86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

large gas leak in 94 pickup

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
large gas leak in 94 pickup

Have a 94 pickup developed a large gas leak. Can not see exactly where its coming from but is close to the fuel pump. Truck will start and run, gas sprays far and rapidly. Anyhow does anybody have experience with this matter. Do I have to pull the bed off the truck to work on the fuel system? Any help will be appreciated. Thanx
Old 01-03-2009, 07:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
could be a leak in the pressure line from the pump, or the return line is blocked and has a leak. I'd say drain the fuel and drop the tank.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:45 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Drain and dropage would be the quickest measure...
If it was me, and I couldnt see exactly where the leak was coming from, I would take off all the bed bolts on that side, then mostly off on the pass side, then use your bottle jack to lift the be up enough to get something big in there...then you can see exactly where its coming from...
my 2 cents

Old 01-03-2009, 05:57 PM

It is probably the line coming off the top of your fuel pump. Unfortunately it is part of the pump, so if that is what it is you will need to replace the pump. I had the same thing happen on my 93/3.0. At the stealership the pump was around $110 or so. The parts counter guy gave me a discount because this is such a common problem. You just have to take the gas tank shield down and make sure that the filler hose for the tank is disconnected, then you can remove the gas tank itself. (if the tank is full it will be heavy so watch out!) The whole process of dropping the tank only involves unscrewing about 8 bolts or so. With the gas tank dropped you can get to the fuel pump which is on top of the tank toward the engine, unscrew the bolts and drop the new pump in. then reverse the removal for installation. (that filler hose was a pita for me to get back on during the install, so have fun) I cannot really recall much about the fuel lines or what step they come off at so please do a quick search of the forum for gas tank removal and install. Then you will be all set to accomplish your mission. (should you choose to accept it.)
I tried all kinds of epoxies and some of them did a fairly well job at plugging the leaky line but in the end they just mucked up the area that the fuel pump came out of for the removal install of the new unit. Just pony up for the new pump at the beginning. (after dropping the tank to make sure that is your problem)
Sorry for the novel length but This is one of the only things that has ever broken on my truck so I am actually somewhat qualified to post a comment.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:02 PM

Sorry I just re-read your original post and you do not have to pull the bed off to do this. It pretty much sucks from the bottom or the top. But I did it from the bottom. Also I just drove mine around until it leaked/used enough fuel to basically empty my tank so it was as light as possible when I worked on it.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:24 PM

If can you remove the bed, you'll have a direct view of the fuel pump bracket. I had several leaks: in the bracket, and one of the hard lines. I replaced the bracket, and repaired the hard line by cutting the bad part out and putting fuel injection hose in its place.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:56 PM

Leak was in fuel pump bracket/fuel sending unit. During removal of tank, the main line broke where it meets the first fitting. Any tricks to loosening the fuel line fittings without damaging the intact fuel lines?
Old 06-30-2009, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if I understand what you are asking, I would cut the broken line down to its fitting and put a socket on that fitting. Use a line wrench on the other fitting (the good line). When I replaced my fuel pump braket and fuel lines last year that is what I did.

I pulled the bed as well. It is not hard but you need a buddy (who is strong).
Old 06-30-2009, 08:58 AM

Easiest for me was to pull the bed. Have someone give you hand and it is no big deal. Good time to clean up any rusty parts at the same time.