Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

listen to my engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 04:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
listen to my engine

ok i recorded this video of my engine running. It isn't exactly as it sounds in person, but close. i am trying to figure out the click. and you can't really see it , but the engine is shaking pretty bad . This is the best way i know of the let you all hear it. The engine only has about 30k miles on it, and i have already checked the timing chain and guides, all brand new. I have also adjusted the valves like 5 times and makes no difference.

About the shaking, i replaced the o2 sensor and tps, also cleaned the TB and ran seafoam through the gas tank.

Here is the video. (sorry it is quick time format )
It's a 3.5 mb file, so give it some time.
http://media.putfile.com/Odd-noise

Thanks.

Last edited by linuxrunner; 03-01-2006 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
wow i didint know you could get a diesel in the states .....that sounds soo bad i cant even think of what it could be
Old 03-01-2006, 04:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yikes!

rod knock?
Old 03-01-2006, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 89macrunner
yikes!

rod knock?
i don't know, it only has 30k on it and i put 10k of that. it is higher pitched in real life on the video the click sounds a lot deeper, in reality it is more clicky sounding.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:10 PM
myk

Rod and or Bearing! as soon as mine started talking to me, i didnt know what it was saying, until 5 thousand miles later my bearing desided to become one with the crank. You live you learn.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:14 PM

I just sold an 86 4runner that sounded just like that the whole time I had it. I always thought the valves were just really tired, loose rocker arms maybe, Does yours make a high pitched tapping, rapping noise when you first start it for like 2-3 seconds? I just ran 20-50 in mine and I drove it 24k miles in a year before selling it. It could be a rod knock......
Old 03-01-2006, 05:35 PM

To add to my last post 2 different mechanics listened to my engine and they told me it was a bad connecting rod bearing/ rod knock....I still drove the hell out of it though. Does yours run hot at all?
Old 03-01-2006, 05:45 PM

If it's a loose rod you wanna get it changed as soon as possible...my sister's ex-boyfriend had a Celica throw a rod...it threw the rod literally...right through the bottom side of the block...
Old 03-01-2006, 06:57 PM

First guess would be rod or piston knocking...could an oil return be blocked or oil pump be going bad? I've heard sticking fuel injectors make a similar noise. Perhaps a mechanics stethoscope would help isolate the area of the noise.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:49 PM

Run a compression test on each cylinder starting with the #1 cylinder and work your way back. If you have a rod knock, the reading will be lower than the others. Your engine ounds like mine but mine is supposed to diesel
Old 03-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by pruney81
I just sold an 86 4runner that sounded just like that the whole time I had it. I always thought the valves were just really tired, loose rocker arms maybe, Does yours make a high pitched tapping, rapping noise when you first start it for like 2-3 seconds? I just ran 20-50 in mine and I drove it 24k miles in a year before selling it. It could be a rod knock......
No, it always sounds the same. and always goes with the RPM. Also it runs perfect temp wise. never goes above right in the center of the gage. i'll check the compression that way i will know if it is a rod. I have readings from the other owner about 15k miles ago and all cylinders were getting 182-194 so unless something happened right before i bought it. Also it has lots of power and accelearates quick. i lisened with a screwdriver and all the injectors sound quiet actully everything is nice and quiet except when the screwdriver is on the valve cover. even if it is like an inch below the valve cover it is quiet. (noise on the valve cover is LOUD) could it be that i screwed the valve cover on too tight? i dont have a torque wrench so i don't know how tight they are to be.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:40 PM
Contributing Member

My compression is 179, 181, 180, 180
Old 03-01-2006, 09:08 PM

Sounds like the ol "feeler guages left on the head" trick. i had a buddy of mine at the dealership do that on a customer's car. He had adjusted the valves and bolted everything down. When he started that car, it was a consistent rapping sound that went with the rpm of the engine. He pulled it apart and one of the feeler guages had been beat to hell but the engine suffered no lasting damage from what we could tell. I would take your valve cover back off and inspect the valve clearances while you're at it. Could be a simple mistake. A rod knock will show itself in many different ways and number one is power loss through dragging a low cylinder through a power stroke. It will smoke mildly at first then quickly progress into alot of smoke as cylinder wash begins to happen as the fuel washes the cylinder. etc etc etc. Keep us informed...
Old 03-01-2006, 09:12 PM

valves or timing chain id say check the guides
Old 03-01-2006, 09:34 PM

Thats exactly what mine sounds like...I have taken it back to mech who replaced it and he said he did all the adjustments right. I guess I am going to be going back or getting a second opinion.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:48 PM
Contributing Member

i have no smoke at all, gee i hope i didn't leave anything under the valve cover. Here is the post on my timing chain.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/my-timing-chain-looks-good-right-77199/

took a pic, but hard to see, guides are like new (only 30k miles old) and chain is nice and tight. Maybe i can get a friend to help me adjust the valves again. Actually by the time i get to the last 3 or 4 valves the engine is pretty cold. This is because to turn the engine over to do the other half you need to use a wrench on that nut on the pulley, and the nut is completely stripped and very very hard to get a grip on. Sometimes takes me 20-30 minutes to turn it over to do the other half, but i try to compensate for the cold temps. Can this nut be replaced? i can get a pic if needed.

icp1327 keep me informed, i would like to know what you find out.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:26 AM

mine sounds that way too and doesnt run hot or smoke or anything. everybody i talked to says its the common toyota ticking, 22RE's make noise, etc. and nothing to worry about? i drive mine over 100miles/day so i would like it to last as long as possible.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by linuxrunner
... i lisened with a screwdriver and all the injectors sound quiet actully everything is nice and quiet except when the screwdriver is on the valve cover. even if it is like an inch below the valve cover it is quiet. (noise on the valve cover is LOUD) could it be that i screwed the valve cover on too tight? i dont have a torque wrench so i don't know how tight they are to be.
Yes, it definitely could be the valve cover is on too tight. I've read other threads that mention this problem. Check the link below, page 22. Appears the proper torque is 52 in lb...which isn't much.

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../7cylinder.pdf
Old 03-02-2006, 08:50 AM

If it doesn't smoke or run hot and you're not losing coolant I wouldn't worry about it. Like I said before mine sounded like that too, I drove it on many long couple thousand mile trips no problem, I've heard the 22re is just a loud engine sometimes, I did have a loose rocker arm though, even when I tightened my valves it still sounded like a diesel. These engines are pretty much indestructible.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by pruney81
If it doesn't smoke or run hot and you're not losing coolant I wouldn't worry about it. Like I said before mine sounded like that too, I drove it on many long couple thousand mile trips no problem, I've heard the 22re is just a loud engine sometimes, I did have a loose rocker arm though, even when I tightened my valves it still sounded like a diesel. These engines are pretty much indestructible.
that is what i figured for the last year. it just that a few neighbors have 22re's and they run real quiet. And they have like 200k on them, so i though that something must be wrong with mine, i'll go check the valve cover torque right now. should the rubber things be all squished? beucase the first time i messed with it i don't really remember them being all squished.

Thanks all for helping.

Quick Reply: listen to my engine