Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Lift installed... A couple problems...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift installed... A couple problems...

Hey everyone,
I put in my BJ spacer and LC lift this weekend and after everything was installed a couple of things came to my attention.
1. When I'm driving and I get into or out of the gas at all there is about a 1 second long audible buzzing coming from the driveline. Also when I am coasting down big hills. Is this just a common driveline vibration that I have to get used to?

2.I took the truck to NTB to have them align it. They called me 45 minutes later and told me that they didnt even want to try it, and that my alignment was way too far out to get it back into spec. I then took it to Tires Plus who told me they "thought" they could "maybe" get it back in to alignment but it is going to take at least a couple hours of work!!! and they are going to have to loosen the torsion bars.

As of right now my torsion bars are still sitting at stock height and with the LC coils my runner has a pretty good rake on it so I need to crank them about an inch+ to level it out. I told the guy at the shop that I couldnt have him un-cranking my bars when I havent even cranked them yet. Is there any help you all can give me with this? I still am running my stock tires because I dont want to put on my muds till I get this figured out but everyone seems clueless. Thanks ahead of time
Old 02-25-2007, 05:40 PM

I'd love to see pictures of your new lift.

The buzzing sound is not normal. I was getting that sound just before the rear driveshaft fell out from my old lifted GMC.

-Sam
Old 02-25-2007, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
check your front driveline and see if it is rubbing on the driveline to tranny cover my has that same sound and thats what i found was rubbing causing the sound. just a thought or my .02
Old 02-25-2007, 06:51 PM

samurai: I had a buddy that had a jeep that had driveline vibration because of the driveline angle after the a lift. I dont know if this is common for yotas

harley: I'll check the front driveline like you said but I'm not running in 4wd with this noise and my hubs are not engaged so I dont think this could be it.

Anyone have any ideas on this... or on how I can explain to the alignment shop on how to get my truck aligned without charging me 2hrs labor to tinker with it?
Old 02-26-2007, 04:50 AM

Bump.
I know that the vibration is from my poor pinion angle, and I'm hoping it lessens with the spring sag. Anyone have any ideas on alignment? my tires look like this \ /
Old 02-26-2007, 06:36 AM
Contributing Member

That sucks, one thing you can do for your pinion angle in the rear is to add something with some weight back there till your springs settle. As for your alignment, I would suggest doing some of it yourself to get it close so that you don't get the deer in the headlights look from the techs. I think 4crawler has some good info on this somewhere on his site. Sorry I don't have the link right now but if you search on here for alignment, I am sure it will pop up.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:16 AM

Thanks slosurfer... I just got back from getting it aligned at Tires Plus. They took about 1.5 hours but they got it in spec without touching the torsions. I bought the lifetime alignment for $119 so I will be bringing it back to them when I crank the torsions and and put on the tires. As for adding weight to the rear... anyone got any dead bodies? This noise is HORRIBLE
Old 02-26-2007, 09:56 AM

I wouldn't run with that vibration any long then I had to. Think about it. You got a vibration that is not normal. It can tear up a pinion bearing maybe more.
Just my 2cents
Good luck
Old 02-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Adjustable control arms are one option to correct the pinion angle:
- http://allprooffroad.com/index.php?o...sk=view&id=122

Also, check for any looseness in the pinion and t-case flanges, slip yoke and the u-joints. I usually found noise/vibration at no load was due to something being worn or loose.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 02-26-2007 at 10:30 AM.