Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Lock Cylinder Question

Old 02-05-2008, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lock Cylinder Question

92 4runner 3.0 SR5- My rear window does not work with key, nor does the passenger door, and once in a while the driver's side door does not work with key either. I am thinking of just replacing all the cylinders. My question is this: I have power locks, can I just buy cylinders or do they have to be cylinders from a 4runner that had power locks?

Thanks, and if you know anyone parting out their 4runner, I am looking to by all the locks and even the ignition.

Thank you
Old 02-05-2008, 07:42 AM

humm you prob have the vallet key if there is such a thing for the 4runners.
I would just have a lock smith make you up another one.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:29 AM

No valet key, I have one key that came with it and copies I made of those. I may just take the locks out and take to a locksmith to be rekeyed. We'll see, it is my only vehicle so I can't wait for a locksmith to do work. I figured it would be easier to just buy a new set. But wondered if I needed to make sure they were for power locks, or if any cylinders from a 3.0 4runner would work. That's basically all I need to know. I will try to use the spray inside first too and see what that does.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Im pretty sure the cylinder is no different from manual/auto locks. Just grab the locks and have them re-keyed to your current key. Thats what I did, I got my lock out of a 4runner.

Last edited by Jay351; 02-05-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:44 PM

I have a '97 4Runner Limited - I want to change door lock and already have new lock cylinder. I removed door panel and was trying to remove door handle w/cylinder lock attached through access. Am having trouble disconnecting door cylinder lock rod (w/power locks/windows) - is there a trick to it? Also, how do you actually remove cylinder from handle once its free from truck? Thanks!
Old 01-28-2013, 05:27 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey1
I have a '97 4Runner Limited - I want to change door lock and already have new lock cylinder. I removed door panel and was trying to remove door handle w/cylinder lock attached through access. Am having trouble disconnecting door cylinder lock rod (w/power locks/windows) - is there a trick to it? Also, how do you actually remove cylinder from handle once its free from truck? Thanks!
Rotate the plastic clip, and the the rod will pull out of the plastic leaving it in the connection. Like the interior door handles, which you should be able to get eyes on to give you an idea of how it works.

Locks have a clip on the back you just slide out. Or they are threaded and spin out once the bars/rods are released.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:12 PM

Thanks CO_94_PU - that is very helpful! New question though - and I feel like a dope for even having to ask. I was trying to acquaint myself with the new lock cylinder and pressed in that button on the bottom - the one you press when you want to release the lock and remove it. I then turned the key back and forth and observed how it acted - though maybe not as carefully as I should have. Seemed like when I first turned the key to right (towards "start" position AND before pressing that button the first time) that it sprung back when I released the key. Isn't that how it is supposed to work - it springs back to "on" when you release the key? if so, what might I have done to make it just turn loosely from "Lock" through to "start?" Did pressing that button in and turning key without it being installed harm the lock any? How can I get it back to the way it is supposed to work so that I can properly install it tomorrow and have it work correctly? Thank you again!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:31 PM

Thanks CO_94_PU - that is very helpful! New question though - and I feel like a dope for even having to ask. I was trying to acquaint myself with the new lock cylinder and pressed in that button on the bottom - the one you press when you want to release the lock and remove it. I then turned the key back and forth and observed how it acted - though maybe not as carefully as I should have. Seemed like when I first turned the key to right (towards "start" position AND before pressing that button the first time) that it sprung back when I released the key. Isn't that how it is supposed to work - it springs back to "on" when you release the key? if so, what might I have done to make it just turn loosely from "Lock" through to "start?" Did pressing that button in and turning key without it being installed harm the lock any? How can I get it back to the way it is supposed to work so that I can properly install it tomorrow and have it work correctly? Thank you again!
Err your talking about an igniton this time right.. Not sure. Might have pressed the pin in too far and it popped off it's spring. Or over rotated and it jamed, or broke the spring.

Can you post a picture?
Old 01-28-2013, 07:01 PM

Here are the pics requested. I think it looks pretty normal from outside - the slot on back - which way should it be when trying to insert into 4Runner? Wondering if it will fix itself with insertion? unfortunately, no directions came with lock - and no warnings of what not to do. is there someone I can call and ask (if you do not know the answer, that is!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:01 PM

not sure why my picks in album are not showing up -= any ideas?
Old 01-28-2013, 07:02 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/album.php?albumid=5184
Old 01-28-2013, 07:02 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/members/mic...nlockbotm2.jpg
Old 01-28-2013, 07:52 PM

not sure why my picks in album are not showing up -= any ideas?
Under the picture is has a "Picture URL" and "BB code" you just copy and paste the bb code part into a message and it inlines it automagicly.

Now back on topic..

Ok first I'm pretty sure the return spring for going from start to on/run is part of the ignition switch it's self, not the tumbler assembly.

If you broke it, and If you can't fix it.. The lock smith can take that clip off the back in the first(?) picture and put it back the way it's supposed to go.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:51 PM

Thanks! I did not alter the cylinder itself. Other than turning the key and pressing in that button, I have not done anything else that might have messed it up. So when you say "tumbler assembly," do you mean what is in the picture? and by ignition switch, you mean the part that this "tumbler' goes into? Correct?