86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lift Kit Help: Will this fit my Toyota?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift Kit Help: Will this fit my Toyota?

I just bought a used lift kit off a guy. He specifically said it was a Trailmaster kit for Toyota IFS trucks. The ad said it came off an '89, but should fit '86-'89. I'm starting to get that aching feeling in my stomach and perhaps, in my excitement, jumped before looking and may have be reminded of the lesson, buyer beware. The pictures of the IFS kit from Trailmaster's installation instructions (found online at their website), does not match what I have. The main piece (not counting the box of small plates and bolts and nuts) are:

(1) I got two of these:

One is stamped with, "20-57089-12D" a the other ends in "12P" - I assume for Driver's side and Passenger Side:

(2) I got two of these:

(3) Two of these:

The difference between (2) and (3) is the extra flanges on the #(3) brackets, circled in one of the above pics.

(4) And one of these:

The biggest difference I see with the Trailmaster kit pictures and what I have is items (2) and (3) have bulit in bumpstops, while the kit uses a rectangle bracket that is separate.

Do I (best case) have a different kit, that is still right for my 1986 truck? Or

Do I have some other year kit? If so, what kit do I have? At the least, maybe I can re-sell it for break-even if it's the wrong kit for me.

Thanks. :confused:
Old 03-30-2009, 01:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like the Procomp Stage II to me, i.e., it's perfectly fine.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It does resemble my Pro Comp Stage 2 but the first pic looks odd is that a ball joint mounted on it?
Old 03-30-2009, 06:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Stanae86

Do I have some other year kit?
86-95 IFS is the same

Whats wrong with the kit that makes you confused?
Old 03-30-2009, 07:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by olharleyman
It does resemble my Pro Comp Stage 2 but the first pic looks odd is that a ball joint mounted on it?
The spindle spacer pic is upside down, that's the upper balljoint.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:42 PM

I'm not sure what it is that's still on the top, but it comes off easily by removing a cotter pin and a big nut. Otherwise, it's just like the pictures I see of the ProComp and Trailmaster bits.

I was confused because it didn't look like the Trailmaster kit, which is what he said it was. Having looked up the Procomp Stage II kit, it looks like that may be what I have, as it has integrated bump stops.

The only thing that has me still worried is that if he told me the wrong kit manufacturer, maybe he told me the wrong model and make truck it would work on. I think I'll be uneasy until I can actually start putting it on and it fits.

I REALLY appreciate the help on this, being new to 4x4 stuff, I'm feeling like a fish out of water. Thanks again!

Last edited by Stanae86; 03-30-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not sure what it is that's still on the top, but it comes off easily by removing a cotter pin and a big nut.............

The only thing that has me still worried is that if he told me the wrong kit manufacturer, maybe he told me the wrong model and make truck it would work on. I think I'll be uneasy until I can actually start putting it on and it fits.
That would be the upper ball joint, the cotter pin holds the castle nut in place.

And the kit looks like Toyota IFS (86-95) bracket lift to me
Old 03-30-2009, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
he included the BJ's and bump stops?

good lord, is the truck he removed it off of on blocks now?

lol

yeah, really looks like the ProComp Stage 2, just minus the torque bars, or whatever you call those thingy's that come with the kit

by the way, photobucket.com; imageshack sux

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 03-30-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:24 PM

it appears to be a different kint than a trail master but it should work.i bought my trailmaster kit used and had to piece it together .it worked fine post up if ya need some help
Old 03-30-2009, 07:31 PM

He included those torque bars in the kit. He said his friend rolled his truck, so he cannibalized the lift kit intending to use it, but fell on hard times and has been out of work, so he put it up for sale.

I'm feeling much better. But still want to put it in the truck to make 100% sure.

Thanks again for everyone's input. You guys totally rock.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Contributing Member

He included those torque bars in the kit. He said his friend rolled his truck, so he cannibalized the lift kit intending to use it, but fell on hard times and has been out of work, so he put it up for sale.

I'm feeling much better. But still want to put it in the truck to make 100% sure.

Thanks again for everyone's input. You guys totally rock.
oh sweet deal

I bet it is the PC S2 kit!

that's a really good kit; I'd rate it as one of the best bracket lifts out there for the Toyota IFS!

good score!

how much did you get it for anyway? if you don't mind me asking...
Old 03-30-2009, 07:38 PM

I paid $150 for it. Hopefully, it's $150 well spent and not a loss, but it sounds like I have an IFS kit.

It looks like I need shocks though, it didn't come with shocks, but the rest is "supposed" to be complete. I'm going to lay it out tonight and compare it with the ProComp kit pictures, to see how many nuts and bolts I have, but more importantly, that I have all the plates and brackets.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's a PCSTII kit. Did you get the differential drop extensions too?
If not, do not install the kit.

Although you can re-use your front LCA / diff mount brace, there should be two extensions to support the bushings on the rear side of both ends of the front diff housing as well.

Oh, and some extensions to drop the swaybar mounts.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks like the Procomp stage 2. Congrats, you have one of the best bracket lifts for your truck

You got all the hardware?
Old 03-30-2009, 07:43 PM
Contributing Member

I paid $150 for it. Hopefully, it's $150 well spent and not a loss, but it sounds like I have an IFS kit.

It looks like I need shocks though, it didn't come with shocks, but the rest is "supposed" to be complete. I'm going to lay it out tonight and compare it with the ProComp kit pictures, to see how many nuts and bolts I have, but more importantly, that I have all the plates and brackets.
$150!

HOLY CRAP!!!

damn man, that's a steal... I wish I could find a deal like that...

X's 2 what Abe mentioned; make sure you have all the diff-drop brakettry and what-not... just compare to the pictures and you should be fine; you may even be able to find a complete parts list on a web site somewhere for the kit

Old 03-30-2009, 07:48 PM

Yes, please lay out everything you got and take and post pictures.
I have the ProComp Stage II kit on my 4Runner, and bought it used, and managed to get it installed so I'm fairly confident that between your pics and the rest of us, we can get it installed.

BTW... where are you located?

And welcome to Yotatech- noticed you have 4 posts and they're all on this thread.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:51 PM

Out of curiousity... do you know if you got any of the hardware for the rear? ...blocks, u-bolts...? If you didn't, you're gonna look funny going down the road.

But we can help you there too.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Out of curiousity... do you know if you got any of the hardware for the rear? ...blocks, u-bolts...? If you didn't, you're gonna look funny going down the road.

But we can help you there too.
good point
Old 03-30-2009, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
good point
yeah, I'm allotted 7 "good points" a week. unfortunately, I don't get roll-over.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by abecedarian
yeah, I'm allotted 7 "good points" a week. unfortunately, I don't get roll-over.

oh you need to switch plans then man

I can never seem to reach my "good point" limit

but I have unlimited "that's awsome!"s

Quick Reply: Lift Kit Help: Will this fit my Toyota?