86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Leaking power steering gear box

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking power steering gear box

I bought a gear box off ebay because my old one had a bad pitman arm and was leaking from that seal where the steering shaft connects to. The new one I got off ebay didn't leak for a while and had a brand new pitman arm. It worked great until I went over some pretty hefty terrain which required a lot of slow turning and going through ruts. After going offroad it has started leaking really badly. Now I have a few large power steering oil marks in the driveway everyday once again. What could be causing the gear box seal to start leaking and where can I get a new seal? The truck has a 3" body lift; could that be causing the seal to wear out because of the steeper angle the shaft connects to the gear box? I just want it to stop leaking already. Please help!

Last edited by ToyYoda; 12-23-2006 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
My '86 gearbox started leaking bad and I was milking it out. I scored a gearbox off and '87 had it sandblasted and everything, but I never got around to swapping it out. In the mean time I got some Lucas brand power steering fluid which has seal restore stuff in it. Let's just say, I still haven't swapped out gearbox's. Stuff works great.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That seal is easy to replace. Its called the sector shaft seal. I see these leak after impact, usually body shops, but some off roading can bend the sectro shaft and make a leaker out of it.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mine leaks to.. none power steering box... got a used powersteering box and it leaks (not installed yet) .. seems really common on high mileage gearbox's... i plan to rebuild it anyways.

look up rebuild threads, they're everwhere including in the FSM
Old 12-23-2006, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Usually better to use the recommended Auto Tranny Fluid (ATF) vs. Power Steering Fluid to cut down on leaks.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech
That seal is easy to replace. Its called the sector shaft seal. I see these leak after impact, usually body shops, but some off roading can bend the sectro shaft and make a leaker out of it.

Where can I pick one up?

Thanks for all the great info. I'll try a few things and see what works.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
+1 for Lucas Stop leak. If you haven't bent something, it will swell the seal and stop the leak. I replaced all the fluid in mine and run Lucas only. Try it! It's cheap and won't hurt anything. One other note... It worked so good, in my 4Runner that I changed out the fluid in my Sequoia when it was new! Lucas has conditioners in it that prevent the seals from shrinking in the first place. :bigclap:

Last edited by Sequoia'd; 12-24-2006 at 06:19 AM.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:52 AM
Contributing Member

Here is some info:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=537622
Old 12-24-2006, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by ToyYoda
Where can I pick one up?

Thanks for all the great info. I'll try a few things and see what works.
We used to stock them, we did lots or repairs to steering boxes for body shops. Either the sector shaft was bent and leaking or literally broken right off, i e snapped! The sector shaft should come out (relax, its actually easy to do) and then replace the seal while its out. Easy to do even "in the vehicle". Check the dealer for the parts in stock or special order them (one day turnaround of ordered before noon). Other places mentioned on this forum might also have the seals. If the pitman arm has ever taken an impact and its easy to do as its right out front, it might be bent, so look close. Also, a pitman arm puller is needed to replace the sector shaft seal. Not too spendy, usually under $40 and something that can last you the rest of your off roading life and probably use again or laon to buddies who might need it. I bought mine from Matco? and it was around $45
Old 12-24-2006, 09:59 PM

Just to clarify, it's the shaft that comes from the steering wheel and through the firewall, then connects to the gear box, that tiny seal there. It's only about a 1/2" spline.

I'm going to drain the power steering fluid from it and try the lucas stuff and see how that works.
Old 12-25-2006, 04:54 PM

Just to clarify, it's the shaft that comes from the steering wheel and through the firewall, then connects to the gear box, that tiny seal there. It's only about a 1/2" spline.
Well, that is a tough seal to replace. I've done one. You can buy a seal kit, and it comes with it. But the seal must be removed inward to the box needs some dissasembly. The large nut that holds it in place is staked into aluminum threads and its a bugger to do.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:02 PM

Well then hopefully that lucas stuff works like I'm hoping it does.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:30 PM

napa should have rebuild kits
Old 03-06-2007, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sequoia'd
+1 for Lucas Stop leak. If you haven't bent something, it will swell the seal and stop the leak. I replaced all the fluid in mine and run Lucas only. Try it! It's cheap and won't hurt anything. One other note... It worked so good, in my 4Runner that I changed out the fluid in my Sequoia when it was new! Lucas has conditioners in it that prevent the seals from shrinking in the first place. :bigclap:
Just to clarify,...you are running 100% Lucas PowerSteering Stop Leak. Since these units call for atf, it seams like a trans stop leak would be more suited.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:53 PM

Update??

Well then hopefully that lucas stuff works like I'm hoping it does.

Any update on your leak? Did the lucas do the trick??
I have the same situation. I put about 1/4 cup of fluid in every oil change.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:58 PM

I don't about weather to use power steering fluid or ATF, but I do know that Lucas is amazing. I mix their oil stabalizer 20% to %80 oil every time I change it. I love Lucas!
Old 03-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Contributing Member

Factory recommeds ATF:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/4R_TechInfo.shtml#Fluids
Old 04-05-2007, 06:49 AM

Lucas P/S stop leak

Update...I drained the ATF out of my powersteering resevoir and pump and re-filled with 1 qt of Lucas P/S stop leak. As mentioned, previously I was adding 1/4 cup ATF to the res. at each oil change.

After three weeks with the Lucas in there, I still have some seepage, and the gearbox gets a moist film on it, but no drips off of the pitman arm like before.

The Lucas has a money-back guarentee to stop leaks, so it's a pretty safe buy. Although my leak has not stopped, it has reduced significantly.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:56 PM

i just bought the rebuild kit straight from toyota, it should be coming in 4-5 days, ill take pics and let you guys know how it goes....
Old 05-04-2010, 04:41 PM

How much did it set you back, golddog?

Quick Reply: Leaking power steering gear box