Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Lining came off brake shoe!

Old 12-26-2005, 08:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lining came off brake shoe!

I have been getting this squeak when brake pedal is not depressed, after fixing my e-brake like 3 times, I jacked up the back end and spun both wheels, right side makes loud rubbing noise, I removed wheel to find that the pad or lining on my shoes is coming off What now? These have about 80% left. Do I replace all four pads? Or just the two on right wheel? Or is there a way to reattach? Is there something that causes this? I am in the dark here.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:39 PM

Always do brakes in axle sets.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:52 PM
Contributing Member

good to know, farmerj. Now when buying brakes do they usually come in sets of 2 or 4 shoes? Also if anybody knows what caused this or how to prevent it.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:41 PM

Are they bonded or riveted?

Either way, I would suspect excess heat. Dragging parking brake or adjusted to tight.

You buy them in axle sets, 4 shoes.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:46 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks, they were bonded and i would figure very cheap. It would make since, becuase i think my parking brake was badly adjusted for about 2 months
Old 12-27-2005, 05:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The same thing happened to me a year ago...

My symptom was a bit different, there was SEVERE axle shaking when I hit the brakes. Pics are here: http://www.midiwall.com/4Runner/brakes_2.html

Anyway, do NOT try to save the pads... bite the bullet and get new ones. If you still have the receipt for the pads that are ont he truck you might be able to get them replaced free.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by linuxrunner
Thanks, they were bonded and i would figure very cheap. It would make since, becuase i think my parking brake was badly adjusted for about 2 months

I guess I would approach it this way. It depends on the miles on your truck, but in the end it would be worth it.

Head down to NAPA or look up the Toyota dealer that is giving killer deals here on Yotatech. Get yourself a full set of CERAMIC pads and shoes (Front and Rear), a new set or rotors AND a new pair of drums. Ceramics will cost you about twice as much as the cheap stuff will.

It has been my experence, if these have been turned once, they are scheduled for replacement. If you bought the truck used, you have no idea if it's been done, much less done correctly.

If someone put cheap shoes in there once, chances are, it was does on the cheap. Out of round drums and warped rotors are the result. Especially when stuff starts to get thin.

Everyone gives so much attention to making the truck go, but we tend to forget that little thing of how important it is to stop and stop quickly. So spend the money.

I would also recommend getting a brake system flush done. Even after 1 or 2 years, your fluid will have absorbed enough moisture to wreak havoc on the lines, cylinders and calipers.
Power bleeder
Old 12-27-2005, 07:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
whatever you do, don't get ceramic pads for a driver. they only work really well after you get them hot, and tend to chew up your rotors/drums.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:19 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the advice, but most of the parts that previous owners have replaced have been non oem and crap, so it makes me just wan't to go out and buy a cheap set of shoes. The ones that were on there were pretty cheap and i thought they worked great, although i am compairing to a suburban with a falty abs system
Old 12-27-2005, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by kyle_22r
whatever you do, don't get ceramic pads for a driver. they only work really well after you get them hot, and tend to chew up your rotors/drums.
Guess it would depend on your driving habits. I had to put them into the wifes van as I can't get anything else to stand up to a lead foot on the brakes as much as the gas. Not so much speeding, but jack rabbit starts and stops.

If you ride your brakes while off-road, or have ever had the experience of brake fade, you will go with ceramics, especially if you tow a trailer.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do the shoes look moist? Axle seals OK? Did you also look at the wheel cylinders to make sure they aren't leaking? (lift the rubber cap on each end...ANY fluid in there = replace). Also check to make sure the park brake levers are free...I have seen them rust up and stick

I use the NAPA "AE" shoes. I use the cramics on my DD with great results.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:11 AM

Give you an idea of my last brake job on my 88 4runner.

New Brake Pads - Ceramic
New Brake Shoes - Ceramic
New Rear Cylinders
New Rear Hardware Kits
New Master Cylinder
New front Wheel Seals
New Front wheel bearing (just because I had everything apart and there were 150,000 miles on the truck.)

My parking brake levers were also sticky. I had to tear them apart and scrub them down with emery cloth and CLP to get them to work properly. IF I keep the truck, I am looking at new levers and cables for the parking brake. As It is, they have started to bind up again to the point I can't use the parking brakes.

The only other thing I am noticing on my brake system is a really bad idle when I step on the brakes. I am figuring it is a bad diaphragm.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:33 AM
Contributing Member

wow, it must be nice to know that all your brake hardware is nice and new and you don't have to worry about it. but other than the shoes, and before when the e-brake levers needed some work. The rest of the brake stuff is in pretty good shape.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:49 AM

Heat/time weakens springs. The first "Mod" I do to any vehicle I buy used is replace/rebuild the brake system. Whether it needs it or not.

I don't know what someone else used before, the condition of the system or how trustworthy it is.

That pedal on the right will only work when the engine is running. It's pretty safe when you are stopped and you step on that one and it won't go.

That pedal on the left (or Middle) is a Bit&* when at 70 MPH you need to mash it and nothing happens.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:05 PM
Contributing Member

point taken, i'll look into replaceing the springs and other brake components when i replace the shoes, no point in new shoes if everything else could fall apart at any time. and plus i won't have to worry or (hopefull) pull apart my brake system for a while.