86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Knock sensor loom connector

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 02:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Knock sensor loom connector

Ugh brittle plastic. So I'm finally about to really replace my KS, but my old connector on the main loom is toast. Dealer couldn't help me, but I've seen some JDM/Toyota connectors really similar and I was hoping either a) there is a way to get the right connector, b) theres something that works instead.

I will be using my new wire I ran (only grounded on the ECU side) so I'd need a new connector regardless.

Should I forgo the original connector and just buy something generic? Taking mind to remove the connector from the wire coming out of the block and replace it with said generic one of course.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:26 AM

I went to the dealership, and they found the connector for me, for $7. Down side is the individual wires are $20 a piece. I posted this (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...g-pins-300051/) looking for the individual pins.

when I get the connector, I'll post the p/n
Old 04-30-2017, 03:29 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by 128keaton
... when I get the connector, I'll post the p/n
Do that. But also look closely at the molded shell (old and new). I believe that all Toyota connector shells have the last 5 digits of the part number, and the first 5 are the same for all connectors. You could supply us with the first 5!

The pins come out of the connector shell in the wire-direction. If the only problem with your old connector is a crumbled plastic shell, you may be able to re-use your existing pins.

[I hoped to do that with my replacement injector connectors, but the pins for the new shells were slightly different.]
Old 04-30-2017, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
Do that. But also look closely at the molded shell (old and new). I believe that all Toyota connector shells have the last 5 digits of the part number, and the first 5 are the same for all connectors. You could supply us with the first 5!

The pins come out of the connector shell in the wire-direction. If the only problem with your old connector is a crumbled plastic shell, you may be able to re-use your existing pins.

[I hoped to do that with my replacement injector connectors, but the pins for the new shells were slightly different.]
I tried resoldering to the pins and that inevitably made the problem worse thanks to the inability to move the connector somewhere easier to solder, so I bought about $9 of pins and seals from Ballenger Motorsports, hoping a combination will work for me *crosses fingers* if not I'd be up a creek per se. My knock sensor journey is the ultimate tail of failure, but everything aside from the ECU will be swapped out, OEM KS, and a new shielded wire.

Anyway, heres what you all are here for:

HOUSING, CONNECTOR: 90980-10886 $7.21 at your local dealership (forgot I had it on the invoice )

I'd still love to find the 'oem' solution, here is what I'm looking for, but in a male package (lol):

Here is what I ordered:
Wasn't sure what to order so I ordered a couple of multiple lol

Last edited by 128keaton; 04-30-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:39 PM

The Toyota gods were smiling on me tonight. I got pretty much exactly what I needed, both from Toyota and from Ballenger.

I put the connecters in and I heard the lovely *BEEP* from my multimeter confirming the pins made contact.

Connector pin: https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pr...oducts_id/2157
Connector seal: https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pr...oducts_id/2160

screenshots since when I was searching, most links were dead:

Old 11-03-2021, 09:06 PM
"G"

Did this solve code 52?
Old 11-30-2021, 06:06 AM

Smile Knock Sensor Loom Connector

Hey big guy,

Did this solve your issue for the Knock Sensor?

My wire from the harness was inadvertently separated and I have tried soldering it but still have the code 52.
If what you did worked, I can try to replicate it.

Let us know,

Thanks