Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Left passenger window goes down but not up

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Left passenger window goes down but not up

Hey All,
the left passenger window in my '95 goes down but not up. It will go down only when you hit the switch in the left passenger door (the drivers window control for the left passenger window does nothing). I checked around the internet and found that this could be caused by a bad relay and not the window motor being bad and that to get the window to go up I could jump a spare battery to the window motor, which I did and it worked to get the window to go up. However I'd like to fix the problem so that I can use the switches (both on the left passenger door and on the drivers door) to control the window again. Can anyone offer advice on a fix for this? Is it a burnt out relay? And if so where is the relay located?

Thanks
Old 05-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

take a look through the fsm links at the top of the page, body electrical, doors, window switches. it should indicate where the relays are and test procedures. there are a few techs on here that might be able to give more info.

keep us posted.

lee
Old 05-11-2008, 06:58 PM

If it is an ecu (relay) that needs replacing get a used one, they are way cheaper. The dealership wanted almost $600 for a rear window ecu for my 4runner, I got a used one for $150 (still a little steep if you ask me, but I didn't have a choice at the time).

Cheers
Old 05-11-2008, 07:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
My GUESS is a bad switch. I have had some get wet or just plain wear out and will only work in one direction.

Does the master switch (DS door) still move the window up and down?

You could try moving the DS passenger switch to the PS and see if the window then works.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just looked at the wiring diagram for the window circuit. The switch carries full current for the motors - the relays are before the switch and only switch the power on and off to the whole system when the key is shut off.

Highly suspect Elvota is right - your switch as worn out. Toyota only sells the whole piece switch panel, but they can be disassembled. If you grab a replacement switch assembly from the local scrapper you can (1) verify your problem for minimal cost and (2) have spare switch parts should you need them later.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:44 PM

So sounds like the consensus is that the switch on the door is probably bad and hence will only operate in one direction. Sounds like an easy fix. Question though: if the switch on the door is the culprit wouldn't the drivers switch still work? Cause it doesn't . . . . .
Old 05-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
So... the PS rear window switch located within the DS main switch panel does nothing as well, is that correct?

I think I might pull the PS rear switch and replace it with another or simply touch the contacts together to see if the relays are working and power is being recived at the PS door.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:06 AM

D'oh

Unfortunately, not a faulty switch on the LH rear door. I got a used replacement switch (Nix 99, having what I need and charging a premium, as usual). I swapped it out and being in a hurry (camping) broke the old switch, and . . . . . . . same deal, goes down but not up (and again still nothing from the drivers master switch).

I have looked at a wiring diagram but I am not yet familiar enough with reading them to shed much light on the problem.

Question:
Does the circuit run through the drivers master switch before heading to the switch in the LHR door so that if the drivers master switch went bad it would cause a problem like I'm having?

Any additional help would be great.

On a brighter note 4Runner was champ on / rafting trip & new gauges look great: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f131.../#post50839433
Old 05-27-2008, 08:24 AM

circuits are in parallel to both switches from door control. you have bad switches, if one is faulty alot of times it will cause problems with the other side as well.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:17 PM

I am having this same issue with my drivers window. Down but not up. I put a multimeter on the plug for the motor and it gets power when I move the switch both ways. I think its the motor. Is it possible for the motor to only go one direction?
Old 08-13-2008, 08:26 PM

I have this component burntout on my master switch as I have the same problem as above my driverside window dosnt work at all and the drivers side rear goes down but not up can anyone tell me what this component on the circuit in the switches is so can solder a replacement there are no markings visible and the repair manual does give a spec for the parts and the board.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Left passenger window goes down but not up-20080813_036s.jpg