac in there truck or 4runner ?, im looking for opinions on this.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:37 PM

^bump^
Old 09-23-2008, 04:55 PM

i dont think they make the tru trac for the toyota's I also have Aussies front and rear they are awesome only downside is turning radius will locked and in 4wd, out of 4wd the locker has no affect on handeling. i also drive in to snow a lot, as last winter i worked at a ski resort. if your on ice the only thing that can help you is chains or studs to break the ice.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by 88wildrunner
i dont think they make the tru trac for the toyota's I also have Aussies front and rear they are awesome only downside is turning radius will locked and in 4wd, out of 4wd the locker has no affect on handeling. i also drive in to snow a lot, as last winter i worked at a ski resort. if your on ice the only thing that can help you is chains or studs to break the ice.
The do make a tru trac for toyota 8'' difs, i have a solid front axle in my 86 4Runner, so it will work. this place has them www.casanovaspeedshack.com , they also have them for the cheapest price ive been able to find

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LockRight Locker In Front Axle