86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Key Stuck in Ignition (94 Pickup)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key Stuck in Ignition (94 Pickup)

I have a 1994 Toyota Pickup Xtra-cab 4x4 automatic. I took it into the mechanic today to have the shifter bushings replaced, because the shifter was very loose and would wobble around a lot. The key used to get stuck in the ignition sometimes, but I would just finagle the shifter around a bit and it would release easily.

Well, since the shifter is now tight, I am unable to do that. The only way I could get my key out was to disconnect the battery, which was recommended to me by a friend who had the same problem with his 1996-ish 4Runner. He said that he found out the problem was this little computer board, solenoid-looking thing under the shifter cover. He said that he had spilled coffee on it and it therefore went bad.

I figured I was set and knew the solution to my problem, but I searched around this forum (and others) a little bit and saw people suggesting all sorts of different possibilities - from the ignition tumbler, to needing new keys from the dealer, to a solenoid near the actual ignition rather than the shifter, etc. I was wondering what direction I should go with this problem. I really don't want to have to pay a mechanic to tell me what is wrong...so is there any way I can find out for sure which it is? I was really looking forward to going to Toyota to buy that part and install it myself tomorrow, until I started searching around of course
Old 02-13-2013, 06:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe start simple and get a new key, shouldn't cost much.
Do you have a key #? if so I would get it at a dealer.
The reason I ask is because I can never find someone who can cut keys properly.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by ksti
Maybe start simple and get a new key, shouldn't cost much.
Do you have a key #? if so I would get it at a dealer.
The reason I ask is because I can never find someone who can cut keys properly.
I was given 4 keys with this truck. Two that were "regularly" used (but not beat to hell), and 2 that look like they weren't used much at all...and they all get stuck. I really don't think it is the key.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:40 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
It's not the key. There is a solenoid in the ignition switch setup that holds the key in when transmission is not in Park or Neutral. That's why disconnecting the battery releases it.

I have the same setup, but I've never taken it apart. More importantly, I can't find any documentation on it, so I'm really guessing here. I suspect that the solenoid is driven by the Park-Neutral Switch (though there may be a circuit board in-between). Your sloppy shifter didn't always hit the PN switch, but once the mechanic worked on it he broke it for good.

If it were mine, I would look inside, right at the shifter, to see if I could figure out what switch is not longer being contacted. If I gave up on that path, I would eventually try to figure out which wire goes up the steering column to the ignition switch that powers the solenoid, and cut it.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
It's not the key. There is a solenoid in the ignition switch setup that holds the key in when transmission is not in Park or Neutral. That's why disconnecting the battery releases it.

I have the same setup, but I've never taken it apart. More importantly, I can't find any documentation on it, so I'm really guessing here. I suspect that the solenoid is driven by the Park-Neutral Switch (though there may be a circuit board in-between). Your sloppy shifter didn't always hit the PN switch, but once the mechanic worked on it he broke it for good.

If it were mine, I would look inside, right at the shifter, to see if I could figure out what switch is not longer being contacted. If I gave up on that path, I would eventually try to figure out which wire goes up the steering column to the ignition switch that powers the solenoid, and cut it.
Well like I said, a friend had the same thing happen to him and it was a "little circuit board/solenoid right by the shifter (underneath the cover)" that he replaced...
Old 02-13-2013, 08:23 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
The solenoid is on the column mounted to the ingition key housing, the switch is mounted in the shifter.

Could be either one but since disconnecting the battery got your key back it's leaning toward the switch in the shifter, if the solenoid was stuck you would still bee trying to pry your key out

FSm, "shiftlock" and "Key interlock" link

You'll need to get that fixed it's unsafe to operate, obviously(?), but you can unplug the solenoid in the mean time so you don't have to fiddle with the battery to get your keys out.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
What does this mean (FSm)? I clicked the link...I see a bunch of different things. There are two things pointing to "Shift Lock solenoid"...does that mean there are 2 of them, or are both lines pointing to the same thing? I also see "Shift Lock Control ECU"...that sounds like the "board" my friend told me about; is that what I need?

You'll need to get that fixed it's unsafe to operate, obviously(?), but you can unplug the solenoid in the mean time so you don't have to fiddle with the battery to get your keys out.
"Unsafe" in what way? And the solenoid up near the ignition, right?

I really want to go to Toyota tomorrow, buy the part I need, fix it and be done with it. This was the plan until I started searching around here, like I said. I too figured it was the switch by the shifter (since that's the same problem my friend had/told me about). I just wanted to know if there was a way to "make sure" other than trying each solution out, or if what I described points to one specific conclusion...

Last edited by KtrainHurricane; 02-13-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:59 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Thanks! (I didn't look far enough.)

Originally Posted by bigsby1989
What does this mean (FSm)? ... I also see "Shift Lock Control ECU"...that sounds like the "board" my friend told me about; is that what I need? ...
I really want to go to Toyota tomorrow, buy the part I need, fix it and be done with it. ... I just wanted to know if there was a way to "make sure" other than trying each solution out, or if what I described points to one specific conclusion...
Factory Service Manual. Read it. Love it. (Without the link they're more than $100, if you can find one.)

Trucks aren't Tinker Toys; you can't just describe the problem and have anyone tell you "replace this part." But the manual tells you exactly how to diagnose the problem using a multimeter. It seems most likely (to me) to be a problem in the switch in the shifter (misleadingly called "shift lock control switch" if it actually controls the key interlock). And probably not the switch itself, but whatever it is on the shifter that pushes the switch.

If diagnosing an electrical problem using the manual is something that you'd rather not do, that's okay. Just take it to a mechanic who can do it.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:20 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
The two arrows point to different parts and using the same label is a typographical error. The one on the bottom of the stick is the switch. It's the most likely source of the error, it's either malfunctioned, not connected to the shifter or just needs tighened to it's mount.

The manual tells you how to test the switch. AT-215. unplug it and connect a meter, it doesn't tell how to adjust it but that should be pretty obvious can't be more than a couple nuts screws or bolts in there.

And just for reference, you can get the FSM from toyota thru a "tech pass" for about 25-35$, and that switch does controll both the key lock and shift lock.

It's unsafe because, it is a safety device that is not functioning properly. I was originally thinking it was part of the starter safety system, eg you turn the key and back into or jump forward into someone/thing. Which it may or not be on the same system, and yes I know there is the "park start switch-a-ma-thing", but I'm not going to go look. In particular if the system described on that page isn't functioning someone could bump the shifter or bump the car, out of park into neutral, or it could just jump out by it's self, and become a runaway. Not to mention every time you connect a battery there is a chance of it exploding And battery acid, even the dry crusty stuff, can cause pretty severe burns if left on your skin or cloths ect.