Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

LED Headlight install

Old 12-20-2018, 05:36 AM

It's the world we live in. People are opinionated and want to force their opinions on others while being salty.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by RJR View Post
The OEM manufacturers are guilty as well. The problem with sharp cutoff low beam headlights is that they work great if the following two assumptions are true. 1) all roads are flat. and 2) all vehicles are the same height. Since, of course, neither of these assumptions are true, any sharp-cutoff light is going to fairly frequently put full intensity into an oncoming driver's eyes. This is equally as true of late model OEM lights as it is of aftermarket lights. The DOT has been totally asleep at the switch on regulating these things.
You hit the nail on the head.

I live in the foothills with rolling hills and lots of curves. There are many instances where oncoming drivers lights are shining directly into my face.

I might consider buying one of these LED kits when they start making them proper. They need to at least have auto-level. Otherwise, I know for a fact I am blinding other drivers.

Couple years back lots of new vehicles were failing IHS light tests. Now we have what we have now...blinding lights on some of the latest vehicles. It's just going to get more prevalent as time marches onward without anything being done.

Last edited by snippits; 12-20-2018 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:50 AM

You also have to stop people from lifting their vehicles as well and good luck with that. No matter what lights you have if your vehicle is over a certain height you are also blinding everyone. I don't care if it's LED, HID or crappy old Halogens. It's blinding.

Last edited by dropzone; 12-25-2018 at 05:02 PM. Reason: censor picked up on language
Old 12-20-2018, 04:04 PM

They look great OP.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Discombobulated View Post
They look great OP.
Thanks man I am super happy with them still, haters gunna hate, I'll continue to post updates on any problems I have. Im not sayin this is the best solution but the difference over Halogen is incredible. Like I said before I drive dark country roads 4+ hours a day and have totaled 2 vehicles due to animals. I can't credit these lights with saving my 4runner, but they have lit up some animals that I dont think my halogens would have allowing me to slow down in expectation of their movement.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:00 PM

Talk about haters coming out of the woodwork. Lights look good roughridn! I used the same amazon harness when I did my LED conversion but different lights than yours. I love them and after 6 months have yet to get the " high beam flash" from other drivers.
Old 12-25-2018, 11:35 AM

lenses

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU View Post
@#$%'ing please quit putting headlamps that don't include a fresnel lense in to vehicles meant for on road usage.

Sincerely, every other driver in the road.

It doesn't matter how good the cut off pattern looks from your cabin, they are still bright enough to trash on coming drivers "night vision". If you can see my headlamp I can see yours, if it's brighter than my interior dash lamps it triggers my cones to activate..

If you see a halo of light coming over the hill/horizon, I can see yours and am not going to wait until I see an actual vehicle to switch to low beams.

And while I am ranting, you shouldn't have your fog lights on unless you are driving in pea soup thick fog (it's the same as having on your high beams, they are bright as @#$% and pointed level with the road surface).. If you have a modern vehicle with a rotary lamp switch it push/pulls to toggle fog lamps.

PS: Dot certified lighting is a self regulated approval, they aren't tested by any governing body. That means they "meet the standard" as interpreted by the manufacturer. They usually don't meet the standard other than the road hazard portions.
Boom. What he said. Thanks. And while I'm ranting, i absolutely hate the new ford trucks; like they've got 4 'freakin laser beams on sharks heads' at all times.
Old 12-25-2018, 03:45 PM

They look great OP.
Old 12-25-2018, 05:01 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by Discombobulated View Post
They look good OP enjoy them, my trucklight led’s have been in for 5 years + and not once have I been flashed.
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner View Post
LOL!
That's a good field test, then. Hard to tell with the many lights flooding the market and the skies.
So far, happy with my Truck-lites for 3 years. They have hot spots though, but not too bad. Only thing better would be properly lensed LED's like on our 2016 Corolla. Sharp cut-off, wide coverage.
i really wish I had been able to get the 5x7" headlight mounts to work in my 94, it just ended up sort of hacked so I put the factory 94 lens back in with an expensive set of quality LED bulbs
The output of the truck-lites was awesome in my 81

Originally Posted by coopster View Post
Boom. What he said. Thanks. And while I'm ranting, i absolutely hate the new ford trucks; like they've got 4 'freakin laser beams on sharks heads' at all times.
i see those trucks all the time, flash my high beams at them and they don't get it..if I zapped them with the lower light bar they might get it but not worth getting pulled over

Last edited by dropzone; 12-25-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by ev13wt
I will wager that if you buy some Osram H4 headlights with standard, brand name H4 (Osram nightbreaker, whatever) on a harness with a relay - you will see more of everything that with those not optimally engineered LEDs.
Sorry OP, cannot support. And it looks stupid to me as well. A 25+yo truck with leds. The design looks off, as does the light color. YMMV.

Sometimes I am glad they have the TÜV here, checking every car every 2 years. "You installed random chinese LED headlights?" "Yes" "Remove them or park your car on your property, dear."
Run that setup in my hood at night. 2 lane rural county highway, 55mph, with 600-800lbs elk just 20' off the side of the road. Takes them less than 2 seconds to get to the shoulder of the road when they start moving. See how much lead time you have with your Halogens vs adding some aux lights. Even in my 99.5 stock chevy with great non blinding lights it can happen very quick. Like you have under a second to hit the brakes.
My wife's 98 4runner with a set of Nilight 36watt floods aimed at the ground she can see everything and nobody flasher her. Even the local sheriff commented in town that they were great. A lot depends on the light and a lot depends on the aim. But the can and have been installed without blinding people.

Got a buddy that finally sold his brodoser but it was so big the lights he had just to see were awful for everybody else. And his were aimed down the road instead of down on the road.