Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Liscense plate relocation for MC bumper

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have the trailgear rear bumper, almost identical but it looks alot beefier ...
Old 10-21-2009, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
If you plan on mall wheeling then that bumper is fine. If you plan to tow or beat the crap out of it then get one from Addicted Off Road. I know some folks swear by MC but they are a pain to mount and are not as durable as I thought they'd be.
I disagree greatly. I absolutely love my MC rear bumper, and I beat the piss out of it on the rocks and have been yanked out of situations with a strap and have been winched out using it as an anchor point. That's what happens when you drag a stock height truck through Fordyce. This bumper has been proven on the toughest trails in the country, ie. the Rubicon, Fordyce, Johnson Valley etc...if you can't mount it properly you must be not be very mechanically inclined, it's four bolts and two welds (the welds are key)

Anyways, here's what I did with my license plate:

Last edited by 89silverpu; 10-21-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 89silverpu
I disagree greatly. I absolutely love my MC rear bumper, and I beat the piss out of it. That's what happens when you drag a stock height truck through Fordyce. This bumper has been proven on the toughest trails in the country, ie. the Rubicon, Fordyce, Johnson Valley etc...if you can't mount it properly you must be not be very mechanically inclined, it's four bolts and two welds (the welds are key)

Anyways, here's what I did with my license plate:

And you may be right. I however had some issues getting both the front and the rear mounted. I probably shouldn't have been too harsh on the MC gear, they do make some nice products. For the money though I was a little disappointed. Live and learn though (oh and bad @ss rig!!!)

This is the first rear bumper ever that I've had to grind for half an hour to get some clearance, use two pry bars and a friend to get the mounts outside the frame rails and put it on/take it off a half dozen times so I could rat out the mounting holes. It was easier to mod it to mount on the 4runner. A cutting torch and a welder make everything easier.

The front was difficult in that I had to put it on/take it off about 9 times to rat out ALL the holes so they would line up on the pickup. When I put it on the 4runner it was easier since all the holes were huge, again a welder was used to secure the mounts.

Oh and I am a little mechanically challenged..
Old 10-21-2009, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
...(oh and bad @ss rig!!!)

This is the first rear bumper ever that I've had to grind for half an hour to get some clearance, use two pry bars and a friend to get the mounts outside the frame rails and put it on/take it off a half dozen times so I could rat out the mounting holes. It was easier to mod it to mount on the 4runner. A cutting torch and a welder make everything easier.

The front was difficult in that I had to put it on/take it off about 9 times to rat out ALL the holes so they would line up on the pickup. When I put it on the 4runner it was easier since all the holes were huge, again a welder was used to secure the mounts.
Thanks! That's interesting...are you sure your frame wasn't bent or something? Mine went up, had to spred the mounts a quarter of an inch with a pry bar, then put the bolts in, lined it up, tightened the bolts and hit the mounting areas with a couple 4 inch welds...maybe yours was a fluke or something? Everyone I know that has one (which is only like 3 people lol) love them!
Old 10-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I have jacked up my truck by the mc rear bumper, it didnt move at all!

Ive towed out multiple trucks with it, flipped over a car or two, did some minor smash em up derby style driving.... nothing!

I have modified mounts for the bl with extra beef...

The only problem I had was the bumper getting slammed by the ground and pushing up into the bed a little. I just had to reef on the mounting bolts to make it immovable.

I tried to jack p the front of the truck with my MC bumper and it started to move into the body....

I still hate the look of the licence plate on the tailgate. Im really happy I was able to fit my plate in the stock location.
I recently moved it up farther to keep the law happy, one officer pulled me over because he couldnt see the bottom of one of the letters on my plate.

So I drilled new holes in the plate (lower down to raise it up) and trimmed about a 1/4 off the top of the licence plate. It recesses into the bed so you can't see I cut it

Last edited by Jay351; 10-21-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
The only problem I had was the bumper getting slammed by the ground and pushing up into the bed a little. I just had to reef on the mounting bolts to make it immovable.

I tried to jack p the front of the truck with my MC bumper and it started to move into the body....
That's why they recommend the weld. Once you weld it, it won't move. And if you're worried about not being able to take it off, it's nothing a grinder couldn't take care of
Old 10-21-2009, 07:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
grr...you guys make it soo hard to make a dang decision..lol

but i believe..since Scotty's bumper is a tad cheaper..i'll get it..lmao..

if it aint strong enough..then i can beef it up , and if i can't do it, then one of my buddies can hahahaha
Old 10-21-2009, 08:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you guys..im about to just give in...and build my own bumper finally...i need to get ahold of a tube bender..and a friend with some patience..the one i have in mind does some STRONG welds...(he's the best in his welding class...as far as strength of the weld goes) but they are FUGLY welds..lmao..not bugger welds..but they aint pretty hahaha

guess it dont matter as long as it's strong right..i mean hey...i got a grinder lol

im thinkin 1 3/4" .120 wall tubing...now just to get the tube bender.......
Old 10-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by khoopes
I jacked the back of the truck up with the receiver hitch thing and it bent my bumper. Doesn't give me the best feeling for towing anything heavy.
So let me get this straight.. You jacked up the rear of your truck with your receiver hitch and bent the tubes on your Marlin bumper.
You got some pics to back this up..
As far as I know AOR (Trailgrear) or marlin are not class rated for towing either.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 89silverpu
Thanks! That's interesting...are you sure your frame wasn't bent or something? Mine went up, had to spred the mounts a quarter of an inch with a pry bar, then put the bolts in, lined it up, tightened the bolts and hit the mounting areas with a couple 4 inch welds...maybe yours was a fluke or something? Everyone I know that has one (which is only like 3 people lol) love them!
Mine may have been a fluke. The truck I mounted the bumpers on the first time had never been off road, still had factory sized tires, factory shocks (shot) and all the sheet metal and the frame were wrinkle and dent free.

I might have actually gotten a set that were a little off. Make no mistake I know that MC does some great work, I was just a little disappointed. Probably shouldn't have posted in a public forum about my complaints but what's done is done.

So any front shots of that rig doing some crawling?