86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Leaking TVV valve?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking TVV valve?

Hi everyone!

Sorry for the long post in advance...

First of all, let me say how much this site has helped me since I picked up an '88 SR5 4Runner with the "3. slow" several months ago.
The search tool has provided a number of helping hints as I struggle with my new found fascination.
Now here's where I need help: I'm a quasi-tooled, only semi skilled shade tree mechanic with very little water cooled experience.( "back in the day" i used to tinker quite a bit with vw bugs...but who can't work on a bug?) .

In tracking down a mysterious coolant leak, I found out about the upside down "U" shaped hose behind the intake manifold, and pulled the manifold off to investigate. The hose looks fine , but the tvv sensor looks like it's heavily corroded, as if the sensor itself is actually leaking.

Here are my dumb questions: Is the coolant under the sensor under pressure at temp, and could that be my leak source?

Since I'm there, shouldn't I also just go ahead and replace all of the sensors to avoid the pita of pulling the intake again? What the heck are all of those sensors?

There's a tremendous amount of carbon buildup inside the upper and lower intakes, but only in the 1st set of cylinders.....how should I address that?

and finally:

Since I'm there, and I have an issue that's acting like possibly a bad fuel injector, should I pull the fuel rails and clean them? Part B: what's that all about...I've never touched a fuel injection system in my life.

OH , and does anyone know what happened to the good old days when Chilton's and Haynes manuals were over 1/2" thick , and actually helped you?

Thanks!

Jim
Old 01-09-2011, 04:20 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Answers:

1. Yes, and yes.

2. Replace them all? NO, "if it ain't broke don't fix it". General rule of thumb. And to avoid an unnecessary explaination of what all those sensors are(AGAIN!), here's the thread. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...s-3vze-224860/

3. Clean it out? That is a little odd to only be dirty on one "cylinder" and not the others too. I'm not sure what could be done preventatively. Need more input.

4. Well, to get to the injectors you'll have to pull the fuel rails anyway. But they're not too likely to be the source of the trouble, or be in need of any real cleaning themselves. It's VERY possible that one or more injectors need serviced/cleaned though. For how-to, see the FSM(link below). Injector service parts are available from several sources online, and/or Toyota.

5. I still look to the Chilton for guidance, even with access to the many online FSMs that are available. Because sometimes they just don't have the specific pics or procedures that you'll find in the Chilton manual. So those "good old days" have gone nowhere IMO.

On that note, here's a good FSM that will help you tons no doubt, if the Chilton/Haynes is all you've got. http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/

Here's another freebie: DO NOT ditch the Chilton, no matter which moron on this site tells you to. Why? Because there are no online FSMs that are specific to the 88 3VZE. The Chilton repair manual for 1970-88 Toyota Pick-Ups/Land Cruiser/4Runner will prove to be an invaluable asset in the future. TRUST ME! And if you don't already have it, GET IT! Then I won't have to post up the numerous pages I've scanned out of it every time you can't figure out why your engine is different than the one in the FSMs. What I'm trying to say is between the FSM AND the Chilton, you'll be pretty well covered.

This one is the one I'm refering to BTW.

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-09-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Mud!
To clarify, the carbon buildup/ grease is actually in the first 3 cylinders ( I know...pics would help).
Thanks for the advice, and the links!
I actually have the 89- manual...bought under the mistaken advice that the 88 and 89 3.0's had the same setup....I'll track the other one down asap.

Also I'm now questioning my "wise" decision to buy a 21 year old import as a reliable fishing truck option.

I'd sell the thing, but that '88 4Runner has better ground clearance, better mileage, weighs less, hauls more, is almost as fast, and is alot more comfortable and reliable than my 04 Wrangler was at 41k miles. and that's before I fix it...

Jim

Last edited by puddlejockey; 01-10-2011 at 04:32 AM.